Welcome to the forum

CCA Gent6 trip - Nov 2012

Comments

• Weather forecast is mild(ish) and wet at the moment so i am getting ready for a good soaking. Cant bring myself to ride a winter trainer bike for 225miles with a rack on so am going on the Roubaix mit raceblades and a new rucksack which makes fantastic claims;)

Rubber gloves on order. Any tips for rain resistant shoe covers? i am leaning towards the shiny gimp like ones but havent been brave enough to do it just yet.

Less said about training the better but looking forward to this.

Looking at the route out i will probably meet you in Rushden or Ardeley rather than ride over to Ashwell
  • Yep. Could rain. Darn it.

I've got those Endura Waterproof gloves. Good price. Of course - the water gets in through the seams. But it does give that slight wet suit effect.

I've got Endura 'gimp' neoprene shoe covers. Again - after about 20 mins solid rain - it gets in both from the top of yer bibs. Or underneath. Cling film might help. But for this trip I'm hoping just for showers anyway and not too much of the heavy stuff.

Looks well above zero. And a bit bloomin breezy [drying effect?]. Any road: let's see what Julia Bradbury says on Sunday evening about next week's weather.

Saturday in Gent: there's a possible ride out to Ooudernaarde where all the Pros live and the Tour of Flanders museum. There's a canal path all the way there if wanted. 20 miles each way. Just a thought.

It's hard not to root for Kenny the Kettle eh!?!
  • edited November 2012
    Come on!

null

What a terrific spelling of united kingdom. I think.

Got one for t'Keisse.

If someone sees Bob: tell him I got him one. I figured he'd want one, he just didn't realise the internet existed to find out.
  • Get in. It's a collectors item already!
  • BBC weather currently quoting 19mph south westerly wind on Friday. We may get wet but if we're blown in i don't care!

Anyone got a bike spinnaker?
  • someone designed underarm flaps for just this James...think they were called batwings or summat.....nowt new eh?
    the problem was head winds I think...can't think why :-)
    great shirts Martin...all looking good
  • Chaps... I'll bring the charger for the garmin edge. Can someone bring one for an Exposure light?
    Cheeeers!
  • ive got the exposure charger Robbie - assume its same for all types?
    i'll also bring a bit of first aid stuff - gauze, bandage, antipseptic wipes, ibuprofen, etc -
    cheers
    iain
  • I've got the essential facewear packed.

null

null

Just double checking on the exposure charger: phone charger style not USB?

I'll pack an iPhone charger and micro and mini USB adaptor. And euro adaptor.

Blooming technology! No room for pants on the rack!

While I'm here riders: no Pro3 tyres or flashing rear lights eh?
  • exposure charger is not usb - the end looks like this one (but a plug not a car charger!)
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/18541/Exposure_Smart_Car_Charger
    iain
  • That's the one.

Geoff: you're carrying the track pump, yeh? Good lad.

And my cosy, fleece lined slippers for t'boat over?
  • Reckon 3 inner tubes each. Got gas and small pump.
    Geoff can carry the camping stove too...
  • sorry not to be joining you all on what will be a great trip.
    i noticed a classic T-shirt in the making so did add my name to the order. Did you pick that up Martin?
    Let me know if so and who to drop the money off to and when.
    If not i will be envious for the rest of my days.

have fun while i am stuck in the office preparing bids and managing staff.!!!
  • thanks for volunteering me guys but am all full up carrying the spare tyre :-)
  • I was just looking at the programme and noticed that we will be treated to a performance on friday night by Gary Hagger, whoever he is. Famous Belgian crooner?

Also noticed that saturday has a womens omnium in the programme. maybe with no brits riding the main event, the organisers have persuaded Trottie and her mates to hot foot it from Glasgow? Heres hoping.
  • Ok, looks like the Omnium is an all Belgian affair. I think the GB track squad are all off to Oz. I still hope there might be a british rider in the Omnium but it looks unlikely.

In other news...we will miss on thursday night a pursuit between Ludo Dierxsons (big bald Belgian lad who had a spectacular Tour de France stage win ages ago when i think he was officially an amateur) and the 2011 miss Belgium....er I've no idea what that is about.

and i also read that this bloke is riding his last race..

no, not Erik Zabel, the big lad on the moped...Joop Zijlaard. A bit of a superstar over there, the locals will go nuts.
  • Gent Mini Bus

Planning to leave at 7am on Friday from the Three Tuns Ashwell

Last check in at the Chunnel is 9:50 (train leaves at 10:20) this should allow plenty of time re the traffic etc.

