Welcome to the forum

Saturday 13th July 9.30am club ride

edited July 2013 in Club runs
As its going to be a cracking day weather wise tomorrow, thought that we could do a slightly longer club ride (47 miles) and do some new roads.

so let do this route: Ashwell-Barrington-Barton-Dry Drayton-Longstowe-Ashwell

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/244636269

I'm not 100% sure on the directions around Barton/Madingley/Highfields etc so if somebody could give me a hand with navigation/put the route into their GPS that would be great.

See you tomorrow, don't forget the sunblock :)

Comments

• edited July 2013
    INTERMEDIATE RIDE SUGGESTION

This looks good David, I know the route, but your new Saturday pace tomorrow will be too fast for me and some others I suspect.

Unless Susan or anyone else has anything else in mind; I'm happy to navigate about a 33 mile (or possibly longer if required) version of this route at a steady pace for a second group by turning off left in Haslingfield and rejoining your route at Bourn.
  • Think I'll tag along with you John, the distance sounds fine and like an easier pace.
    See you tomorrow,

Pete
  • Sounds good, I will be there.
  • I will probably join you John, it would suit me.
  • I'll make my mind up en-route
  • Hi, John, Lucia (my lass) and I, will be joining you tomorrow too.
    Thanks, Susan
  • edited July 2013
    Gutted I will not be able to make it out :(
  • edited July 2013
    Fifteen of us out today on a scorchingly hot morning. Good pacing by TomH to the top of Barrington hill where he and PeteT left us to fend for ourselves which was a slight worry as they were the only two who knew the route around Madingley !

After Chris played chicken with a big red bus on the Barton roundabout we carried on to the excellent roads around dry Drayton, Hardwick and Toft. In true TDF stylie, a few of us saw the opportunity for some echelons on the Toft road and split the peloton neatly in two. After a quick regroup & a stop in Longstowe to remove an angry wasp from Emma's top we carried on at a pace to Gamlingay & then Ashwell.

We lost AdamR somewhere in Gamlingay when his bike developed a mysterious squeak. A search party was formed to retrieve him but he had vanished into thin air. Hope you got home ok..........

A cracking pace was set by Omega-Quickstep Emma down Northfields road, but she was just pipped on the line for the sprint win on the 10 finish line.

Thanks to Vic for steering us round Hardwick and Toft & for the bottle fill in Gamlingay.

Think it ended up being 49 @17.

Cheers all for a great ride

Cactus Dave :)
  • After my "massive, barely survivable crash" the squeak turned out to be rear tyre rubbing.

Re did the rear skewer and all quite again...as was the road with the peloton vanished in the distance. Into Potton..turn left, straight on, right?

I took to one I knew you would not have gone, and went off to Everton and across the A1 to home.

Finished with 70 miles.

Was a good ride...thanks

Adam
  • Definately a hot one, but was great to be on my bike again after Hampton Court Flower Show.

Good route and company - thanks - 49.2 mile at 17.3 for me and the shower after never felt so good!
  • Great ride again, thanks all, I really enjoyed that route. And thanks for the water topup Vic, don't think we would have made it back without that.

Glad you were ok Adam...
  • 9 of us were on the INTERMEDIATE GROUP, riding a cut down version of David’s ride. On the way back from Bourn we did 12 miles of ‘through and off’ to Eyeworth, which worked well.

This was followed by an ‘at you own pace’ for the final 4 miles down Northfields Road, which helped Ollie and a few others release some of their pent up speed which had gradually been building since the start of the through and off at Bourn!

We flew by the CCA 8 o’clockers - only because they were at the side of the road fixing a puncture...

Good ride - 38 miles @ 15 - and no wasps!
  • edited July 2013
    We turned left just after the Potton sign Adam and then right towards the crossroads where we waited for you. Myself and Tim cycled back to Gamlingay, but we must have just missed you as you wizzed through Potton. Glad that you got back ok.

Good stats JohnM, must be that plastic bike ;)
  • Thanks, John, for a lovely ride in good company.
    Susan