Welcome to the forum

8am 17 March

edited March 2012 in Club runs
Thinking I need some big hill training in the legs.
Considering doing reps of the Therfield/Sandon M hills.
Not pleasant I know.

Alternative?

Comments

• Might depend who's up for it and maybe it's a bit late to organise and coordinate, but I sometimes take a car to either Woburn or Ashridge/Berkhamsted and hit the Chilterns...

Reps of Therfield/Sandon M hills sounds ugly nasty, TBH. Although I would probably be there. :)
  • You guys want ugly & nasty feel free to join me on the turbo for another 100km! lol.
  • Good luck on that TT MC!
  • Maybe a thro and off round Grafham?
  • Not sure where the hills are on that course, although it would probably be a harder ride for me... ;)
  • Robbie,
    I think the bridge at Great Barford is still closed. I've never found a suitable diversion
  • There's still that longer route via Stewartby, Turvey etc. that we did the other week.

Also an out and back(ish) via Waresley with a loop around Huntingdon.
  • edited March 2012
    Ok. Thanks for the tip about the bridge.

Sounds like that Turvey rides a winner.
    I've got 5 hours, back 1pm ish.

Ashwell at 8am?

Was out today thought I was flying until I hit the headwind.
    It's deceiving... trees aren't moving. Grass isn't moving. And I was hardly moving!
    Fixed ride done. Gears tmw...
  • If its hills your after, and you have 5hrs, Berko via Whipsnade, Ringshall, Aldbury and Wiggington is terrific - it's a small part of the ol' Chiltern 100 route. Either way have great ride guys - very jealous!
  • I can certainly do something out that way and know the route, but it's 75m minimum (Baldock to Baldock) to play in the lumpy stuff Phil mentions. My usual route goes out and back via Markgate. Could do 8am Baldock for extra time...

??
  • Ok. Sounds great.
    See you Baldock xroads at 8.30ish.

And good luck on the turbo Phil.

Anyone else... I'll be setting off from Ashwell pub at 8am and going the bygrave route to Baldock.
    That should swing us in at the xroads at 8.30am.

Cool
  • Hi, the Great Barford bridge is open again now, have a good ride!
  • OK, a brief dip into the Chilterns it is. Bring yer climbing legs. See you at 8.30am.
  • will do my own thing tomorrow as we are going out around 10am. won't make sunday either i guess but will get some miles in somehow - turbo no doubt. clocks change end of next week. hope to have more motivation by then.
  • Thanks PhilA for suggesting that route through the Chilterns. Robbie and I had a blast, although it rained for the whole 80 miles and it was bloody cold by the end!

Rolling from the start over to Breachwood and then Markgate including hauling bikes over fenced off roadworks. Steady climbing up to Studham before dropping steeply down to Dagnall. Then over Ivinghoe Beacon the proper way (unfortunately no views) and onto Ashridge. Scary drop down to Aldbury on a shiny, hairpinned road. I had planned Aston Clinton but Robbie said he didn't have enough time (allegedly), so we climbed back up at Wigginton and passed Champneys to drop down again into Berkhamsted. I deliberately put in the "across the grain" roller-coasters around Gaddesden Row for extra fun! Back through Markgate, Kimpton and Whitwell with the rain very heavy. I picked up a couple of big flints for two punctures late on and had an excellent test of changing tubes wth numb fingers.

Sat in the bath for quite a while after it was all over. All good fun.
  • edited March 2012
    TURBO BLOG - Interestingly I had opposite climatic challenges; after about 30mins or so it all became way too hot in the garage and the only precipitation was my sweat. Hopefully much better weather for you guys next week. The drop into Aldbury is pretty hairy, however, it's an excellent climb back up! So; to today's turbo session. It was just over 100km again punctuated with some monotony busting intervals - same again tomorrow. The hand continues to heel well, stitches out next Tuesday and wires removed on the 3rd April - not too sure what happens next. Cheers..........
  • My feet went blue... then purple.... then ached like f in the bath.
    Half a pint of water came out of each boot!
    Lucky you Phil in the garage!
    A real gritty ride. Earnt the supper!
    This kind of ride is what it's all about.
    As ya both know!