Welcome to the forum

CCA Ashwell—Wells-Next-The-Sea 123-miles Classic, Fri 25th Oct 8am

Comments

• Sorry, I'm going to have to drop out of this one. Going on a course now.

Mark.
  • edited October 2013
    No probs Mark. See you soon.

Martin L
    Peter G
    Strappy
    Tim D
    Phil K
    Stef
    Nathaniel
    Vic
    Martin H
    John R
    Jon C
    Andrew R
    Trump & Co. [riding halfway]
    Andy H
    Vince
    Tania
    Jill S
    J Mac
    Robert B
  • I could be up for this again, weather permitting ;-)
  • Going to have to pull out of this one, I'm afraid. End of show party night before, probably won't get home till the time you guys are leaving. Probably not safe. Probably.
  • Better quality GPS maps of the route

Ashwell — Wells
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3541089

Wells — King's Lynn
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3541110

RidewithGPS.com has updated itself. It's pretty good for mapping.

Forecast is warm, tailwind and showers. You might wanna think mudguards.

Martin L
    Peter G
    Strappy
    Tim D
    Phil K
    Stef
    Nathaniel
    Vic
    Martin H
    John R
    Jon C
    Andrew R
    Andy H
    Vince
    Tania
    Jill S
    J Mac
    Robert B
    Nige
  • Hi. Can you add a friend of mine Grant Bohm to the list for Friday. Hes just in process of joining the club and would like to come along for the fish, chips and beer action. He is more than capable of the distance so no worries on that.
  • Martin L
    Peter G
    Strappy
    Tim D
    Phil K
    Stef
    Nathaniel
    Vic
    Martin H
    John R
    Jon C
    Andrew R
    Andy H
    Vince
    Tania
    Jill S
    J Mac
    Robert B
    Nige
    Grant B
    Jon S

I've added Jonathan S on too. Just looking back on this thread, he was talking about doing it fixed a bit ago. I'm assuming you're up for it Jon.

While here - just a reminder on food. We'll take a short break in Ely 37 miles in - plenty of coffee/food options about. Then we'll plan to stop off around Narborough, where there's just a lousy newsagent/post office thing really. So deffo pack something. Don't rely on foraging there.

Found the badge machine. Making the finishers' badges tonight.
  • love the photo. can't wait for this, going to be a good to be on the bike for a whole day!
  • looks like we will have a very wet start. If we are lucky the wet weather will come a bit earlier and will get ahead of us. If we are unlucky and are scooting along with the wind we might be under it quite a while :(
  • Don't worry Tim, if it gets really bad we can all take shelter under your saddlebag!

Too late to back out now, the badges are made.
  • Looks like we might be brushing our teeth with Belgian toothpaste in the morning.

I'll be layering up, cos there's a warm dry breeze for the afternoon and so ditching the gubbins somewhere after Narborough I reckon.

Note: it's a warm dry headwind from Wells. We'll be looking for a few heroes on the front to King's Lynn, or 'double badgers' as they're otherwise known.
  • Am wondering if Tim will have the last laugh with his bag. Am toying with the idea of a complete change of dry kit in Wells but wondering if my lightweight rack can handle the truth...

Might go for full Michelin Man layers to start with which I wouldn't ordinarily do. And have checked that my mini pork pies have full waterproof packaging.

I'll suggest we don't hang around getting cold in the morning and leave promptly at 8:00am.
  • There will be no room in my bag for trivial items such as dry kit...

I will meet you on the Wendy road at the junction with the chaingang route, you know, by the letter box. ill be there at 8.10.
  • I'll link up at the end of the Wendy Road at A1198 junction (11.5K) - 8.20 ish
  • Tim/James - is there a waterproof structure near said junction to shelter in or would this be an unacceptable comfort?

hope you all have a good safe ride and sorry(ish) I can't make it. The badge collection will just have to remain as is
  • Anyone bailing out at Ely or Downham Market without a good excuse is officially a 'half badger'.

The weather forecast is creeping towards better than worse actually. Keep mentally putting the big yellow jacket on then taking it off again.

8:10 Flecks Lane
    8:20 A1198
    Gotcha.

Don't forget yer lights all.

My mobile: 07977 652 247
  • Darn. Meetings all day meant I missed getting to condor before 6pm closing time so only have a race cape. May go for duck fat and cling film instead now.
    For the faff I am taking an arm chair, full change of clothes and a phone. Might dig out a map if I have one too.
    This is going to be the craziest thing I have done to date on a bike. Anything over 90 miles counts in that category so this is off the scale.
    Hope I don't become a half badger but this is a possibility with my propensity to bonk.
    Saw a white hart this morning on way to work.
    This is a good omen right?
    off the scale.
  • Weather seems to be improving all the time, its suggesting it will dry up from 10 now.
    Dan P may also be joining us as well, he will be with me at the fen rd/ flecks lane junction.

Vince, no way are you half badger! and no one is bonking on this ride...ive just filled the saddlebag. ( i am a tad concerned about getting up the col d'Arrington mind)
  • going to have to pull out. gutted. been battling with a tender submission due tomorrow and finally have to admit defeat and work tomorrow a.m.
    hope you have a great ride folks.
  • sounds anatomical Stef...bad luck.
    Peter...I think you'll have to take care , there's a Badges cull on at the moment...ba careful everyone and have a good ride
  • Unlucky Stef. Although when you look out of the window in the morning you might be a little relieved.
  • God I hope I wake up, if I don't have a good ride guys.
    Unlucky stef
  • Stef! :-((

Defeat the submission and haul yerself to Downham Market on t'train for 11:30ish???
  • Chapeau!

Drying in Central London as I type - may the wind be with you and the sun shining by 10!

Enjoy all - a fantastic route.

Adam
  • lovely to see you all this morning... 23/24 riders out? muddy and 2 punctures before i turned around at 35 miles... i hope you don't miss your train!
  • Shower!! Ahhhh!
  • edited October 2013