Welcome to the forum

CCA Cyclo-Cross Race Sat 29 Sept, Knights Templar - help required

edited August 2012 in General
Hi all,

This years club Cyclo-Cross promotion will be on Saturday 29th September. As usual it will be part of the Eastern League and run at Knights Templar Sports Centre, Baldock.

Please sign up to help on the day. I will need course builders, marshals, signing on staff, a catering team and a First Aider.

Thanks,
Mark.

Comments

• Hi Mark, I'm willing to help like last year.
  • Hi Mark

I should be able to help in morning

Stuart
  • Mark,

Dad and I are definitely happy to help pack up, if you've not got enough people for before the race let us know.
  • Mark,
    Count me in as per last year..happy to do anything as instructed

Fiona is happy to help again with Tea,Coffee, cakes etc..as per last year as we now have a reputation to uphold !
  • count me in - course building, course racing, course dismantle!
  • Hi all,

Just a reminder that if you want to ride you need to take Phil's approach and muck in with helping out as well. A large number of club members now take part in cyclo-cross races so if we all rode this one without doing anything else it wouldn't get put on. There are loads of other events in the calendar.

It would be a shame to ban club members from riding our own event but if we don't have enough helpers there won't be an event anyway. Having always been the organiser I have never had the opportunity to ride the courses I have designed.

Thanks,
    Mark.
  • edited September 2012
    Happy to help. Just let me know.
  • hi Mark I would love to help, see what it's all about
  • Thanks Ade and Nathaniel. Will put you both down. Can you Whisper me your email addresses for instructions nearer the time.
  • fl-at-nnol.co.uk
  • Thanks Mark and Michelle.

I will work out times soon and distribute.
    Mark.
  • V.sorry Mark but can't do first aid this year as am in Durham...hope it all goes well as in previous years and that everyone has a good race
  • Hi Mark, I am able to help as well.
    jez
  • edited September 2012
    Hi all,

Here are the details for the Cyclo-Cross race at Knights Templar on Saturday 29th September. Please let me know as soon as possible if you have to drop out from helping. At the moment we should have enough people to cover all jobs ok and allow some club members to race. Anyone from the club who doesn’t ride but helps on the day can claim average points from the league. Please let me know if you can’t come at the suggested time, at the moment I have plenty of people for course building.

8am Course Setup. Please meet me on the field at the trailer at 8am. We need to get the course up by 10:00am ideally. The team leaders will supervise setting up the course, but it needs to be 3m wide as much as possible. Avoid using stakes and tape on the inside where a hedge or fence creates a natural barrier. Just loop tape around posts rather than tying it to every single post. Use trees instead of stakes where possible. Always check that a rider can’t take a short cut and make sure that any obstacle (especially the hurdles) cannot be gone round. Please note that I have had to make a few changes from last year’s course. When setting up we should have radio contact so you can check things with me. Please can you bring a pair of old gloves as well for rubbish collection.

Mark C – are you going to be well enough to help on the day?

Setting Up Team Leaders

Theo Doncaster
    Phil K
    Vincent

Course builders

Jon C
    Cameron
    Pete Green
    Stewart W
    Mark C
    Alistair S
    Stef Dixon
    Steve K
    James D
    Duncan
    Ade H
    Nathaniel
    Alec R
    Nigel
    Ed
    Jez
    Tim S
    Stuart F

9am HQ Team (we might be able to get you in at 8:45am)

Signing on

Stevie and Christine

Catering
    Michelle and Fiona

10:30am Race Management Team

Stewart W – are you ok to be Chief Marshal?

All marshals please report to Stewart Woolsey at the trailer for deployment

Marshals, Steve D, Steve L plus course builders. For the first 2 races those riding in the afternoon and for the afternoons races those riding in the morning.

First Aid – Tim Duckett

Judging Team – Max, Sandra, Nathaniel and Stef - PDA operators (probably best to report to signing on at 9:30am), Steve K (number board/bell)
    Number caller Mark C or Stef if Mark can’t do it.

11am First Race starts

3pm – Course take down (please bring the stakes back to the trailer, tape can be dumped).

We do need an announcer – does anyone fancy doing this plus perhaps even a bit of commentary? I’m going to site the podium near the finish line this year and do presentations straight after each race.

Best wishes,

Mark.
  • Hi all,

Is anyone able to make some cakes for the refreshment team to sell? I understand Daniel has a reputation in cake making to maintain. Can anyone do even better?

