Welcome to the forum

Road Race results

edited June 2009 in Road Racing
Sunday 7th June - Venue; the Rivers around Sawtry

Peterborough RR's took place as an E/1/2 & 3/4. 6 time round the course for the 3/4s. I left the house in the dry, but it started to rain a little when getting the bike out of the car & set up. By the time the race started, myself & Carmelo in it for CCA it was raining considerably harder. The course has a nasty climb out of Glatton and another on the way towards Sawtry. By half way round the lap I was soaked & cold. I went with Carmelo on a break to chase down 2 other riders on lap 2, we got a small gap, but nothing to last. Carmelo stopped at the end of this lap, too cold to continue, but I stupidly carried on. I tried more futile breaks, and due to this during a minute or two of recovery I missed the break. Eight guys got away & I failed to respond immediately. When I did work up some steam to chase I could only get one other guy to help me & so the break slowly got away. Other breaks chanced their arm but were always chased down, and I even had a go with some other guys a couple of times. The St Ives boys smothered most attempts for the group to speed up as they had a rider in the breakaway.
With the lead group some 40-50seconds up the road the pack was going to be sprinting for 9th & 10th. With this in mide I had a go from about 1Km out and jumped the field hoping my legs would last.........they didn't. I got swamped with about 200m to go.

Probably the most disgusting weather I've ever raced in. Cold & wet I went with my family & friend who had watched & cheered me on to a fine pub in Elton, had a slap up Sunday lunch and pint of Adnams, with Apple & Rhubarb crumble with custard for pud. I'd just about warmed up by the time I left the pub.

Next week 100km around Bourn, 1198, Wimpole, Eversdens, Kingston, for the Cambridge CC 2/3/4 race. Anybody passing give me a shout.

Cheers

Trahern

Comments

• Thursday 11th June - MK bowl.
    Three CCA riders this week, Keith back in action. The full hour going out of the bottom gate & around the car park. Pace fast from the start. I started near the front and slowlt dropped through the pack I met Carmelo slowly working his way up the pack. Keith got blown out the back after 7 minutes. I got blown out the back after 22 minutes. Both Keith & myself kept going for training. I got lapped at about 44 minutes and managed to hang on to the group until the 4 lap to go mark. Carmelo thinks he may have finished top 10. A very hard night with lots of riders stopping, but still very disappointed not to have finished with the bunch - thought I might have been in with a chance as the field wasn't quite as big this week. Oh well, off to beat myself with a stick - it's less painful

Trahern
  • Sunday 28th June - Met Police RR Nr Chigwell. 60miles

8:45 roll out with a 5 mile down hill route to the race start. Carmelo & Myself representing CCA (Keith was down to ride, but didn't so we presume he still has knee trouble?). Lap one break of 5 riders that stayed away for some time. Carmelo & Myself tried to rally the bunch to chase by going on a few mini breaks that raised the pace of the bunch. Lap 2 I went with a group of 5 up the hill to try & get away from the pack, but were caught on the fast section after the hill. Carmelo strenched things out on the drag up after the finish line section. Again I joined a bunch of 4 guys at the fron to keep the bunch pace high, and we caught the 5 riders who had been in front. Lap 3, up the hill, 2 Cambs CC riders went & again I jumped to join them, but again after a couple of miles this was brought back. Carmelo went on a big break at the same part of the course & I happliy sat on the front @ 20mph with noone coming past in an attempt to hold things up. After 2~3 miles I got swamped & the pace was up to 30mph again chasing Carmelo's group of 3.
    I held on up the hill again, and we cught Carmelo's group just after this. So 1 lap to go and no other breaks really happened. Again the bunch stretched out up the hill, but came together again on the fast section. The last 3Km were up a drag after a junction. I managed about 1km with the bunch and then blew a gasket big time, so crawled in the last 2Km (finished 47th!!!). 3 guys got away to get a few seconds lead, the bunch followed, Carmello came in 12th/13th?
    A long 5 miles back to the HQ (up hill - nice) @ 14mph. A bit different to the 42mph top speed registered during the race.
    Although I exploded I was happy with the work I put in chasing & going for breaks (considering I had done 2 hours of track training at Welwyn the day before). There were a lot of guys who were invisible for 55miles, and then sprinted it out for 40th!!!

