Welcome to the forum

G-Ride Spring Classic - Now Sunday 26th July

edited July 2020 in Club runs
Spring Classic G-Ride 2020 Sunday 3rd May

CCAs second spring classic will be on, even if Strade Bianchi is not.

8.30am from the Three Tuns. Slightly earlier start to make sure we complete all sections this year.

Think of it as our version of the Spring Classics rolled into one on the surfaced (rough and potholed but surfaced) and unmade lanes of Hertfordshire. Not just flat sections but including some short sharp climbs. 90 miles with 20 miles of unmade roads. Virtually the same route as last year with the section through Baldock tidied up. I'll create a route file for everyone so we can split into a couple of groups. Everything can be ridden on a road bike and no special bike handling skills needed.

The only rule is your bike must have road/touring tyres, no cyclo-cross tyres. Otherwise I recommend you leave your best carbon bike at home. No dodgy red £5 tyres either. It's doable on 25mm tyres but 28mm will be more comfortable.

Lunch stop at Something Lovely Tea Rooms at Puckeridge.

Book out the whole day it's not a ride to rush, although the last 20 miles or so can be a bit more hectic.

A badge for every finisher again - please Martin!

Guests welcome as long as I know how may.

Comments

• We are going to attempt to run this on Sunday 26th July.

In self sufficient groups of 4 - 6. We will park and start from the club field at Small Gains where there is more space. Setting off at 5 minute intervals from 8:30am. I expect there to be 2 or 3 groups.

It's unlikely that we will be able to do cafe stops although individual groups may be able to stop as there are a couple of cafes on the route. It's safer to assume you will need to be self sufficient for food.

I will set up a water station at my house in Melbourn with hand sanitiser.

I need a couple of volunteers to be group leaders.

• I can't commit at this time; is may be in a tent. Keen to ride if I am not under canvass.
  • I'd like to join and give this a try please :) first CCA classic!
  • Am interested too, cheers.
  • So far we have,

Richard L
    Dave H
    Chris P
    Alistair
    Mark W

• Hi all, looking forward to this, could be a slightly damp day. Mark, do you have a route file for reference? Are we meeting at the Tuns or Grass Track as i've not been there. Cheers
  • No Thomas this year Mark - he's away for a week
  • Chris,
    We will meet at the Grass Track which is down Small Gains lane. Head towards Odsey on Station Road and take the unmade road on your left just before the speed chicane/derestriction.

I'll send you a route in the next couple of days. There are a couple of tweaks I want to make. Email me your address to mark@ccashwell.com.
  • Still room for one more to make a group of 6. Slight tweaks from last years route so it's up to about 95 miles.
  • For the Record (Covid Reg) there were 4 of us out.
    Mark W
    Alistair
    Chris P
    (old) Dave H

Dave had to bail at Weston after a mechanical but the remaining 3 had a puncture free ride with a pleasant lunch at the tea rooms in Puckeridge. Surprisingly dry after the overnight rain.
  • Very good ride, though I am broken now. I finished with 105 miles on the clock.

Thanks for organising and leading Mark and thanks to both you and Chris for dragging me around, I am not in my best shape.