Welcome to the forum

Maratona Trip

Hi,

I thought I would chronicle my trip to the Dolomite's for your pleasure as i've had a few request to keep you updated!

The Maratona is a large scale Gran Fondo, and I am planning to the longest route which is 138km and 4230 metres of climbing. For this i've been taking advantage of the opportunity to get some mileage in this year at Geoff's in Yorkshire with the aim of riding longer and steeper climbs than you would get in Hertforshire/Bedfordshire to get in a good shape for the event.

So yesterday I flew from Heathrow at 9am and managed to grab some sleep on the plane, and then began a 3 hour transfer to Corvara. What started out as sunny transfer, turned dark and wet as soon as we got near the mountains. The roads were very twisty and I started to feel motion sickness as I tried to use my phone to spec up a grass track bike!

Finally we arrived at Corvara and the rain had stopped and checked in with no issues. The bike, the Bowman Palace R was built up with no issues, unlike a few others who had small problems.

A 3 course tasty enjoyable meal was very much enjoyed before a walk into town to try buy a toothbrush, as I somehow forgot mine!

I took a few photos as the scenery was stunning and very atmospheric:

Comments

• I will try post an update from today's ride a little later!
  • Looks incredible!
  • Sorry I didn't update yesterday - I was too tired!

So yesterday (Thursday) was an early start of 7am with breakfast at 7:30am and out on the ride by 8;30am with a threat of thunderstorms potentially around lunch.

I set off with my room mate Paul, a 68kg climber straight onto the Passo Gardena and onto 8% and 9% pitches which left me gasping for breath (i'm at 1,600 metres of altitude), though i'm unsure whether it was the altitude or trying to keep up with a 68kg climber! Gradually my breath and legs came back to me and i managed to find a rhythm and pull back Paul who admitted he went off to fast.

Quick descent and we started climbing the Passo Sella which was 5km and not so difficult, we stopped and had a quick espresso and an opportunity for a photo:

Another fast descent with Paul streaking in front and then the climb of Passo Pordoi at 9.2Km with an average of 6.9% which flew by as we chatted the whole way up. At the top it was time for coffee and cake and more photos:

A final descent and then the easy climb of Passo Campolongo.

So yesterday we did the Maratona short route in reverse, which was 52.5Km and 2077 metres of climbing.

No mechanical's except my power meter ran out of battery, though it was nice to ride on feel alone for a change.