Welcome to the forum

Sunday 20/11/11 Club Run - a mixed bunch of abilities = unsettled ride :-(

edited November 2011 in Club runs
So a foggy start at 09:00 saw 1 ride created from I think 14 guys. All sounded good, however a few golden rules broken by most of the older hands. I don't wish to start an unecessary debate as its all been said before. But if there is a club run advertised then a club run it must be. I know I have fallen fowl to this myself in the past but rules is rules and the ride MUST look after all in the group.

We were fortunate enough to have a couple of new guys join the ride and as i was reminded half way round by one of them 'but it did say on the website all are welcome!' i don't think we were necesarily accomodating the 'all are welcome' statement on Sunday. So on behalf of the Club may I extend an apology to Doug if you are reading this, for it was not a good intro for you!

However, as discussed on the way round it was a slightly unusual Sunday as there was only 1 group when usually there are at least two. Also, for beginers/first timers we do run a monthly 'intro' ride plus a differing level Saturday ride. Needless to say, as a club we want to encourage new riders not 'blow their bloody doors legs off' :-)

So Doug, I do hope we haven't scared you off and please do join the Saturday group or indeed the beginer group next month.

:-}

Comments

• Oh dear,

Myself, Geoff and Scouse were on a first aid course last sunday for our coaching badge so were unable to take the club run which has been going very well so far.
    As a reminder, the sunday 9.00 club run is NO MORE than 40 miles and NO MORE than 15 to 17 mph. If you want to do more please use the 9.30 ride or split from the club run before you go too fast.

I will be taking the club run again this sunday so normal service will be resumed is 40 MILES MAX AT15-17 MPH
  • may I hasten to add that both James & Trahern along with myself & Shaun were ensuring that hopefully new members were looked after :-) it was just proving a little difficult to maintain...
  • Fair comment Napster Skelders

The Sunday run should not be a 'self- preservation society' ride (I did get the joke!)

It should be as fast as the least fastest rider- so join us again next Sunday Doug, when 'Rev' Tim will be resuming normal Sunday Service! A ' blessing' at 3 Tuns after?!

Charlie
  • turn our backs for a ride to do our first aid and look what happens :-)

Don't worry Doug....I think however that this discussion is a good reflection on the club.....we do try Doug, and nearly always get it right...sorry about this blooper...as Tim says, normal service resumes this coming Sunday...do come again
  • Well said Skelders.....very good points brought to the "clubs" attention
  • Yes, but no but.
    4 of us split off at Whitwell & I had 72 miles on the clock when I got back to Gamlingay with an aveage of 17.2mph.

The guys that turned right at Whitwell can not have had more than 40 miles on the clock & the average speed would have been way below 17mph. So the ride for the majority fell into the 'club run rules'.

Perhaps we need to increase the font size for the INTRO rides alot more so tha it's really clear when these happen.

Trahern
  • Trahern...we all agreed that there would always be a club ride.....that is the base line.....I doubt that any of our riders used to longer distances and speeds would suffer seriously if they missed their longer distance for one week....besides, it's nice occasionally to simply slow down and just chat..almost relaxing.
  • I just want to comment as one of the newbie's last Sunday (hiding approx 2/3's down the pack), just to say I had a good time. Plenty of riders (forgive me - I'm useless with names) opened conversation and I'll definitely be back.
  • I'm thanking my luck stars that I did the club ride on Saturday instead. It was fantastic this week

Next weekend, I can only do Sunday, so my fingers are crossed for a dry day, a good turnout and for normal CCA team spirit to be resumed.

Tim, you're a rock. (And that's a compliment, by the way)
  • I had a good chat with Doug when I was riding with him while we were off the back. He's hoping to do a sportive next year and is going to do some training for it during the winter, so he does have the motivation to come back for another go at our club run! I think it would only take a couple of weeks for Doug to settle in well with the club run tempo.

To be honest, the club run wasn't particularly faster (or any less disciplined) than any I've been on so far. In this particular instance, I think it might've been better just to split off 3 or 4 riders to ride and chat with Doug and let the rest carry on.

Shaun