Welcome to the forum

Winter tyres.....

edited October 2011 in General
Looking for a decent winter tyre choice, what's your opinions ? Vittoria Rubino Pro III folding tyre or the Conti GP4000s's ? Answers on a postcard !!!!!! Lol

Comments

• GP 4000's every time, I use them all year round without any problems.
  • 'S' for sticky ;-)
  • +1 on the Michelin Krylions, they've been great for me so far: no cuts or puntures last winter, unlike their predecessors.

They are still available, but i believe they are going to be phased out soon in favour of the 'endurance' version of the new Michelin Pro4s.

Note. Sod's Law states that the above statement will almost certainly result in a puncture on my next Club Ride on my winter bike !!
  • Vic, lol, thanx guys, now looks like a choice between michelins and the Conti's.....?
  • While I'm pretty much a newbie myself, I took a lot of advice from cyclist mates when picking my tyres, and the majority of them liked the Contis because they're solid year-round, have good grip without being too frictiony, and are pretty resistant to punctures. I'm happy with them, but as I've not tried anything else that doesn't mean very much!
  • Look what I did with my Pro 3 tyres…

null
  • Then again, here's the bike…
    null
  • edited October 2011
    Another vote for Michelin Krylions (available in both 23c/25c). I use PR3s during the summer and have just swapped back to Krylions. TBH, there's not that much of a difference regarding tyre feel and rolling resistance between the two. There is a difference regarding cut resistance, though, and the Krylion lasts a fair bit longer too.

You can get Krylions for £22 delivered via eBay at the moment...

Shaun
  • Vittoria pave have been well behaved so far. Wiggle were doing them £32 each bargain.
  • Just fitted Schwalbe Marathon Plus 25mm they are seriously heavy and very slow! Should help the training :-)

Fitted to my winter training and commuter.

They are the most puncture resistant tyres you can get. £20 each discount cycles......
  • Cheers guys, really need the 23's as opposed to the 25's as I need the clearance for my mudguards...... I thinks it's gonna be the Krylions...... I rode with them last year without to many problems.....
  • Just to add another set to the mix, I'd vote for Continental GP 4 seasons. Come in 23, 25 or even 28mm versions.

DavidJ
  • Tyre feedback test. Rode Krylion and Pro race 3 mix today on the wednesday club run (which was an excellent ride thanks all). Punctured the Krylion, just have to stick with the pro race 3 :-)
  • Interesting....... I rode the Krylions all last winter and only suffered 2 punctures...... Thanx ;-)
  • mickg and I are sticking to our guns....Vittoria Pave come out tops all round.