Welcome to the forum

The Yorkshire Beast 2019

Having signed up for this event at the end of last year together with the “Cheshire Cat” and “Tour of the Peak” to hopefully get a set of three interlocking medals seemed like a good idea at the time.

So with 2 down the final event arrived this Saturday, which i was looking forward to but with some trepidation.

Saturday in Reeth dawned with blue skies and not a breath of wind, could not have hoped for better conditions, especially the recent few days. So at 0500 me and the other 170 riders set off.

Aware of the distance and the amount of climbing I tried hard to keep the efforts to sensible levels and pace.

The events are run by Velo29 who are well organised and provided 7 feeds stops that were well stocked with lots of savoury food (pork pies, sausage rolls, filled rolls and even a BBQ at one stop. There was also massages available from stops 3 - 7.

At each stop there was a count down clock giving time to when the “Beast” wagon would arrive that was following the route at 12.5mph. If caught by the Beast there would no medal and you would have been Beasted.

The route took in the climbs of ‘Boltby, Cape, Rosedale, Greenhow, Park Rash and Grinton in addition to the general rolling terrain, sheep and cows. By Rosedale the gradients were starting to take their toll and the field looked like sailing boats as they tacked their up the 1:3 slope.

So after 14hrs 27mins I made back to the finish at the Dales Bike centre having suffered 1 puncture.

The stats were 326km, 5139m and according to the Garmin 8030 calories. Beer has never tasted so good.

Comments