Welcome to the forum

Gritfest

Good luck to all those at Gritfest this weekend.

Comments

• A great weekend, lovely weather, great company, and we won the tug of war! I'm sure one or more of the riders will post up their review of the riding but for now here are some pictures I took. If anyone wants a copy let me know and I'll pop them on a memory stick we can share around.

• CCA were represented by 5 members at the first Gritfest last year; this time our camp comprised 18 people. James D, Vince, Steve J, Archie, Iain, Ben, Dave, Richard, Andrew L, Sam, Peter, Thomas, Robert, Stevie, Mark, myself, Theo and our good friend from St Neots CC Simon Richardson. Sadly Ed couldn’t make it due to illness.

Last year it was super hot and dry, unheard of in Wales. Amazingly this year was also baking hot. The countryside around Llandovery is simply incredible and very sparsely populated so a joy to be riding through.

The concept of the event is to have two long loops over two days with timed stages along the way; like a rally. This allows for great eye balls out racing but also club run riding to enjoy the scenery and laughs. The course is on what could generally be called ‘fire roads’, so heavy gravel and fines. Some stages were rolling whilst others focused on climbing and descending.

We all had a ball. Of note was Steve Jennings amazing placing of 13th in the young Vets (40-49), Vince 15th in the proper Vets (50-59), Stevie 5th in the Vet women and Sam 33rd in the Seniors. Full results here: LINK

On Saturday evening there was a tug of war competition and we were more or less obliged to enter a team. In fact we entered 1.8 teams which meant winning the first pull was quite straightforward! Overall victory was ours but hard won beating the caters who comprised several farmers. Our winning team was Stevie, Dave, Robert, Andrew and anchor man monsieur Gateau from St Neots.

A truly brilliant weekend of great company, amazing riding and excellent racing. Special thanks to ‘camp mum’ Robert and Dave’s incredible vegi chilli.
  • Sounds like great fun and the pictures are great.

Another entry on the potential 2020 itinerary!
  • Well done all :-) What a great turn out and brilliant results !!!
    Jackie