Welcome to the forum

CCA Hill Climb Championship 2019 - Sunday 20th October - RESULTS AND WRITE-UP

edited October 2019 in Time Trial
Can anyone beat our reigning Ladies' and Gentlemens' Champions (Ms. Andrews and Mr. Lawless respectively)? A single assent of Hatch Lane, Baldock will find out.

Details to follow.

Comments

• Sorry to ask this so late in the day but this clashes with a League Cyclo-Cross race. Would it be possible to shift it so that some of the CX riders could have a go?

Free dates are Sat 12th Oct, Sat 26th Oct, Sun 3rd Nov or Sun 10th Nov.

I probably wouldn't be able to make it anyway but I know some of our Juniors and Youth would be keen to have a go.
  • Much as I'd like to move the date to get a wider uptake, we can't bring the date forward because we need to give 42 days prior notice with our insurers CTT and 28 with the police (today is 34 days to the scheduled date). Any later and it starts to get really cold for our skinny climbers! Last year the Hill Climb was later in November and I can confirm how cold it was as I stood on the bridge at the finish timing the riders. So the 2019 date was moved forward. So, I'd rather not push it back any further.

Unfortunately, sorry I can't help out this time. However, if there are any CXers who will be missing the League date for whatever reason, we'd be delighted to have them along :-)

Looking at some of the postings on the Forum, it looks like January 2020 when we'll be planning the dates for the TT year is way too early to know the CX League dates. The third weekend in October clashes with half-terms. So I'm going to juggle the 2020 date around to see if we can strike a balance. But if you have a crystal ball or can see a pattern of regular CX League dates in October/early November, we could have a go at trying to avoid them for 2020.
  • Andy, that’s a pity. Clashes with half term and cross race. Ella me and Lucy would love to do the hill climb but a November date would have worked better for us I’m afraid. Will see but there are so few cross races and you have to race a high proportion of them for league places. Worth checking with cyclo cross when organising winter events.
  • Andy, I meant to say thanks all the same for organising a date and fully support you on fixing a date.
    Will probably miss the cross to race the club hill champs all the same.
  • Hi Vince, No worries 😊 I appreciate the frustration of the calendar clash. Will fix this in 2020.
  • Hi Folks,

The event takes place this year with a single ascent of Hatch Lane, Baldock, the start being located at the junction of London Road (the road leaving Baldock via the Tesco Roundabout at the top of the High Street in the direction of the A1 junction) and Chalk Hills. First rider off is at 09.31. Cost £4 to cover CTT levy and costs with reduced rates for Juniors/Youth. Sign-on at a car boot parked nearby. Hot drinks and cakes will be served at the top and possibly a celebratory beer too!

First claim CCA compete for the Hill Climb Club Championship. Depending on the categories of participants, there may be an ad hoc Vets, Junior/Youth etc. winner announced too.

Lady competitors especially welcome! :-)

I will be using "Grumpy Teenager" as time keeper at the bottom and I will push off. We should be able to run the event with one, but preferably two additional helpers to do the finish line timekeeper and spotting in case of close finishes (the finish being at the bridge over the A505). Please let me know if you can assist.

Please post if you have any questions. See you there!
  • Sorry I’m going to have to do the cross race. Unfinished business.
    Hey there is an arkseden hill champs on 2nd nov. So book that in your hill climb diaries and race that also. Local and Ashwell could smash it like the inter club.
    Good luck all riding the Ashwell hill climb
  • We're still looking for one helper to let this event go ahead. Please post up if you can help! Thanks.
  • I will be there. Not feeling 100% at the moment so that could resolve the 3rd helper. Although if I did ride, could we do a rotating pusher? First rider off comes back down. Happy to do that if I am riding. Last rider off does the first pushing?
  • edited October 2019
    Thanks Matt, That could work. Though I'd like everyone competing to have a "fair shake of the sauce bottle" as the Australians call it. Let me do a little nudging behind the scenes and we'll see what turns up. Cheers.
  • If there are any Sunday club run riders out there who would like to compete or come and watch, we could always use an extra pair of hands. I'm happy to take any clothing you don while you're helping that you want to shed before heading off for the rest of your ride and return it so as not to weigh you down for your onward ride. Thanks!
  • edited October 2019
    A chilly, dew-soaked day break greeted organisers, helpers and riders alike, but thankfully there was no sign of wind or yesterday's rain showers. Unfortunately, the lurgy had struck our 2018 CCA Hill Climb Ladies' and Gents' champions and with a number of other notables similarly laid low and the date selected at the beginning of 2019 clashing with half term holidays, a cyclocross event and the Rugby World Cup quarter-final featuring Wales, rider numbers were sadly on the low side.

That said, "you have to be in it to win it" and with silverware up for grabs, two CCA contestants signed-up for each category and were joined by our friend Mr. Saunders from Hitchin Nomads. And it was Mr. Saunders who prevailed to win the Gents' event on the morning bettering our new CCA Mens' champ Mr. Palmer by two seconds, getting his own back on Mr. Palmer for the reverse result in the recent Inter-Club Hill Climb event. Mr. Wells was a creditable second.

The Ladies' event was graced by a new CCA member, Ms. Holm, who we welcome heartily - a first graduate from the Club's Tootle initiative. Ms. Koppe arrived with a freshly acquired sore throat - hopefully not that lurgy again! - but properly warmed up having left home early for a long warm up and to avoid the tension of the Welsh Rugby team's poor start in their quarter final game! :-) So it was Ms. Koppe who triumphed, but with Ms. Holm not too far behind, we look forward to Ms. Holm returning next year to better this year's "sighter" time! :-)

We thank the 2018 Ladies' Hill Climb Champ, Ms. Andrews, and Master Nunn for helping on the day.

Results (all CCA unless otherwise indicated)
    A. Saunders (HNCC) 2.23
    M. Palmer 2.25*
    D. Wells 2.39
    E. Koppe 3.07*
    P. Holm 3.19
    *Indicates new Category 2019 CCA Hill Climb Champion.
  • Thanks very much Andy and Jenny for running the event, it couldn’t have happened without you. Big thanks also for the hot drinks and cake at the finish - a nice thoughtful little treat. Welcome to CCA Paula, finally good to meet you after seeing your name at many sporting events/Strava.
    I was finally good to go home once I knew Wales had secured a semi final place in the closing minutes and my reward was to go and do another 40miles of hills with David which really hasn’t helped my lurgy but at least he’s happy 😀