Welcome to the forum

9.00 am Saturday 29th June - Ride to The Blue Egg Cafe, Great Bardfield, Essex

edited June 2013 in Club runs
As well as the usual on this Saturday, there will also be a ride to The Blue Egg Cafe, Great Bardfield, Essex, CM7 5PY

It's been suggested that I mention that on my last visit to this cafe there were about 60-70 other cyclists from 7-8 other clubs, as it's quite popular with cyclists.

The Blue Egg from Ashwell - 36 miles:

The Blue Egg from Royston - 31 miles:

The Ashwell group will leave The Three Tuns at 9.00am sharp!

The Royston group will leave THE ROYSTON SPORTING CLUB, Therfield Heath, Baldock Road, Royston, SG8 5BG at 9.00am - FREE PARKING.

The two groups will meet at Hare Street (where the B1368 crosses the B1038) at about 9.50am.

Alternatively, anyone wanting a shorter ride can park their car at Hare Street and join the ride at this point. The distance to the Blue Egg from here is 25 miles.

As it's an out & back linear ride with a cafe stop in the middle, we may split into a couple of groups to accommodate the pace required by all i.e. fast as well as steady. The return route home can be varied on the day if we wish.

For cafe and route details please follow these links:

http://www.theblueegg.co.uk/index.html

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/227415141

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/227405619

Comments

• A favourite of local lad Alex Dowsett.

And look who was there yesterday.
  • damn why is everything good happening on the same day! thetford, the last elveden, this ... .. ...
  • edited June 2013
    ...well Pearce, now you will be able to tweet that you were in there!

We can always do another ride later in the year, Nathaniel - & I'd never be able to keep up with you on the ride there anyway!

Good luck with your race on the 29th.
  • Sounds like a great idea, except that whoever was responsible for arranging tomorrow's weather should probably be fired!

Have a good one anyway. And yes, please do it again when summer comes
  • You're in luck Jane, this isn't tomorrow but the following Saturday, 29th. Sun might be out then.
  • yee haaa
  • Looking forward to it! Susan
  • Ok so the forecast is giving me any glowing yellow blobs, but it is looking remarkably dry and un-windy

Who's up for the slightly pacier version of this hunt for the Blue Egg? Not egg-ceptionally fast though. Wouldn't want to arrive feeling hard-boiled or fried . . .
  • Forecast looks ok - shame it wont be sunny side up but I'm egg-cited to be pedalling in the dry.

Not sure I'll want to go with the faster group as I've scrambled up hills for the last couple of weeks, feeling a bit poached.
  • C'mon, it'll be a cracking ride. You going soft in the middle?
  • This might sound like the third degree questioning but

When we say fast, how fast are we talking?

How long does it take for the round trip (roughly - I know it depends on speed

Where in Royston can I join - should I (a) pluck up the courage and (b) get this to fly past the wife !!!!)

That's all the questions done i will put done the bright light in the face and the rubber hose.
  • edited June 2013
    Are you Letchworth Peter that comes out some Saturdays? If it is you, you will be fine! CCA Saturday fast is not that fast by Sunday fast standards. I'll definitely be on the steady group, so you can keep me company. It will just be good to accommodate the pace that everyone is happy with.

The Royston meeting point is as at the top of the blog, as is the Hare Street meeting point. Driving to Royston will be a possible for you....

Hope to see you wherever
  • Hi John, I think I'm the Letchworth Peter you know from Saturdays. I'm going to give this ride a go, so thanks very much for your reassurance! I'll be starting from Ashwell though.

Pete
  • edited June 2013
    Myself and Emma are going to meet all of the Blue Egg riders that are starting from Ashwell by the duckpond in Sandon. We will leave Baldock about the same time you leave Ashwell so meet about 9.15ish? If somebody would like to steer the group to Sandon I'll take over from there.

Anybody else from Baldock/Letchworth want to ride over the same way??
  • Can't make this unfortunately. I used to live out that way and went a couple of times. From what I remember the Carrot cake was outstanding. I seem to remember trying to buy more and stuff it in my back pockets for later.

Enjoy!
  • David - I'll probably join you - where's best to meet?

If I'm late don't wait as I'm out tonight...
  • How about the bottom of the Wallington road, just off the double roundabout over the bypass at 9am?
  • Got it - once again, if I'm not there, don't wait
  • great ride, thanks to john m and david for the idea and route / navigation. 83 miles by the time I got home.
    hope all groups got back safely.
    great caf
  • Thanks for a great ride - really enjoyed it. My longest ride to date. Enjoyed the chain gang on the way back - really helped to eat up those miles... Great company too :-)
    Many many apologies from Dave (in the pink T-Mobile top) who managed 3 (yes 3!) punctures - thank you for your patience and those who helped with puncture no. 1 (and David for cycling back to try to locate him during puncture no. 2).
  • edited June 2013
    Great turnout today for the Blue Egg ride. Amazingly the multiple meet ups all seemed to work well & an impressive CCA peloton formed at Hare street. After my fruitless search for Dave, we decided that perhaps the mighty CCA peloton was just a bit too mighty, so we split into two with myself and JohnM navigating the two groups.

This would have been fine except for the fact that I'd only been to the blue egg once before, sometime in April only roughly knew where I was going. Still with some help from Stef and some handy Essex road signs we managed to get there for some extremely fine cake & ginormous sarnies.

After a quick hello to John's group at the Egg and some directions on how to get back we set off for the return leg which we quickly realised was not going to be as easy or fast as the way out as it was all uphill and into a headwind ! Half of the group split in Newport and headed back to Royston and the remainder of us formed a tidy peloton to work our way back to Baldock/Ashwell.

So, 75 miles @16 when I got back which is pretty good going.

Thanks all for some great company and a great ride. Will def have to do it again before the end of summer.
  • edited June 2013
    Many thanks to all those who supported an excellent CCA ride today, which everyone seemed to enjoy.

We had 20 in total (-1 somewhere en-route to Hare Street when Dave suffered his second puncture).

There was a real buzz, or should I say lots of clucking(!) amongst the group when we got to the Blue Egg!

A particular ‘well done’ to our petite Lanterne Rouge group who held a good through-and-off discipline, which helped considerably all the way home.

When shall we go again...?
  • Thanks everyone for a super day out. Especially John, for the organising and encouragement.