Welcome to the forum

Chaingang - Tues 20 April, 7pm

Tuesday's forecast... Good! Sunny with a gentle North-Easterly.

Let's stick to 7pm to get good light in for 2 laps. Sunset 8.06pm. From next week, there'll be a third lap on offer for the sadistic.

Probably two groups. 'Group 2' more inclusive at around 20-22mph average which is basically the same as doing the Club 10 TT in 30 minutes. If you're able to do that: you're fine, as the aero/energy benefits of drafting will help. Group 2 should let the other group go first by a minute or so - to avoid the chances of overlapping on the course.

See you Tuesday!

Standard chaino info...

If you want in on the 2021 Ashwell Chaingang WhatsApp group for the very latest updates on the evening: text me. Martin 07977652247

7pm - Depart Ashwell, Three Tuns at easy pace.
7.05pm - Meet up with those waiting at Steeple Morden pub/church and begin the chaingang. Let's have a quick discussion on groups here if need be before setting off.

1. We rotate the chain anti-clockwise all the way.

2. If there's less than 4, it's probably better making it a TTT instead of a chain.

3. All welcome. CCA members or not.

4. Feeling the burn? Before you blow up, sit out your place in the chain and simply hang on at the back saying 'Last!' so the gang knows to miss you out. Enjoy the free speed from the group draft effect and rejoin, rotating in the chain with clear communication once/if you have your breath back.

5. Aim for smoothness: the fast line is only fractionally faster (1mph) than the resting line, don't spring out of corners, don't overlap wheels, be super alert at all times and call out every hazard and manoeuvre.

6. "What if I get dropped?"… It can happen to anyone and that's fine: you are still officially bad-ass for turning up and doing it. Ease back or turn around and latch on the next lap, or solo TT to continue the effort . Come back next week and see if you can hold on for longer.

7. The 9-mile lap:
https://www.bikemap.net/en/r/996158/

Comments

• Cheers Martin and group 2 for an enjoyable ride.

Think group 2 were bit more than advertised (22-23mph) but seemed ok for all. Dave? I think? who joined at Steeple.. hope you weren't put off from coming back for more!
  • Group 1 had lap speeds 24.1mph and 24.7mph. Nice and smooth. Jenny scooped up the chaingang route QOM.

Bumped into a lost rider in Guilden beforehand. Turns out it was Andy from Sheffield who I raced against at the Tour of Malta in 2017. He was visiting while working near Cambridge. Jumped on to our chaingang!

I look forward to next week. Let’s try and keep the two groups pretty even and share rider numbers if we can.

Three laps on offer next week. I’m doing three whatever: jump on.
  • Group 2 stats. 23 dead on lap 1 and a slightly slower 22.6 on lap 2.