Welcome to the forum

**UPDATE!** CCA Xmas Social - now a Blue Egg ride!!! Fri 17 Dec 2021, 9.30am

edited December 2021 in General
***** CHANGE OF PLAN... UPDATE as of 13/12/21...: *****

Hello all

The Christmas London ride and Letchworth social is scrapped. Change of plan...

Let's ride to the Blue Egg for lunch instead - a less densely populated destination. You can even eat outside.

9.30am departure from Ashwell Three Tuns. 70 easy pace miles. Back mid-afternoon. Maybe a festive pint in Ashwell - something like that.

Route:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38178244

See ya there!

Martin L

Friday, 17th December 2021... Celebrate the almost beginning of the days getting longer at the CCA Xmas Social. Join in for some or all of the day...

8.30am Three Tuns, Ashwell
If the weather is good enough, let's ride to the London Velodrome. 42 miles. Club run easy pace. Ride all the way, or tag along for a few winter miles. If riding all the way to London, pack a t-shirt, shorts n' flip-flops and a bike lock if going on to any of the social stuff later.

12.30pm approx
See you inside the warm velodrome for coffee and muffin. We will then tootle along the Regents canal towpath to the centre of London, and stash our bikes.

3pm approx
See you at the Olde Cheshire Cheese, Fleet Street. We'll be somewhere in one of the cellars - so likely no phone signal (Whatsapp?). Seek us out. Or grab a good table if you're early.

Evening
The Garden City Brewery in Letchworth. Maybe you can't take the day off? Then get over to the GCB after work. Anyone riding to London won't be there til 7.45pm as you can't put a bike on a train til after 7pm.

Curry?
The Shapla is around the corner from the GCB, if anyone fancies.

Comments

• Amazing... My favourite ride... Can't wait.
  • Bringing this back to the top, as things start going in the Xmas diaries around now...
  • Just a few weeks away now. Bringing to the top.

I'm in for the full day and have always enjoyed the mellow winter ride bit, cosy Dickensian London pub and then Letchworth catch-up. See you at some point along the way if not for all of it. Spread the word on your various WhatsApp groups... Ho ho ho.

• 2 weeks to go to THE destination ride of the year (2 years)
  • Looking drier than 2019...
  • edited December 2021
    Hello all

The Christmas London ride and Letchworth social is scrapped. Change of plan...

Let's ride to the Blue Egg for lunch instead - a less densely populated destination. You can even eat outside.

9.30am departure from Ashwell Three Tuns. 70 easy pace miles. Back mid-afternoon. Maybe a festive pint in Ashwell - something like that.

Route:

See ya there!

Martin L
  • This Covid has a lot to answer for!

See you Friday
  • I hope to come along too. It will be the longest ride I have ever attempted, so will try not to hold you up too much on the second leg ... (67 miles is my current record distance, as of Sunday)
  • Blue Egg Friday… 9.30am. 70 miles….

Martin L
    Matt S
    MC
    Vince F
    P Moore
  • edited December 2021
    Note the route makes the second half easier (flatter). And looks like we’ll have a slight tailwind.

We can also briefly stop off for a quick caffeine pep at the rather good El Cafecito in Fowlmere to reboot the pistons with about 12-13 miles to go.
  • Sounds great!
  • 70 miles after a max of 2 hours on Zwift should be interesting!
  • I'm keen, just a warning. I'm not at full fitness and this could be a struggle for me. Happy to just sit in the wheels.
  • Blue Egg Friday… 9.30am. 70 miles…. Easy pace. Sit in the wheels if ya like.

Martin L
    Matt S
    MC
    Vince F
    P Moore
    Taff
  • Blue Egg Friday… 9.30am. 70 miles…. Easy pace. Sit in the wheels if ya like.

Martin L
    Matt S
    MC
    Vince F
    P Moore
    Taff
    Carmelo
  • Blue Egg Friday… 9.30am from Ashwell Three Tuns. 70 miles…. Easy pace. Sit in the wheels if ya like.

Route:

Realtime GPS location weblink, so you can find us mid-ride:
    Will be posted on this thread Friday 9am

Martin L
    Matt S
    MC
    Vince F
    P Moore
    Taff
    Carmelo
    Jenny
    HJB
    Ade H
  • Looking forward to this. 70 miles is a shock but sure it will not be too evil
  • Got to work, have a great ride.
  • Hi gang
    Here is the real-time GPS position of where we are…

Pathshare: Ashwell Xmas Ride -

https://pathsha.re/e84555
  • 9 out this morning. Great ride. Fog a bit thick in places but we also had sun here and there. The Blue Egg was as good as usual.

Maybe it’ll be a similar club ride next Christmas. Let’s see what the future holds…

All being well, I’ll suggest a Christmas Eve morning ride for Friday.