Welcome to the forum

Ashwell - Wells-Next-The-Sea Classic 2020

edited August 2020 in General
The Ashwell — Wells-Next-The-Sea Classic 2020

Friday, 4th September 2020, 8.15am start from Rhubarb & Mustard
123 miles to the beach and then back on the train from King's Lynn.

Route:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28509468

COVID guidelines…

Not a formal club 'event', instead effectively a group ride (in groups of up to 6 if need be), with this forum thread being used to track names.

In a nutshell…

The only point-to-point Classic in the CCA calendar. Destination: The North Sea for fish and chips. Or, if you only fancy just some of the ride, we are always fairly near train stations (bring your mask), so there are plenty of options to bail out.

Self-sufficiency is essential. Bring everything you need; mask, a map or some way to self-navigate if you end up solo for whatever reason. We will go to The Stag in West Acre for a lunch stop.

If the weather forecast is rubbish: we'll cancel in advance. Though, frankly, that didn't stop us in the Great Downpour 2017 Edition… Shudder.

It seems like a long way, but Norfolk miles are different. Add in a bit of group drafting and all the lols along the way and you’d be forgiven for thinking it was just a ride to the shops for a pint of milk.

Some good things to know…

It'll be groups of up to 6 riders - if current guidelines remain. Let's look to be super disciplined in our group riding.

We will hit Arrington Hill early on (A1198) with the tail end of rush hour. Single-out and avoid spreading out and causing inconvenience to traffic.

We ride a short section of the A10 shortly after the onion-odoured canalside lane of Ten Mile Bank. Single out on this A-road, perhaps set off in small groups, stay extra vigilant.

Ensure you're able to navigate to one of the stations along the way should you need to bail out at some point. Ely, Downham Market and King's Lynn are in easy reach of the route to shorten the ride if need be.

Please only confident riders at the back please. And only take the front if you're confident of where you're headed. Shout out if you're suffering and keep an eye out for anyone getting lost behind - or shooting off the front down a blind alley and into one of the many pig farms we pass along the way. Bootiful.

Buy train tickets at King's Lynn in groups to get a slight discount. The Fenman pub is good for a pint while awaiting a train. I am unsure if we can order buffet food there at the moment - it may be best to buy things individually if need be. We should be able to store our bikes in the back garden. Let’s lock them all together.

We may have to split and go on a few trains throughout the evening, if there are many of us. Let's be accommodating to the staff and passengers and prioritise those who need to get back pronto.

Bring good lights. It will be dark towards the end of the ride and pitch black the other side of the train journey.

Some may want to ride there and back. Use this forum thread to get a posse together for that if you like.

This ride is always a good laugh, gives a great sense of achievement, and is a nice way to bookend the summer and let you chat with fellow riders. It's not a formal CCA event: so non-CCA members are very welcome.

I hope you can make it.

Cheers!

Comments

• Very interested. WFH payback at last. David
  • Count me in please Martin
  • Martin L
    Matt S
    David M
    Dan H
  • I’m in. Cheers Ryan
  • Add me please Martin. Thankyou
  • A mate of mine, Spencer will join us. Cheers
  • Will decide for sure nearer the time, but possibly up for a return trip leaving at 6am from the tuns. Post up if you’re interested. In the past we’ve usually managed 5-6 of us. It’s important that your bike is in good nick and you’ve got vaguely fresh tyres fitted properly. Because of the distance, the less time stopping the better!
  • Can I put my name down to ride both ways please .
    rob
  • Martin L
    Matt S
    David M
    Dan H
    Ryan
    Keith
    Spencer
    Will
    Robert B
  • I’m in. Just checking CCA Keith
  • Holiday booked, count me in.
  • CCA Keith in
  • I’m up for this also, please add me to the list.
  • edited August 2020
    Martin L
    Matt S
    David M
    Dan H
    Ryan
    Keith L
    Spencer
    Will
    Robert B
    Jess
    Graham
    VCC Keith
    Nick
  • +Stef
    +Paul B

Thanks for organising Martin
  • Usual birthday ride Stef!... Bit earlier this year!
  • Olympics.. Cancelled
    European Football Championships.. Cancelled
    Wimbledon.. Cancelled
    Wells Ride Classic.. Defying the Covid-19 rule book!
  • Hi Martyn, I'd be interested in doing the there and back. Obvs dependent on weather and if there's enough interest.
  • Exactly Matt, where better to celebrate birthdays than The Fenman after a 123 mile ride!
  • ...No blowing the candles out on the cake now - unless the cake is in some kind of sterilized bag.

Martin L
    Matt S
    David M
    Dan H
    Ryan
    Keith L
    Spencer
    Will [there and back]
    Robert B
    Jess
    Graham
    VCC Keith
    Nick
    Stef
    Paul B
    Will R
    Taff [there and back]
  • For those who are up for the there and back ride, just note that if we do it it will be rolling through, through and off. If you’re not familiar with this then it’s easy to pick up and quite good fun, passes the time pretty quickly too! Free speed basically, like a really slow chaingang. I can’t emphasise the tyres thing enough... getting back before dark would be nice!
  • Agree, tyres super important. Surprising how much time this eats up! Check your cuts!
  • Étape cancelled, Belgium unlikely....

This cd be my first Wells trip 👍
  • oh bugger, board meeting that day 😥
  • Hello riders
    Rhubarb & Mustard have confirmed they will open for us on the Friday morning from 7.45am which is very kind of them. Please buy a coffee or juice and support local business. They will let us inside. They have a loo.
    Cheers.
  • We will be aiming to stop off in West Acre around 1pm.

We have spoken to the Stag Inn and they will be happy to receive us. To avoid delays and to help with Covid restrictions, we are able to pre order any food that you require.

The menu on offer is as follows:

Beef lasagne, chips & salad £10
    Beer battered cod, chips & peas £11
    Steak and ale pie £10
    Ploughman’s with ham & cheese £7
    Scampi, chips & peas £9
    Ham, egg & chips £8

Baguette or Sandwich with side salad £6

Tuna Mayo
    Cheese & Pickle
    Ham & Mustard

Side Orders

Chips £3

I assume there will also be crisps/nuts and other salt based snacks available!

If you would like food, please list your order below. I will collate the orders and phone them through to the pub 24 hrs before (3rd Sept).
  • Thanks Matt
    Ryan - Tuna Mayo Sandwich
    Spencer - Ham & Mustard Sandwich
    Cheers!
  • Day off taken, I'm in (the 123).
  • This ride is next Friday. The long-range forecast suggests decent conditions. All good. If you'd like to join, just let us know here on the forum.

7.45am at Rhubarb & Mustard for coffee.
    8.15am departing in groups of six, to the first stop-off at Ely Cathedral.

We are stopping off again at the Stag Inn, West Acre. If anyone wants to pre-order food: see above.

Cheers!

Martin L
    Matt S
    David M
    Dan H
    Ryan
    Keith L
    Spencer
    Will [there and back]
    Robert B
    Jess
    Graham