Welcome to the forum

Chaingang - Tues 27 April 2021, 7pm

edited April 2021 in Chain gangs

Tuesday's forecast... Keeping an eye on a possible band of heavy rain. Let's hope that goes away or holds off 7-8pm. Keep an eye on the WhatsApp group.

Assuming all is well.... Sunset is 8.18pm. Should be enough light for a third lap if desired.

If turnout is good: two groups. 'Group 2' more inclusive at around 20-22mph average which is basically the same as doing the Club 10 TT in 30 minutes. If you're able to do that: you're fine, as the aero/energy benefits of drafting will help. Group 2 should let the other group go first by a minute or so - to avoid the chances of overlapping on the course.

Standard chaino info...

If you want in on the 2021 Ashwell Chaingang WhatsApp group for the very latest updates on the evening: text me. Martin 07977652247

7pm - Depart Ashwell, Three Tuns at easy pace.
7.05pm - Meet up with those waiting at Steeple Morden pub/church and begin the chaingang. Let's have a quick discussion on groups here if need be before setting off.

1. We rotate the chain anti-clockwise all the way.

2. If there's less than 4, it's probably better making it a TTT instead of a chain.

3. All welcome. CCA members or not.

4. Feeling the burn? Before you blow up, sit out your place in the chain and simply hang on at the back saying 'Last!' so the gang knows to miss you out. Enjoy the free speed from the group draft effect and rejoin, rotating in the chain with clear communication once/if you have your breath back.

5. Aim for smoothness: the fast line is only fractionally faster (1mph) than the resting line, don't spring out of corners, don't overlap wheels, be super alert at all times and call out every hazard and manoeuvre.

6. "What if I get dropped?"… It can happen to anyone and that's fine: you are still officially bad-ass for turning up and doing it. Ease back or turn around and latch on the next lap, or solo TT to continue the effort . Come back next week and see if you can hold on for longer.

7. The 9-mile lap:
https://www.bikemap.net/en/r/996158/

Comments

• My phone tells me the rain won't start until 8pm, so 2 laps & we can stay dry. Third lap gets you wet.

I'm in!
  • edited April 2021
    Yes. Forecast now much improved. It looks similar to last week now.

I will be definitely doing 3 laps. If not many are up for it, let's TTT it.

See you all Ashwell Three Tuns 7pm.
  • A super smooth 22.7 for lap 1 and 22.6 on lap 2 for group 2
  • A nice 23.9mph lap 1, 24.1mph lap 2 and a 3-up TTT 23.5mph lap 3 for Group 1. I hope everyone got what they wanted from tonight.

We dodged the rain, mostly. It was a bit wet around Shingay. Lucky, as I hear it pelted it down nearby elsewhere. My computer said 6 degrees on the way home. Getting quite tired of the cold now.

Anyone who went into Group 2 this week should kinda get first dibs on Group 1 next week if they want in. We should generally try and make the groups even I think - or at least have a decent amount of riders in each group.