Welcome to the forum

Zwift Racing League - Round 1 TTT - 28th Sep - 7pm

edited September 2021 in General
Round 1 of this year's ZRL is a Team Time Trial. 30k around Watopia's Wasteband.

The Baboon Bandits (B) start time is 7:03pm + 3.5 delay.

Please post here if you would like to race... if you haven't already provided your ZwiftID, please do so also, although I'm not sure this will process in time to be included.

Comments

• Please put my name in the hat - thanks for organising.
  • The Aye Aye Army (A) is at 7:03pm + 3 delay.

Chris P, really need your ID asap.
    Anyone else please do so who hasn't already.

Martin
    Graham
    Chris L

Check your emails and junk folders to be accepted into the teams.
  • The science of the TTT as fine tuned during season 1 and 2.

All in Watts as generally flat and weight doesn't matter.

4 riders need to cross the line so take 4th riders 20 minute power and x 85% to get to nice resting watts.

Drafting for 4th rider is 35% more efficient. So 1st rider can be riding at 150% of 4th rider resting watts with 4th rider still "resting". This is the cap for riders on the front.

Front riders should be at this limit (or as close as they can get) for as long as reasonable to keep speed. So powerful riders just longer on front, less so, shorter. 45 to 90 seconds works well.

Next key is staying in line. Zwift will not overtake a rider if speeds roughly the same even if watts are higher. So spread the power range between places. See below.

For As

4th rider powers for As usually around 280/290 Watts.

So 285 X 85% is 250 watts. Recovery watts.
    Front rider. 250 X 150% is 375 watts. Max front watts.
    Note 5min power is good indication of what is reasonable as max for each rider over 60 seconds.

In reality this worked well but if coming through at max watts then it tended to split. So come through at 350 watts and build up (if possible) and back down again before handing over.

2nd rider 300 watts
    3rd rider 265 watts
    4th rider 250 watts
    5th and 6th lower

It is really important to stick to these lower watts for riders behind to stay inline. A lot of wasted energy to get back in position. See tips below.

For Bs

In theory identical as powers similar, just heavier riders.

However, top end power likely to be a bit less so 350 to 375 powers may not be sustainable.

So suggest target 350, coming through at 325 to start to get the feel.

Tips.

On uphills limit the w/kg. Say 4 Bs and 4.5 As. Stay together unless agreed to strategically sacrifice a rider (worked really well in NY last time).

On downhills. Give it some as difficult to drop anyone. As long as build slowly no limit to max power. 500 watts no problem if decent long enough. Just hit the power if you roll through.

On the change over. Count down from 5. Stop all power at 0 and then sprint when nearly the last rider. 2nd rider builds at about 2 count.

When out of position. Easier to move up then down. So rider behind increase power for short period (not too much as speed builds and then shoot off front!)

Make sure line up is agreed beforehand. Group more powerful riders together to get smoother change overs. ***This is really important***

At some point for max speed cut down to 4 if needed.

I'm sure others will chip in with more!

Good luck!
  • Nice one Matt. I suggest that 20 min power needs to be divided as this is gonna be double that duration... definitely not doing 325w pulls!!
  • Hi Matt, sorry i didnt see this sooner: Zwift i.d: 836514 let me know if i can join
  • Thanks Chris. Matt, yes let's see what teams we have and we can revise figures. Good point on length. The longer one last time I can remember being in bits at the end.
  • Chris P look at for the email. Can take up to 8 hours to arrive!
  • Make sure you add your name here If you want to race tomorrow (@7pm) so we can select appropriate teams.

So far:

Matt S
    Matt P
    Martin L (need to confirm team emails)
    Chris P
  • Email received thanks for sorting Matts! With the race pass on the ZRL page do i need to do anything or just have it there to show ive been invited
  • I think it's just there to show you've been invited. We will send a race sign-up link once we have the teams in.
  • PS we need 4 minimum per team to compete.
  • edited September 2021
    I'm in (for B ).
  • I can race if needed but will be off pace for a TTT unless you want a lead out
  • You'll be stronger than me Dan!
  • I’m in for B (hanging on for dear life most likely)
  • Matt S
    Matt P
    Martin L
    Chris P
    Tim A
    Chris L
    Dan H
  • edited September 2021
    Just found a shed load of ZRL emails in my junk folder. All: have a look there if you're still waiting for the confirmation emails.

I received invites for A and B teams and clicked yes to both. I guess it's useful to be in both teams in case the Aye-Ayes need a sub.

Assuming I'm in to race tomorrow, I will charge my headphones up and log into Discord e.g. half hour before the race. I'll assume links will be sent out some time before the madness.

The TTT technique advice above is interesting. I'm also putting a shout out there for "Easy" and "Hup" as a basic way to yo-yo through it all over Discord.

• Matt S
    Matt P
    Martin L
    Chris P
    Tim A
    Chris L
    Dan H
    Vince P
  • Excellent, we have the numbers.

Suggesting the following teams

Team A

Matt P
    Chris P
    Chris L
    Vince P
    Adam L if recovered

Team B

Matt S
    Martin L
    Tim A
    Dan H

We'll set up a WhatsApp Group for easier communication.

Links to follow.
  • Still space for more riders... we can have 6 in each team.
  • Team A

Matt P
    Chris P
    Chris L
    Vince P
    Adam L if recovered

Team B

Matt S
    Martin L
    Tim A
    Dan H
    Paul H
  • Great racing last night everyone, there are only a couple of TTT's this season but it definitely seemed one of the smoothest yet, apologies again for dropping out and top work you all for ploughing on!
  • Baboons were super troopers last night. All sorts of tech issues, me loosing WiFi and Paul dropping his phone so no audio!

Despite that, everyone ploughed on to ensure 4 finished together.

Results/League standings to follow.
  • Yep, agree with above. Some very strong legs in the A team 💪

It was a great race, and also good fun in a slightly masochistic kind way!
    I hope we did ok and have a decent result, even with the skinny old dude in tow.

Chris P you were going strong until that puter glitch hit - a shame but hey, you were a great driver until then.