Welcome to the forum

Hillingdon 2011/12

edited December 2011 in Road Racing
RACE 1.....Today saw the commencement of the 2011/12 Hillingdon Winter Series and what a day. With the fine weather came a blistering pace; the speedo seemed to often hover between 28mph and 30mph on a couple of sections and the pain in the legs reflected the speed - not sure as to the final average..HIGH! The race remained brisk throughout and for the first 30mins it seemed to be the same half dozen riders or so (of which I was one) doing most of the work, and it very nearly paid off as we momentarily broke away. Unfortunately, no matter how hard we tried to maintain the pace and pressure it just wasn't quite enough. We were then thwarted by a second small break-away as we returned to the main group shattered (well I was). Whilst recovering within the main group it also became alarming apparent that a lot of riders were a little rusty in the discipline of group riding, as there were an unusually high number of near misses. The small break-away groupetto managed to hang on until the end as the organisation within the main group all but disintegrated as no-one seemed prepared to take the helm. Then in the final 200 metres as I stood in unison with a few other front riders to contest the sprint disaster struck - my chain snapped. With no chain and the front mech trashed my day was over. Still, overall an excellent workout and already looking forward to next week to have another go.

Comments

• Unlucky phill,
    still at least you got most of the race
  • Getting into it excellent.. looking forward to the next report with no Mechs !
    ...Hope to see and support soon..
  • Unlucky. But you're in there big time!
  • Sounds good Phil coming off the back of all your endurance training. Do you need anything other than a big ring nowadays?
  • great ride Phil.....better luck next one
  • As an X self confessed "wheel-sucker"; oh how times have changed - check out this link (hope works).

http://markghopkins.co.uk/p331751488/h135cedf1#h14b0f4cb

And cheers for the support guys.
  • nice pic and well done! hard luck on the chain :(

BTW - where's the new shirt!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    RACE 2....And what a race, and yes the chain held together this time.

I achieved my best ever 3rd cat result with a 4th position amongst a full field of 50 riders. The race was not as pacey and last weekends with the average ranging between 24.9 and 25.1 depending on which rider you spoke to, either way, definitely slower than last week. The race was fairly smooth throughout, however, after about 10mins I (rather foolishly) decided to make a break for it - it lasted about a lap and a half. A number of other guys attempted to break away, but they too were all in vein. Then when the 5 laps to go board came out the attempts to break away came thick and fast, and I completely lost track of who was where. As we commenced the final lap I was determined to at least put myself into a position to contest the final sprint. Those that have raced will know that this is not always an easy thing to do and today was no exception. On the final bend the pace ramped up and with about 200m to go I had to pass a blocking rider on the grass to ensure an opportunity to participate in the sprint. Next thing I knew I was in a great position to contest the victory - or so I thought. It later transpired that three riders had successfully broken away (apparently they'd attended the Jez and Dave school of racing!), and we were in fact contesting 4th place. Still, a real boost for the confidence and 6 points on the board. Can't wait for next weeks contest. Check out the link below to see how close the sprint finish was.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swarbrick/6487779637/in/photostream/
  • Congratulations Phil. It is great to see you at your racing circuit and even better to learn you are having a ball and eyeing up the podium. Inspiring stuff.

Daniel
  • Quality stuff Phil! Based on that photo and write up a win is just round the corner!

Keep it up!

Dave.
  • MC, There's still along long way to go, I think I need at least another 32pts! Cheers.....
  • Race 3....This race had a little of everything. The race started pacey enough and for the first 20mins or so everyone seemed to be waiting for someone else to do something. As far as I could tell there were numerous breakaway attempts from about 20mins onwards. They were all brought back including a three man breakaway of my own. At around the 30mins mark myself and a couple of other guys made a break for victory. The thing is, having never really been a part of a "real" break before, I didn't realise we'd done it. When I did eventually look back the gap was significant and I must confess to becoming ever-so-slightly excited. However, the effort required to stay away was both brutal and exhausting. I think I managed a maybe 3 laps, the other two riders continued on for a little longer. I should mention the power and strength of the other two riders was humbling, consequently they did considerably more of the work than I did - no change there! Arriving back in the in group I was shattered. Then whilst trying to recover, and thinking I had plenty of time to do so, they foreshortened the race (probably due to a number of race "incidents"); all of sudden we're on the final lap and gunning for the line. The final sprint didn't open well for me, but I managed a very satisfying 8th place and a couple more points in the bag. The photo below I think shows the beginning of the 3 man break as I recognise the guy coming up to my wheel. Next race Xmas eve.......Cheers.

http://aephotos.co.uk/hill-imperial-30oct2011/h2f67479f#h2f67479f
  • nice one phill! i've allways wanted to be in a proper breakaway, 8th place is great espeacialy as the break didn't workout.
  • Top racing fella!
  • you are an inspiration to us all mate!! love the pic!!
  • Well done phill! Good effort!
  • agree.great pic Phil.....you'll be winning soon on this showing
  • Race 4....Pacey and frenetic best describes this weeks round. There was a constant stream of individuals breaking of the front, this rendered the race uncontrollable and very tiring. For me the constant effort required to stay near the front to took its toll. With one lap to go a string of riders went by me to my right as we approached the penultimate bend, unfortunately, I was pinned in behind another rider as they passed with no where to go until exiting the final bend. As the climb to the finish commenced it opened up nicely, however, I'd left myself with way too much to do and managed to cross the line in 19th place - so no points this time.......roll on next Saturday.

PS Hi Kit, Sorry, no new shirt required until they are all blue once more.
  • Next time Phil... yr riding strong.
  • Race 6....Race 5 was held on Boxing day and I decided, no Jo decided, it might be a good idea to take a rest - it was Christmas after all! So onto race 6. This was much the same as the other races in terms of the first 30mins or so, and according to one race blog we didn't dip much under 27mph - of course I'm inclined to agree with that statistic. Another rider's blog claims that our lap speeds, according to his Garmin, are up on last years by just a few seconds; I recall the fastest being 2mins 9secs. Again, my legs, lungs, and general lack of well being during the race give me no reason to doubt this - enough of the stats. As the race entered the last third there was the most dreadful of pile ups that must have taken out 10+ riders. It was the classic domino effect, only with no-one knowing where or how it started. I wound up on the grass, but remained up right throughout. Many others were not so fortunate. This split the race big time leaving me in a kind of no mans land and totally unable to catch the small group ahead of me (I didn't know at the time but there was another group ahead of them as well). Suffice to say I completed the last 6 or 7 laps alone and crossed the line in a disappointing (but unscathed) 29th. Roll on race 7.......