Welcome to the forum

John Meadows - Condolences

It is with a heavy heart that I announce the death of long time Ashwell and Royston CC member John Meadows, who passed away last weekend

The Committee and I would like to send our condolences to his family and all in the area that knew him. I have reached out to Royston CC for contact details for his family to arrange the sending of flowers/a card. Please get in touch if you have any messages you would like forwarding

Thanks
Chris Potter - Club Secretary

Comments

• Very sad to hear that John has passed away; he was a very likeable and considerate person who was always willing to help anyone, especially if an inexperienced cyclist. A sad loss to both clubs, please pass on our thoughts to his family at this difficult time.
  • Extremely sad. A true gentleman on and off the bike.
  • So sad.
    Had many rides and conversations with John over the years, Sandie and I would often bump into him in Royston and have a chat.
    Please give his family our condolences.
    Dave and Sandie Norris.
  • that is very sad :( always chirpy and good chats on rides. remember him cheering us on while marshalling as well on the old 10!
  • That is sad news, I also remember chats with John very fondly.
  • This is so sad to hear - John was really encouraging when we first started turning up to saturday club rides without much idea about group riding, and fascinating to talk to about obscure/classic bikes; he really was an encyclopaedia on wheels...
  • Really sad news, John was always so pleased to see you and a real pillar of the local cycling community, he will be sorely missed.
  • edited November 2021
    That is sad news. I worked with John on the A10 Cycle path campaign and we created a video together of the existing path. He was such a driving force behind the campaign and it's a shame he won't get to see and ride the route and bridge when it's finally built. He also had a great video collection and we attended his screening of a couple of films.
  • edited November 2021
    All, i plan on organising a card and some flowers on behalf of the club for Johns Family. If you would any specific messages in the card please message me here on secretary@ccashwell.com

I will pass on the general comments above anyway
  • It's only now with this news that I think back to all the different things John did in promoting cycling locally and helping the club. His enthusiasm was inspiring. He was really into the vintage stuff which I found fascinating. Always friendly and sociable. I'm glad I got to know him. Allez John!
  • I spent many happy Saturday morning club rides with John chatting about all the vintage machines he had tracked down restored. Don't think I known anybody else with so many red bikes or so many gadgets/tools to fix almost anything!

My best memory of him was the time he decided to buy a fixie (red obviously) and bring it out on a club run. All went well until we decided to go down Croydon hill where I've never seen anybody's legs spin so fast. Think after that the fixie went in the garage never to be seen again :)

He will definitely be missed by many, many people. RIP John
  • Such a lovely man and will miss him dearly. A sad loss of one of life's great characters
    RIP Mr Meadows
  • John was always so friendly and helpful when I first started cycling with the Club. He was one of life's really nice people and will be sadly missed.
  • Just searching the forum and this reminded me John gave me huge encouragement to dip my toe into Time Trialing...

https://forum.ccashwell.co.uk/discussion/3018/club-10-05-06-13/p1
  • Just seen this…what a shock....such a lovely man and a real gentleman….always great company on and off the bike..always encouraging ..will be greatly missed…thoughts are with his family
  • John’s funeral is at 11.00 on 6th December, with a wake afterwards. Jill Meadows would like to know numbers, so if you don’t have contact details and would like to attend please pm me and I’ll pass them on.
  • Very sorry to hear of John's passing - I fondly remember riding alongside him with all sorts of chat particularly on Bob's Wednesday group and afterwards at Hodwell. My condolences to the family.