Welcome to the forum

Grafham Water Sat 28th

edited July 2012 in Club runs
Anybody fancy a club ride to Grafham Water on Saturday? Forecast is a tad cooler and staying dry

More to the point, does anyone know the best route, including a cafe stop? It's 18 miles as the crow flies, so I'm guessing it'd be a 50 mile round trip?

Comments

• Here is a standard version of the route.

It can't be done under 60 I don't think. This is 62. You can clip a bit off by heading for Great Staughton when near Grafham.

The ideal cafe stop has to be the one at Grafham Water itself, in Perry.

Have fun!
  • As Martin says, it's about a 60 mile ride. I should be there on Saturday and as I go to Grafham a lot, I know the way! And there are two cafes to choose from!

Shaun
  • FANtastic

We have a route map and 2 riders, including a cafe-friendly navigator. Who else is coming out to play? ... Martin?
  • Am tempted.. But there is a ride from cardington in the morning followed by a screening of the road race..

Hmmmmmm, decisions decisions..
  • Sounds like a plan to me - I'm in and three's a crowd!
  • Sounds like a great idea - count me in!

DavidJ
  • What time are you setting off?

Not sure if I'll be able to make an early start, but could join you on route if you stick to the standard route, as it goes near my home.

Vic
  • Shaun, Lloydy, Andrew, David - are you ok to meet at The Tuns for 9:00 start?

And Shaun, are you happy with the Bikemap route (posted above by Martin) at least for the 1st 11miles, so Vic can join en route? (Or if you have a preferred route already mapped, pls could you send me a link or email it to jane.wilsonBVSc@tiscali.co.uk and I'll download to Garmin)

Thx J
  • Sounds a great idea, 09:00 is fine with me.

Rich
  • I'd love to come along, but am a bit worried that with your small elite group, you may be a bit quick for me. The mileage will be towards my upper limit, so are you planning any heroics, or will it be club run pace?
    Many thanks,
    Pete.
  • Would like to have joined you for this but harvest has finally arrived!!!
    Have a good ride.
    Tom
  • 9.00am start then.

Jane, we can follow the route out that Martin posted above.

Vic, I'll assume you'll meet us in Potton for 9.30am? (Hatley Rd junction is at mile 9).

Peter, it'll be at a pace suitable for whoever is out.
  • If I can make it, I was planning on cycling in reverse of you until I spot you, now I'm not sure which way around you are going?

Are you heading through Everton 1st (clockwise route) or through the Grandsden's (anticlockwise)?
  • 9 is good for me
  • Route above is clockwise. Everton on the way out.
  • edited July 2012
    Love it when a plan comes together :)
  • Looks like I have a green light to get to Ashwell for 9 now, probably cycle over and drop off the ride on the way back and not miss too much of the Olympic Road Race.

See you at the 3Ts
  • Sorry, I am definitely not able to make it.

Taking an intro mtb ride in the morning now.

Enjoy!!
  • I'm in.

Dave - Grafham Water, we might see some ducks :o)
  • Sounds great - I'll tag along too then.
    Pete.
  • Steady Tim, step away from those ducks......

DavidJ
  • I have been given special permission to join you - see you at 9
  • I'll see you at the Tunns for 9 am

Vicky
  • Great stuff. Looks like a tidy peleton of 11, headed for the ducks with sunshine all the way
  • Would have loved to join you but am busy tomorrow. Have a good ride and see you next week.
  • edited July 2012
    A good initiative Jane, I hope you all enjoy it as much as we did last year. Unfortunately, a family commitment means that I will not be on. 11 already eh, have a good one...
  • Good, that !
  • Good turnout, perfect weather and a lovely undulating route, for which we have Shaun to thank

Some serious refuelling went on at the cafe, plus a bit of duck-spotting, before setting off for Buckden and a bike-handling test of an underpass, which I regret to say, I failed!

1 puncture (I think) and 1 bent rear derailleur, which happened miraculously close to the bike shop at Grafham Water, so we were roadworthy again very quickly. I logged 66 miles at 16.9mph

Thanks everyone for another great ride
  • Was a good day out!
  • Great route and great company! Thanks to Jane and Shaun for their excellent navigation and cafe choice. Only disappointment was the lack of ducks at Grafham water - although TimO claims to have seen some............

Is it just me or does anybody else have sunburnt arms and knees from the three tuns patio tanning salon :)

DavidJ

P.s. Tom D says thanks fr the route too