Welcome to the forum

Group Riding Basic Training: Sat 22nd Sept, 9.30am

edited August 2012 in General
What with the end of the racing season fast approaching and a lot of new members joining there will be a lot more riders out on club runs over the next few months.
We could probably therefore do with some training in the art of group riding.

So, im aiming to run a coaching session aimed at adults (new juniors would be welcome, but not youth who do this anyway) and particularly new riders or any one who feels uncomfortable in a group.

The sort of things i plan to cover are basic group etiquette, positioning, hand signals, general safety and specific skills such as looking behind, coping with obstacles and contact with other riders.

This will be on saturday 22.sept. 9.30 for a 10am start and will last about 2 hours. The venue will be our grass track on small gains lane. There will be no charge for this session.

We haven't done this before so I'm not sure what the demand will be. There will be a maximum limit of 20 riders and if there is a lot of demand then we can always run another session. It is aimed at newer riders but there are plenty of experienced riders who struggle to hold their line while looking over the shoulder or who panic if bumped into. This might also be for you.

Anyhow, if you want to come just put your name down on this thread and we will go from there.

Ta

Comments

• Tim - Great initiative - although I like to think of myself as a reasonable group rider I'd be up for learning how to deal with a bit of contact and I know my cornering could do with a bit of work.. bit of a problem with date though as it looks like I'll be heading up to Manchester that day with Holly - so interested but probably won't make this one.

Andrew
  • Would also be interested in doing this, but coming driving home from holiday that day.
  • Hi Mark,

I'm also interested but can't make that date so please let me know if you plan to run anymore sessions in the future.

Vicky
  • Tim's running it Vicky,but I am sure there will be others. Just what the club needs Tim...great initiative.
  • I'm good for the 22nd, or most Sundays through the winter.

Cheers !
  • Sounds like a great idea. We wont be around on 22nd though but would definitely be interested for another date.

Emmak
  • I suspect others would recommend me for this session....so I'd best attend :)
  • Fantastic Tim, thank you for taking the time to run this up-skilling session... needless to say, I'll be there.

Carolyn
  • Yes please, Tim. Think I've got q good at going in a straight line, but it's definitely time I got a bit more agile

Besides which, I know I'm going to have to get to grips with the Buckden Underpass soon (or get completely silent cleats, so I can chicken out without getting caught!)
  • Jane

After a season of club rides, time trials, group etiquette training, coping with obstacles, 100 miler's & mastery of the underpass - there's only a couple of things left to add to your repertoire. The interclub hill climb & a dabble at cyclo-cross.

You know you want to... :-)
  • edited September 2012
    Now then Tim

I will if you will

PS 100-miler is not in the bag yet. You might hear the drum roll when (not if) it finally happens. Keep your ears peeled (Sunday around about 4pm)
  • I guess I talked myself into that one
  • Ok folks, weather looks ok for saturday.

Just a reminder, i will be there from 9.30 for a 10 oclock start. The session is on grass and wont be hugely taxing physically. Just bring your normal road bike, shoes and helmet. Should be fun.

I have to make the point that the general standards of discipline and group riding skills across the club are fairly poor and that most members will learn something by coming along.

See you Saturday
  • Thanks for this Tim, I will be there never to old to learn!
  • Good call Tim, I've got something else on this Satuday otherwise I would be on for this. Please put my name down for next time? Thanks...!
  • I hope you get a good turnout Tim....This is a good initiative and with the number of riders we have everyone could benefit form a bit of group riding skill training.
    Even the best riders need a reminder every now and then

have fun everyone
  • Tim

I plan to come along.

Peter
  • Sounds good for me Tim i will be there
  • I plan to be there, elbow and knee pads?
  • Hello, my son is one of the younger riders (nearly 7) would this be beneficial to him?

Thank you and thank you so much for a fantastic day last Saturday.
  • new to the club and planning to attend
    thanks
    kevin
  • Hi ArchieB.

this one is specifically for adults only. A lot of it is stuff that we do with the kids in the summer on Thursday eves, but keep an eye out for the winter training sessions which would be fine for a 7 year old.
  • OK thank you
  • Ive probably missed it somewhere inthe thread, but meeting at the grass track or the Three Tuns?
  • Grass track Adam, and it might be a bit chilly in the morning and we wont be going too fast so wrap up.
  • Thank you for your time this morning, Tim.
    I found the session very useful and enjoyable.
    Rode all they way home looking over my shoulder.
    Thanks
    Adam
  • Many thanks for running the session this morning Tim, I learned a great deal in a short space of time.
  • edited September 2012
  • Thanks for the session Tim. Enjoyed my first experience on the grass track.

Peter
  • a really useful session - thanks to Tim for organising, falling off twice on grass will reduce my chances of hitting the tarmac on the road