Welcome to the forum

Tour of the Cornfields Ride

edited August 2012 in Club runs
Hi all,

Some club members are keen to ride the Tour of the Cornfields route this year as the ride is not officially taking place. We have decided to do this on the bank holiday Sunday 26th August.

Start from The Tuns at 9am. Cyclo-Cross or MTBs. The ride will be roughly 50 miles and take roughly 5 hours. Guests will be welcome.

Mark.

Comments

• Loving this! I'll be there are raring to go. By all accounts this is a great ride.

Daniel
  • Would be keen but this clashes with Mildenhall :-(
  • Sounds like a great ride. I'd love to do it but not sure I could make 50 miles off road. What's the route? Are there opportunities to bail out if needed?
  • Really looking forward to this one
  • Ade,

Sorry, should have spotted your question earlier. The route is clockwise from Ashwell, taking in the Hatley Estate and back from the Wimpole Estate. Probably never more than 15 miles from Ashwell. The half way ish point at Hatley Village Hall is a good place to dive off down Croydon Hill. It's about 50/50 road/off-road.

Mark.
  • I can do 8:30am as long as Daniel, Bryn etc are ok with that.

Mark.
  • 08:30 is fine by me and Theo. I will ask Bryn tomorrow.

Anyone else?

Daniel
  • 8.30 okay for me
  • Ok all, the plan is

Meet at the 3 Tuns at 8:30am. Christine will take spare bottles, snacks etc.

Steady first couple of hours up to Hatley Village Hall and meet Christine there. Anyone struggling or wanting a shorter ride can head back to Ashwell from there. A bit faster from then on until Bassingbourn. Every man or woman for himself/herself back from Bassingbourn along the By-way.

Bring plenty of spare tubes or maybe leach type patches.

Mark.
  • not going to get there today - have a good ride
  • great ride, thanks guys
  • brilliant ride apart from my ditch encounter
  • yes agree excellent ride, thanks for organising and the route Mark, and Christine for the lunch stop.
  • Phil, we missed you, sorry you couldn’t come! Great ride, thanks Mark for guiding us and thanks to Christine for facilitating a feed stop (and first aid station). 11 out: Stef, Andrew, MC and his brother on mountain bikes, Jon, Cam, Bryn, Theo, Mark, Stevie and myself on cyclocross bikes.

At one point we did lose Jon. Thinking it would be poor form to show up at the feed stop, managed by his mum, without him a search party was formed. Heroically I stood on the lane in case Jon showed up. I observed that on the other side of the field that the quarry had been rounded up the party was returning. Until all of a sudden one them disappeared. Theo had fallen down what turned out to be quite a deep ditch. I am delighted to say he is okay and the wounds dressed by Christine’s first aid kit are looking healthy.

The final leg was from Bassingbourn to Ashwell on the Icknield Way, or Ashwell Street. I had no idea this bridleway was even there! Rather a good right of way.

Great weather eased the frustration persistent punctures.

The Thretford Enduro is next week, and after that the Cyclocross season starts in earnest, see EASTERN CROSS

Daniel