Onto the 2/3/4 race this Sunday & another early start!!1 Hoooray

Trahern
  • Hello Boys, down to start but have not been on the bike for 2 weeks, off for approx 6-8 weeks big trouble with tendonitis in both knees, if any one knows the cure apart from physio, stretching and by the looks of things a long rest i would appreciate the info. see you all about October/ Noivember. Why do we only have two racers, where are all the boys who had a go in the Ashwell race. Trahern, Carmello keep it going lads. Thanks for the push in the last vets race Carmello every little bit helps. see you soon.
    Yours on the bike( or in this case off it)

The arlesey walker
  • Not good Keith, hope to see you sooner!

still working on my fitness !! maybe next year? however, enjoying the TT's at the moment... especially last night!! 8-)))
  • Hello mate, you are flying along now, a good winter and you will be out racing next year with Trahern and the Italian stallion. Nice to see you doing the TT's, that's what got me into the racing, and you are faster than i was round that course and I still managed to hang with the bunch in a race, you got to try another one before the end of the summer. Go to hog hill or the bowl one Thursday evening. When i'm back I will be looking to keep your wheel, that's after a couple of months with the not so nasty boys. In the meantime I am doing a spot of fishing to take my mind off the knees. Tight lines they keep telling me. In your case firm TYRES.. LOL
  • Cheers mate, I will try :)
  • Sunday 5th July - Paul Simon RR (Finchley club) Cat 2/3/4
    CCA attendees were Trahern & Richard Law
    New circuit for this 68mile race. Welwyn G.C through the houses, round roundabouts etc and out onto the A414. Up thieves lane & back along B1000. 9.6 miles; 7 laps. Flat course apart from the short hill up Thieves lane & a small hill into Welwyn to the finish line. Certainly entertaining with the roundabouts & the potential of pedestrian crossings going red. half the race went the wrong way at the A414 junction, the result being the race being stopped on the dual carriage way to regroup. A few mini breaks occured & were chassed down. Richard & myself had a go along the B1000 on lap 3 when the pace slowed too much but our group of 6/7 riders were caught quickly.
    In the end a couple of riders jumped off the front in the last half lap and stayed away. The rest sprinting out in a fairly dangerous sprint (due to the roads topology & traffic in the run in) We finished mid-pack (Richard 3 places ahead of me probably 20ish). The hill was not really long enough to give the advantage to us lighter guys.
    Lots of riders were DQ due to line crossing & over taking in hatched areas. Can't say it was one of my favourites this year, but felt better for finishing with a reasonable flurry in a 2/3 race after 68 miles. Average speed 25mph

Two weeks off now, thinking of Richard driving to Norwich next Sunday for an 8:30 start

Cheers

Trahern
  • Sunday 9th August - Neil Gardner Mem race (Luton CC) held on the Cardington circuit (same as CCA Primavera)
    Cat 2/3/4 102KM 5 & 1/2 laps.

You may have noticed a lack of race postings on the forum. This has been due to holidays, and I haven't been over to the Bowl for some weeks since Carmelo crashed. I also didn't report on an awful race I did over at Naseby 3 days after returning from holiday where I got my back side kicked on an alternative circuit to the one that should have been used.
    Anyway, back to Sunday & still with limited training I gave it a go. Richard Law was down to race but didn't sign on ( he was down to race at Naseby, but didn't - If you read this Richard are you OK?)
    THe pace was very fast from the word go with the string of riders going through Ickwell at about 38mph, everyone scrabbling for a wheel. The odd one/two man break occured, but were soon pulled back. Having got myself near the front of the pack just before the finish line hill at the end of the 4th lap, I thought I would be safe up the hill, my legs decided otherwise, and they promptly 'let go' about 80% of the way up the hill and the elastic broke. I kept on going around to do 5 laps (stopping at the Cople HQ) and then packed up.
    The race was won by BRCC Majick Weremko who broke away from the field with about 3K to go. I still have someway to go to get my 'top end' back, and was probably suffering a little form doing the Saturday track sessions down at Welwyn the morning before.