Can you all please contact me to confirm ok on here or kit@ccashwell.com

Lindsay
    Bob
    Martin
    Kevin
    Gavin

See you there

Mark
  • To all those cycling over, ik wens je veel geluk toe

martin, we all owe you for the shirts, will settle up in gent if thats ok.
  • Yes, have fun intrepid cyclists, looks dry but that wind looks fierce! See you there.

Heres the standings after day 1... the first number is how many laps behind, the second the points, when you have 100 points you get a lap back.

Place Team Round Point
    1 Team Topsport Vlaanderen - Mercator
    Gijs Van Hoecke - The Ketele Kenny 0 78
    2 Team Omega Pharma
    Glenn O'Shea - Keisse Iljo 0 72
    3 VDK Team
    Marc Hester - Lasse Hansen 0 53
    4 Team ADMB
    Stroetinga Wim - Scoop Peter 0 39
    5 Team Euro Tyre Tyre centers
    Marguet Tristan - Marvulli Franco 1 66
    6 Team Mega Do-It-Yourself - John Saey
    Silvan Dillier - Robert Bartko 1 39
    7 Team Lotto
    Lampater Leif - Van der Sande Tosh 1 38
    8 Team Caruur
    Tim Mertens - The Buyst Jasper 1 27
    9 Team Callant - Decor Anda
    Vivien Brisse - Kneisky Morgan 1 23
    10 Team Province of East Flanders
    Peacock Moreno - Nicky Cocquyt 3 18
    11 Team Oudendijk
    Nolan Hoffman - Grassmann Christian 3 13
    12 Team Geka Cheese
    Muller Andres - Stahr Max 6 12
    13 Team AVS
    Steve Sketch - Breyne Jonathan 7 17
  • Hoping to ride out with you for a bit. Is it still 7.30am at the Tuns?
  • Yes. 730 start. Don't fancy the whole thing?
    Got a spare place.
  • No mate. I'll just come out for a couple of hours :)
  • Looks like a close race in the Madison developing between Kenny the Kettle and the Keisee:

Lotto Z6sdaagse Vlaanderen-Gent
    Plaats Ploeg Ronden Punten

1 Team Topsport Vlaanderen - Mercator
    Van Hoecke Gijs - De Ketele Kenny 0 158

2 Team Omega Pharma
    O'Shea Glenn - Keisse Iljo 0 154
    3 Team VDK
    Hester Marc - Hansen Lasse 0 114
    4 Team ADMB
    Stroetinga Wim - Schep Peter 1 75
    5 Team Mega Doe-Het-Zelf - John Saey
    Dillier Silvan - Bartko Robert 1 72
  • and heres the programme for Friday... no idea what most of it means, maybe Tim can shed some light?!
    Good value for money.. racing until 1:40 a.m.....

18:45 Tijdrit 500m
    19:00 Ploegkoers
    20:00 Voorstelling
    20:20 Ploegafvalling
    20:40 Puntenrit
    21:00 Tijdrit
    21:20 Ploegkoers
    22:30 Derny
    22:45 Afvalling
    23:00 Derny
    23:20 Tijdrit 500m
    23:45 Ploegkoers
    00:35 Derny
    00:50 Afvalling
    01:05 Derny
    01:25 Scratch
    01:40 Supersprint
  • Dont forget the Danes, coming up strongly and Lasse Hansen was superb at the olympics (omnium gold)

OK, so voorstelling at 20.00 is the rider presentation, before that is the under23 amateur event.
    Ploegkoers is the madison, puntenrit a points race, Afvalling a devil, tijdrit a time trial usually flying lap or flying 500,
    Derny is riding behind a motorbike, (yes gets very smelly). And anything with ploeg in front is a team event, the others are for 1 of the team.
    Not sure what supersprint involves and at 1.40 unlikely to be any the wiser after the event.
  • The Ghent Riders were in good spirits this morning. A couple of them seemed to be nursing hangovers already! Jane, Alistair and myself accompanied them as far as Much Hadham. After which we turned around and got blown home!

Good luck guys, that's a long ride ahead of you into that strong wind. Looking forward to hearing the story in due course...
  • Really hoping that the forecasters are wrong and you don't get 50 mph gusts in The Channel this evening.

Is french beer any good for sea sickness? Answers on a postcard pls
  • Flippin eck.

Bit breezy. 3 punctures for Adam. Two knacked tyres. Not too pleasant on A20 in rush hour. Geoffs brought a small house on his bike.

null
  • Great effort, long way in today's weather, much respect.