Thanks,
    Mark.
  • Hello Mark,

I can make cakes - we'll pop along in the morning with them if thats OK, Archie is keen to see what the course will look like, but I can't stay too long as it's my Birthday and I have a night out with the ladies planned!!

See you Wednesday

Sallie
  • Hi, got this from the eastern cross site and thought it might be useful for people:
    Programme:

League members Non-league
    11:00 Vet 45+/Vet 50+/Women £11.00 £14.00
    12:00 Under 12 £1.00 £1.00
    12:45 Youth £5.00 £7.00
    13:45 Senior/Elite Vet/Vet 40-44 £11.00 £14.00
    13:45 Junior £8.00 £10.00

Sign on closes at least 30 minutes before each race (longer if it's a long way from the HQ to the start). Please sign on in good time.
  • have a great race day everybody....sorry to be missing this one as it is always fun to watch and take part...so I gather :-)
  • Hi all,

A big thank you to everyone who helped out and made the race possible today. The course was set up in no time and dismantled even more quickly. The Commissaires and riders all seemed happy. We can now go and ride other events secure in the knowledge we have done our bit to keep the league running.

Sorry to anyone I was short with, ignored, didn't recognise or just generally mistreated. It's a stressful job organising and I find myself trying to juggle about 6 things at once.

Full results were up on the website before I made it home! www.easterncross.org.uk.

Well done CCA, great job.
    Mark.
  • Well done Mark, unbelievably tight organisation and a great days racing. Brilliant that the results are on the website immediately and love that lap o meter thingy.
  • Great event, well done Mark and all who helped and raced. Really well organised, and attended, and some great racing too.
  • elite/junior report:
    on the start was Bryn, Cam, Ed, Vince and I. The course was so good that it managed to attract some big names like Hugo Robinson (2x national champ) and Jack Clarkson (rides for Hope). Mark had changed the course slightly to reduce crashes, so there was a little switch back. I didn't have a great start, meaning I had to get round some people. Going down to the hurdle the course threw us over the tree roots and down into a narrow section, on the turn I felt my back wheel fall to the left as a rider behind let out a might "oof" and hit the ground. I reached the hurdles in one piece were the races started to begin. because it was such a windy course You had to get to the best group possible. Cam and I both moved forward to find a strong Ipswich rider who enjoyed doing all the work. Over the next laps I could hear Vince cheer me on, I heard after the race he had a crash? The Ipswich rider helped us pass riders in front only requiring me to do some of the work. we now had a sizable group of about 5 but still It was just me and the Ipswich guy doing all the work I knew someone was going to attack. Sure enough Cam led the way and began to rip apart the group. I had to struggle to keep on his wheel. It was a good attack and he had broken as from the rest, but a rider named jack was in pursuit. I clocked in a turn on the front but I knew jack would catch us. He did so near the hurdles, into which Cam led. Unfortunately I saw him fall to the ground contained between the two hurdles like a coffin. I slowed jack down as much as I could and Cam got back with in 50 meters. It was just the three of us now. the next lap was jack attack, he put in an huge amount of power to try and get away, I stayed on him but Cam was behind us. On the straight jack put in a massive sprint but I had the acceleration to keep him. this went on but his efforts were relentless. It turned into a sort of match sprint and this allowed Cam to get back in. I was conscious about his power so I tried to get space on him without much effort, en route to the run up we could see a slow rider ahead I passed him at the very last minute so he blocked jack on the slope I got some considerable space on him but I didn't have the strength to use it. The idea was to wear him out but this din't seem to work. ON the last lap I was still on the front as I was most the race. I wanted to keep him at bay and not let him pass on the final section. I knew he would attack, I could read him like a poorly worded Katie price biography, he attacked into the tree section before the run up. I was right on his wheel, I passed him just before the run up and almost came to holt in front to block him I could run faster than him and I got some space on the run up. By the next camber He had almost caught me. I needed to stay ahead so I cut him up on the corner before the last hill I sprinted down it and round the final corner. it worked and i finished in front with some space:13th.
    Cam came in just behind jack. Bryn finished on his own which is a hard way to take the wind. Ed stayed in for most of his first cross race but pulled out at some point.
    There are too many names to name but it was great seeing everyone supporting, racing, cake selling, marshaling setting up and being there.
  • Well done everybody - it was a great race and nice to see the course in the light for a change. Great support on the course and a big thankyou to Jon who gave me some great advice on getting up the cambered bank which worked really well and for cheering us on at the hurdles. Thanks to Christine and Stevie stuck in the HQ for most of the time as well.