Welcome to the forum

Prudential Ride London 2020

edited February 2020 in Sportives
I seem to have got a place for the first time this year !! Any general Top Tips for Tim wd be really appreciated....from logisitics point of view ...etc... :)

Comments

• Congrats Skelders! Say you will complete the ride very quickly - 4:20 estimated so you get a nice early start. You'll get pulled along and can sit in wheels or at least avoid the queues up Leith Hill. Be prepared for a very early start. I booked parking at Lea Valley Ice Rink then rode to start (about 20mins easy - note was dark!) Then prepared route back from finish (30mins steady) i used a bin bag gilet before start as it's warm once in the pen with everyone else. Assume a lot of people are idiots and generally ride defensively/ be VERY clear with comms. I drove down on the morning as stayed in Harlow with parents, you have to go to Excel the day for race pack the before which is a massive faff..you may want to stay in London - i'll leave costs for you to decide. It was great fun on the day though.
  • Well done Skelders - it's a great day out! I've done it a few times, and there's honestly no better way to ride through London at crazy speeds on the wrong side of the road. Still not managed to break the 4 hour barrier though, after I got two punctures last year - take a couple of tubes, and don't rely on CO2! Also, take enough food and drink if you're planning on a quick time - you could waste a lot of time in the traffic of feed stations. Most importantly, when they ask you for your predicted finish times, be ambitious - you will go faster than you ever thought possible, and the closer to the front you start, the quicker the ride tends to be...

Once again, I've not managed to get a place in the ballot - I'd be up for a team place again if we get offered any places please - I have unfinished business with that 4 hour barrier...!
  • I'm also up for a team spot if we get one.
  • Gents, that is really helpful, thank you. I had obviously read your previous reviews on the ride but wasnt sure on logistics.... will look into it today. Cheers
  • It's a brilliant day out. Don't have much to add to what Chris and Dave said. Bring two of the largest water bottles available if you want to avoid stopping. Starting early is key. The logistics are a bit of a nightmare (excel the day before, and the early start) but it is worth it. I've failed to get a place in the ballot for the 8th year in a row, but luckily have done it through the club places. I knew you'd be back Dave - you can break that 4 hour mark!
  • I've got a place. Done it once before. Great day out. Last time I picked up starter pack for another rider as well as myself, happy to do the same again.
  • I'd like a place in team ballot if the Club applies again this year. Not sure how or who applies on behalf of the club?
  • I would be interested in a place if one is available through the club.
  • Taff and I have done this a few times. Stayed in London the night before for a less so early morning and short cycle to the start. Both times we got quite drunk the night before though, which didn’t help. Be prepared for lots of wheel suckers. Not many people like to do any work at the front of groups. Make sure you got enough in the tank for a fast finish back through London.
  • Done it a few times through ballot and club. Would agree with most of what has been said. Go for early start is a must. We have been coming back into London around Kingston way and seen massive tailbacks of very slow riders who late start still heading out.
    We parked in an NCP one which they recommend which was equidistant between start and finish which was very easy to drive to with the early start. It is good fun but there is some very questionable riding. You need your wits about you. You could also get diverted or severely delayed for bad weather or accidents but if it all goes right a memorable and fun day on the bike.
    Stef as club chair organised the team entries. So now Emma?
  • Lots of Top Tips, thank you, have booked a hotel for the Saturday near the start :-)
  • the Club Challenge application process took place in April last year. Info hasnt been updated for this year yet, I guess it will be similar again late March/April before we hear anything.

Someone needs to coordinate the entry. In the past they have said it needs to be a club official but its not clear if thats really the case or not.
  • Hi Stef, thanks for sorting it in the past- seeing as I've benefitted from your services previously, I'd be happy to take on the coordination role- do I need to get in touch with them, or do we just sit tight and wait for contact in April?
  • edited February 2020
    Thanks Dave. Just have to wait for contact! We should get an email at some point but can also keep an eye on the website. It’s not been updated since 2019 yet.
    Club challenge
  • Hi Dave - I got an email today on the Club Challenge, have forwarded to you.
    Applications will close at 17:00 on Friday 20 March 2020.
  • Thanks Stef, I'll get on it...
  • Hi Dave, as per my previous post, I'd like to get a place via team ballot if possible? Let me know if you need any help or details. Thanks, Bob
  • edited March 2020
    Just to summarize for now (we won't find out how many places till next month) - order so far according to this page:
    Dave
    Dan
    Bob
    John Highfield
    Keith
    Brendan
    Let me know if anyone's been missed off this list or missed out on the ballot and wants a place...
  • Dave. If there is a spare place would like to ride. My online application was refused again. But put in preference anyone of the other riders if they have not done it. Thanks Keith
  • Good news (provisionally): we have been allocated two teams of four (male) category for Ride London (assuming it goes ahead, there doesn't seem to be much discussion about this currently).
    Thoughtfully, the organisers have postponed the deadline for paying until the 26th June, when I would hope we should have a better idea of the likelihood of the event happening.

We currently have 6 people on the list, so need to recruit a further two - although if I'm reading this right, if we don't fill the second team, the two people will still get individual places- so not a big deal - I've never been sure what makes it a 'team' place anyway, as you don't necessarily start at the same time as your teammates..?

Please let me know if your plans have changed and you no longer want to take part - otherwise, you don't have to do anything, until I get sent the link for registration by 1st May. Well, maybe think about training a bit...

Please see below the email I've been sent:

Dear Cycle Club Ashwell (CCA)

We are delighted to tell you that your application into the 2020 Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 Club Challenge on Sunday 16 August, has been successful.

You have been allocated:

0 Female team(s)

2 Male team(s)

0 Mixed team(s)

Please note the above allocation cannot be swapped for a different type of team.

Please be advised that the deadline has now changed for when each rider must complete and make payment (£79) for their entry– it is now 17:00 on Friday 26 June. You will be sent an entry link by 17:00 on Friday 1 May at the latest. If you have been allocated more than one team, you will receive additional emails for each team allocated.

Important: if all four members in a team do not complete their entry, they will not receive a team time. However, they will still receive an individual time. It is not possible to merge any incomplete teams.

Please note:

· A team comprises of four riders.

· Every rider in a team must be a current British Cycling member.

· Male and female teams must only consist of riders of the same gender.

· Mixed teams must consist of at least one male and one female.

· Riders who hold an Elite or Category 1 British Cycling Race Licence are not eligible to enter the Club Challenge.

· Riders who have already secured an individual place through the original entry ballot or a charity place are not eligible to enter the Club Challenge.

· Once a rider has paid for their entry, they are not able to transfer their entry to another rider. Should riders no longer wish to take part, they can withdraw and defer their place to the 2021 event. This will be possible after Friday 26 June.

If you have any enquires please email clubentries@ridelondon.co.uk

Kind Regards

The Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 Team
  • Hi Dave. Good to get two team slots this year. I am still in if it goes ahead
    Keep well.
    Keith
  • Interestingly, the newly-released UCI race calendar includes the London Prudential Classic - for pro-purposes, there's obviously some hope that it will go ahead- so if they're closing the roads for that, is there a chance the mass event might still happen? Don't give up training just yet...🤞
  • Uh-oh...
  • Cycling weekly have just reported that this is now cancelled for this year :-(
  • Yeah, a shame, but not really a surprise. Next year...