Welcome to the forum

09:00 club run sunday 4th nov

edited November 2012 in Club runs
35-40 miles at 16 mph or thereabouts. 09:00 start from the tunns.
the bbc weather website entertainingly has the wind changing direction 3 times between 10 and 12,
from east to north to west... our version of super storm sandy maybe?

a possible route, 40 miles with plenty of shortcut options.
route
if we did it clockwise we'd have the wind behind us all the time if the bbc are right (which would be a first..)

normal club run rules apply club runs

Comments

• So there could be a chance to have a headwind all the way around?
  • whatever the bbc say.. yes thats the most likely outcome
  • Ill be out for the club run tomorrow as well, just looked at the forecast...grim. Off to find my overshoes and winter gloves!
  • yuk. it rained a lot and was cold. the mythical constant tail wind did not materialise.
    11 at the tunns but phil and theo went off and did their own thing.
    at potton 4 headed off home via wrestlingworth suffering from the cold.

left 5 of us to carry on north to eltisley, then home via the gransdens and a tail wind sort of.
    36 miles at 16.4 mph.
  • When it is very wet it is bad. When it is very cold it is bad too. However when it is both very wet and very cold it is really dreadful. So it was this morning. I think almost everyone was suffering from glove malfunction to some degree, Jon even ‘ice brazed’ a C02 infaltor cylinder to his with an early 3 Tuns puncture. Great to see newish Youth rider Danny Pedder out, he clearly got very cold quite soon into the ride and wisely decided to bail. For some reason 3 out of the remaining 6 riders offered to pace him back.

It is miserable to ride when you are really cold, so big respect to Danny for toughing it out and riding back. Not nice at the time, but I hope you can feel some satisfaction now.

Theo got back an hour after me. It seems his and Phil’s mega run diminished in length as they lost sensation in their fingers.

Tough, and all a bit 'Yorkshire'.

Daniel
  • Hmm, new gloves required. Hope you thawed out ok Dan.
  • You know it's been a wet ride when you can pour water out of your socks and gloves when you get home
  • that was horrific.

+1 new gloves
  • Thanks for the route stef.

Would have been nice but for the freezing wind & strong wind,on the subject of gloves i was wearing my new endura deluge gloves my hands were frozen and wet so don't bother with those never found glove yet that are waterproof windproof and thermal yet if anyone has please let me know.

Apart from that it was a nice ride , i split from the group at gamlingay headed the direct route home to thaw out.
    finished on 50 miles @17. see you all next week should be on the saturday ride as i am off work.

strappy.
  • I've heard ski gloves (+liners) are a good bet for horrendous weather but I bet these would keep the water out:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-xenon-gore-tex-road-gloves/

I'm personally thinking about these because I think the goretex waterproof layer will be a bit excessive (hot) for 95% of winter rides
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-xenon-windstopper-softshell-thermo-road-gloves/
  • Got these from Wiggle last year after freezing in the wet in Wales.
    They're like a wetsuit- let water in then warm the water up against your skin. Good in the very wet and cold...
    hot and clammy on warm days.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-diluvio-winter-cycling-gloves/
  • edited November 2012
    am riding with sealskin gloves up here guys...all o.k.so far.
    bit of a bugger if the cruelty to animal lobby catch on!! :-)
  • i was wearing the castelli diluvio's (see robbies post) yesterday and they were fine, very wet but stayed warm.
    would definitely recommend them for wet and cold.
  • I'd recommend staying indoors :)
  • David, Most sensible comment yet.
    Try the following in future:
    Sunday morning: wake up at 6am, hear p*****ing rain, roll over & go back to sleep.
    Wake up at 10am, all warm & cosy & dry.
    Think, I repeat think about the turbo in the garage
    Get lunch with wine -Hmmm nice

Don't feel guilty - were all too old for that
    Try all over again the following week & wheeze a little more