Welcome to the forum

Dragon Ride - meet in bar at Bryngarw House 8:30-9:30pm Saturday eve

edited November 2012 in Sportives
The ballot closes this Friday (30 Nov) so if you fancy a crack at this, the 'UK’s most prestigious sportive', now's the time to enter.

Medio Fondo takes in the Cimla, Rhigos and Bwlch climbs, as does the Gran Fondo, which also tackles the challenging ascents of the Black Mountain and the Devils Elbow in the Brecon Beacons.

Sounds like pretty much the best that South Wales has to offer in terms of climbing ... and it'd be great training for the Etape du Tour or Marmotte.

C'mon, you know you want to really :)

Comments

• Jane, I'm considering this - who else is in?
  • i know a guy at participate sports who organise this ride,
    if you get a big group together they'll be able to organise a single start time for everyone from cca
  • edited November 2012
    Cheers Stef
  • Bump - anyone else interested - Jane are you going for the Gran Fondo?
  • Yes, Gran Fondo. It'd be rude not to

Good to have you on board, Andrew. How about tackling the Gran in the Chiltern Hundred too?
  • Myself, Emma and TomH have put our names down. Medio not Gran though - 75 miles through the Brecon Beacons is more than enough !!

DavidJ
  • edited November 2012
    In the ballot for the Dragon Gran and yes to the Chiltern 100 Gran Jane. Guess I'd better lose a few kilos over the next few months....
  • In the ballot for the Medio!
  • In the ballot for the Gran Fondo..fingers crossed..
  • Who ended up with places on this, anyone fancy a team dinner the night before?
  • edited June 2013
    I'm leaving with Shaun early on Saturday and hoping to meet up with an ex-colleague later on, near Bridgend

Should be in the bar at Bryngarw House 8:30 - 9:30, so if anyone wants to talk tactics, sheep or just the usual bike banter it'd be great to see you there. It's just off the M4, north side of Bridgend. (Email me to exchange mobile nos jw@inspyration.co.uk)

http://www.bryngarwhouse.co.uk/how-to-find-us.aspx Also, if you're toying with the idea of staying down Sunday night as well, Bryngarw has a special offer - £25 B&B
  • Didn't sell my entry off so will be doing 'medio' hope to meet up with Dave's group at start
  • Late-on, I contacted Geoff but it was too late and he'd committed to the ride, and the late-ride entries through their web site were £100 each, so whilst I considered it .... have fun without me.
    Another year, maybe?
  • Geoff, the more the merrier for the medio. We are due to start at 9.50-10.10 with TomH.

We are staying with my folks in Newport S.Wales beforehand so will see you at the start.

Any other CCA doing the medio ???
  • edited June 2013
    What a fantastic way to spend a day!

TBH I have been worrying a bit about this ride as I really hadn't put the right amount of preparation in but so glad I entered and went for the Gran Fondo. I'm sitting sipping (well quaffing) a well deserved beer in the excellent hotel that Shaun & Jane recommended and feeling pretty pleased with myself despite the aching muscles (& sunburnt calves - doh forgot to put suncream there)

There's no question that the climbs are hard, it's been the toughest event I've done since I started cycling. That said, with the exception of Devils Elbow and a few little kicks they had a completely different character to the Chilterns last week. Much longer drags but just needed to pick the right pace and get a rhythm and they eventually got eaten up.

The pay off for the hard hills was the fantastic descents - amazing fun as the road surfaces were pretty good in the main and visibility was excellent - I learnt a lot about getting down hills fast today too.

Other good things about this ride - the scenery was awesome, locals were welcoming, organisation was good if a little bit over the top.

I think there were only three of us on the Gran Fondo in the end - I saw Jane briefly at the halfway foodstop then shortly afterwards Shaun & Jane passed me, Shaun giving me a welcome little push as he went past. I saw Geoff118 & I guess TomH as I was getting ready for the start but looking forward to how the others got on.

Not sure if I'd do the Dragon again but I will certainly be looking for other similar rides next year (long ascents - fast descents - epic scenery) - any suggestions anyone?
  • edited June 2013
    Jealous!
    Check out the Gospel 200 perhaps which I rode in May - Shaun has ridden it too.
    The big draw: the climb up the Black mtn pass from the south and beware, it's a pig nearing the summit. The descent, 8+ miles of glorious, well sighted, newly laid black-stuff into Hay on Wye.
    200km with about 3000m of climbing (I think). It's a triple AAA rated route. For me, it was the route back which really had me in raptures, just lovely scenery.

A beer well deserved, just don't doze off before you finish it!