Welcome to the forum

Sunday 6 April - 9.30

edited April 2014 in Club runs
Will plan a route in the morning after seeing what the weather brings.

40 - 50 miles @ 16 plus, usual rotations of 10 minute turns on the front,

Mix of both flat & hills as last week,

Currently thinking of a route out to Braughing, Pelhams and back with the breeze.

9.30 at the Tuns.

Comments

• Should be out Andy, if my back is any better....meanwhile I'm taking some red wine for medicinal purposes only!

Where's the Cap'n?

John
  • He should be out if he manages to shift the scurvy contracted last week, understand he has tried to counter it with visit to local place of worship, followed by copious remedies from a local hostelry. Assures me he will be on the bridge tomorrow, unless............
  • Yo ho!

Surely the local place of worship is the same as the local hostelry? Perhaps several GnTs with lemon will cure the scurvy!
  • Hi Andy

Will join you with classic but worn out 80s racer if I can - am currently removing it from mothballs from where it will need a quick polish and bottle cage fitting.

Rupert
  • I will go if James goes.
  • I'll be out if Pete2 is out....
  • Not sure crew members holding hands will give a good impression, or is it to be tandems?
  • Just want to see the birthday boy. And if the Cap'n has found his sea legs....not long until the voyage around the Spanish Main....you know No Nonsense Nick has been putting in secret training!
  • Which route today?
  • Tried drinking in church
    Helped for the moment, but a miracle did not occur
    Green machine also in trouble ,being rebuilt

The vuelta is lost, no nonsense the right approach
    Will return from the ashes next week
    Commodore to deck hand in 2 weeks, the sea is a cruel place

Have booked a place on the tandem
    Just practicing putting a nose in front , takes some real balance though

Can Man and machine be rebuilt ?
    Time will tell

CP
  • Solo voyage south into the hills today and blown home.

Hitchin, Codicote, Panshanger, Essendon, Potters Bar, Little Berkhamsted (there be monsters around there!) Hertford, Bramfied, Watton, Weston.

55 miles @ 15.3mph. Pooped.

FD
  • Thanks guys, I needed that.
    And to think - I almost took the easy option of a local ride on my own.

I made it around 45 miles at 15mph & 3hrs.

Legs are insisting I take a day off on Monday, but that rounds off a decent 1st week back club riding proper-like; and I'm stuffed!

178 miles, 11:30hrs, 6K of climbing. It will be a well earned beer that I gift myself this evening.
  • FDFD
    edited April 2014
    'The sea is a cruel place'

The Cruel Sea is a 1951 novel by Nicholas Monsarrat. It follows the lives of a group of Royal Navy sailors fighting the Battle of the Atlantic during World War II.

The novel.........gives a matter-of-fact but moving portrayal of ordinary men learning to fight and survive in a violent, exhausting battle against the elements and a ruthless enemy.

Hope the recovery of man and machine is swift, Cap'n.

FD
  • edited April 2014
    Sir, I was Army, a Lt, only five yrs & left in 1987. Ahhhhh, them were the days.

Ergo, I be a landlubber. 'Tis a far better place, the land, at least you don't need y'er Speedos.

http://tinyurl.com/n2ktnd

Patrick Hennessey's The Junior Officers' Reading Club is a lucid, witty account of all the horror, boredom and exhilaration of war.

Patrick Hennessey is pretty much like any other member of Generation X: he spent the first half of the noughties reading books at university, going out, listening to early-90s house on his iPod and watching war films. He also, as an officer in the Grenadier guards, fought in some of the most violent combat the British army has seen in decades.

Telling the story of how a modern soldier is made, from the testosterone-heavy breeding ground of Sandhurst to the nightmare of Iraq and Afghanistan, The Junior Officers' Reading Club is already being hailed as a modern classic.: http://tinyurl.com/n2ktnd
  • edited April 2014
    Sounds like the Black Pig has become a battle ship !
    Obviously missing the intellectual humour and banter of the Captain
    ( spelt correctly despite US spell check )

I will return, take the helm and blow up the mizzen once more
    fear not , you will have a jolly roger again soon

CP

PS for those getting the supportive whispering from a fan of ours see this

The Whisperer in Darkness
    Short Story by H. P. Lovecraft
    "The Whisperer in Darkness" is a short story by H. P. Lovecraft. Written February–September 1930, it was first published in Weird Tales, August 1931. Similar to "The Colour Out of Space", it is a blend of horror and science fiction. Wikipedia