Oh well looks like about another 3/4 races left to punish myself with this year -- it's fun, you really all should try it!!!!

Cheers

Trahern
  • Sunday 13th September - Victoria RR held on the Clavering/Quendon circuit (same as the Eagle RR).
    96Km 5 & 3/4 laps.

A fairly breezy day with a stiffish head wind up the finishin drag & alog the windy road to Quendon as well as up the main road to Newport.The pace picked up after the first 3/4 of a lap, and 5 riders got away on the fast section to Quendon & chased a lone rider who had gone free as soonas the netralised flag had been pulled in. The group of 6 stayed away from the pack as the time gap yo-yoed between 30 seconds & 1 minute. Most laps the time closed during the 'into wind sections' and then when the leaders were in sight the pace fell away slightly in the chase. With 2 laps to go the leaders were caught & despite a few brave efforts from individuals the bunch stayed together until the final 2 miles. As soon as the left turn out of Clavering was negotiated the speed picked up alot and riders started dropping off. One has to be at the final left turn in the top 15 to stand a chance at the finish, but on coming cars stopped much manouvering before the turn so postions some 2 miles from the finish was key (and I was too far back).

Left turn and down the narrow road, over the little bridge and give everything up the first hill. At this point it all streched out a lot and people at the back started to back off, realising that they were not going to get anything. I tried to keep pushing reasonably hard up the second hill to the finsih line - out of pride really, but my legs had little in them by now.

Ralph Keeler from CCC came in 2nd (for those that know him from MK & LVRC events), I was 37th some 20 seconds behind the lead finishers.
    Average speed 24.3mph. Glad to get round after not racing for a while. NO CRASHES!!!!! bit of a turn up.

Most things ache this morning - Down to Welwyn this evening for some more punishment with Track Training

PS - Ralph (CCC), Alan Moules & Tom (ST Ives) all asked after your health Carmelo, and wished you well for recovery soon.

Cheers

Trahern
  • Sunday 27th Septrmber - Last Chance points grabber - Whitwell (AKA last Gasp points misser) Cat 2-3
    7 & 1/3 laps of the 9.5 mile course going from Whitwell -> Codicote -> towards Hitchin, left up the hill to St Pauls Warden & down back to Whitwell.

Pace was fast from the off with lots of 1 & 2 man breaks lasting for 1/4 to 1/2 a lap at a time. I tried to get into a 8-10 man break at the top of the long hill on the first & second time up the hill, but both times we were caught on the fast section down to Whitwell. 2 or 3 riders got clear on the climb on the 3rd lap, but were brought back over the next 2 laps to. By the 5th time up the hill the main group had been reduced to about 35 riders with people being pinged out the back on the 22mph climb each lap.
    My legs faded up the top of the hill & a gap opened up, however working hard down the hill I managed to get reattached at the Whitwell turn & got myself into the front of the bunch for saftey for another lap. 6th time up the hill my legs faded again with about 50yds to go to the top & I couldn't close the gap this time down the hill, so that was basically the end of my race. I feel I gave a good account of myself considering I hadn't been feeling too good over the last 2 weeks & a lot of guys packed up before I did. Last race of a fairly dissapointing season, so looking forward to a bit of a break, a Sunday morning lay in or 2 and joining the club guys for some rides.

It all looks like you are having such fun & getting along just great !!!!!

Cheers Trahern