Welcome to the forum

Ride to Rutland Water, Sunday 18 Aug, 7.00am

edited August 2013 in Club runs
Riding out to Rutland Water on a long one...

Meet 7.00am on Sunday, Three Tuns. 144 miles @ 17s. 4 cafe stops. Reasonably flat ride. Some lumps towards Rutland but nothing too arduous.

Possible 85m option if you drive to Kimbolton and meet us there...

Route:
Ashwell, Blunham, Kimbolton, Wadenhoe (1), Oundle, Edith Weston, Rutland Water (2), Oakham, Harringworth, Oundle (3), Gt. Gidding, Stow Longa, Grafham Water (4), Ashwell

Cafes:
(1) The Old Barn at Wadenhoe, 44m
(2) Harbour Cafe Bar & Restaurant, Rutland Water, 70m
(3) Smiths At No.4, Oundle, 93m
(4) Harbour View Cafe, Grafham Water, 118m

Route outline and GPS download (via the Summary tab) available here:
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=596350

Shaun

Comments

• I might, just might be able to squeeze this in without losing my job. Back by 5.30pm? The earlier the better for me...
  • The Old Barn cafe opens at 9.30am. We could conceivably leave at 7am, do 44m @ 17s and arrive just as it opens...

I'm scheduling 8.5hrs riding Ashwell to Ashwell (144 miles @ 17s) and around 1.5-2hrs for 4 stops. So 10-10.5 hrs total.

You could take a slightly more direct route to Letchworth after Kimbolton on the way back (saves a few miles) and not do the Grafham cafe stop (saving that time as well).

I think it could work.

Plus, it's only your job anyway :)
  • 7am? Okay... I'm in. I think.
  • edited August 2013
    Hiya lads

Can't do this ride - this year. A shame.

Just wondered though. This route reminded me of an ambition to create the inaugural Ashwell-Ashwell-Ashwell Classic. You'd need to find another six miles in the legs to nip up from Oakham and back, getting a photo of the village sign - to qualify for the official CCAAAA badge...

null

I hope to reignite the end-of-season Ashwell-Wells-Next-The-Sea 123 mile Classic maybe on a Friday in October this year, if the weather is kind. Might be a bit darker than previous years' runs in Sept so bring lights if anyone fancies it. The train from King's Lynn usually gets us back to Ashwell 7ish.

ta

Martin
  • Martin,

Fantastic news re Wells, do it half term week and I can definitely attend. Don't want to miss this.

Peter
  • Bit of local history:

There used to be a brewery in (our) Ashwell, called Fordham's. George Ruddle came here to learn brewing, married Nora Fordham in the process and then took a job as manager of the Langham Brewery. Langham is the next village to the other Ashwell, a couple of miles from Oakham.

In 1911 George bought the Langham Brewery and it stayed as a family business, producing the well-loved Ruddles beer until 1986 when Watneys bought it. After several changes of ownership, the brewery was eventually demolished and the site is now occupied by houses. Today, Greene King produces Ruddles (from goodness only knows where) and in my house at least, it's referred to as Counterfeit Ruddles.

So George Ruddle knew 2 Ashwells. Just a shame that Martin's Ashwell-Ashwell-Ashwell Classic can't include an authentic Ruddles or Fordhams refreshment/recovery drink.
  • Jane - what would it take to remake a Ruddles homebrew styley in Ashwell and use it to carb the way there on this beauty?

Pete - excellent idea to look at a half-term AWNTS123 date. cheers!
  • edited August 2013
    OMG are they pedalling? FANtastic

That gives a whole new meaning to 'drafting'. Maybe the Bushell or the Tuns would sponsor one of these for the Ashwell Festival of Cycling?
  • edited August 2013
    I'm in

7am start is fine with me ... though it's easier to say that than to do it :)
  • Changed start to 7am...
  • See you at the Tuns.
  • I'm up for this. May depend how i am after open 25 on Sat but keen to come. Looks like off-road at Rutland Water? Will text you Shaun if i can't make it.
  • There's a good tarmac cycle path around Rutland Water (that will be busy with recreational cyclists, walkers, etc). The path crosses some gravel car parks in places. Easy enough, though.

Might revert back to the road on the north side as I seem to remember no view of water from that part...
  • Nuts. You're all nuts.
    Where do you find the time and energy to fit in 144 miles in one day.
  • Gutted but not able to join you in the morning - have a good one.
  • Cameron's brake.

Unbelievable.

Beautiful day, lovely company, wonderful route. Sundays don't get much better than that.

I clocked 154 miles at 17.6mph.

Bit tired now...
  • No ants, no punctures ... but sooooo many wasps. And I'll never forgive the one that stung me (or the one that got Will in the mouth)

V tired, me. And sore, but it was a great route and fun going off-piste for spectacular views across Rutland Water - definitely a day to remember. My longest ride to date at 148 miles
  • My longest ride also. Thank you to Shaun for yet again another great route and cafes. Thank you also to my fellow riders for waiting for me to catch up whilst I took in a little detour of the Rutland countryside.
  • Six out on the long ride to Rutland Water. Ashwell to Ashwell was 147 miles @ 17.1, so right on schedule. Just the one mishap when we somehow lost Martin for a while.

It was a good ride, if a little tiring in the seemingly permanent crosswind. Thanks to Martin, Will, Jane, Dan and Cam for your company.
  • Great ride really enjoyed it, thanks to everyone for putting up with my musical bike! Brilliant route, scenery and company.
    Thanks
    Cam
  • Thanks guys,
    That was a brilliant ride! Loved the route and the scenery
    An overall great day out on the bike even though I was half dead coming home from ashwell
    Thanks
    Dan