Welcome to the forum

Tyre flint classification

edited April 2014 in General
I’m collecting the flints I pull out of my tyres this year with the intention of making a mosaic. Realistically this might not be very big, but I am hoping for some good artistic inspiration in December.

I pulled a few out of my tyres from the London Phoenix and this got me thinking, maybe we should have some classification system? So here’s what I suggest.

Flints are usually triangular, so using the formula ‘half base times height’ you get the area. Using a ‘Carat’ system we can now define the following:
24 carat = 8mm^2
21 carat = 7mm^2
18 carat = 6mm^2
15 carat = 5mm^2
12 carat = 4mm^2
9 carat = 3mm^2
6 carat = 2mm^2
3 carat = 1mm^2

My best so far has been an 18 carat gem from Hog Hill, whereas at Monday’s London Phoenix Easter Classic I only mined some 3 carat ones.

Comments

• Daniel,

How do you classify a 1/2" carpet tack from the Paris Roubaix Mons-et-Pevele pave secteur?
    Thats what I found in my tyre last Saturday....

Unfortunately I didn't keep the offending sharp for you to use in the mosaic

JRVM
  • I think a carpet tack would fall into the category 'semi precious metal'.
  • why no 21 carat?
  • Oops. Do you have any specimens Phil?
  • Daniel, i absolutely love these bonkers schemes of yours. I will definitely save all my flints for your mosaic. The one that punctured me on the Phoenix was tiny, i almost missed it, probably below 3 carats, but then i was on lovely Veloflex tyres....would more compliant latex tubes have helped with such a tiny flint? dont know.
  • I picked out all the flints from my race tyres this year, then put in a small bag. I lost the bag! Man! Marginal pains.
  • 2 x 3 carats for the Phoenix for me yesterday...threw them away, sorry!

As for the following description of the Conti Grand Prix (should that be price?) 4 seasons......pah!

"Toughness and wet weather performance make it ideal for fast Audax and all year round road racing.

Thanks to its DuraSkin anti-tear fabric, the Grand Prix 4 Season holds up under extreme conditions. In the Paris Roubaix race, the Hell of the North, cyclists equipped with DuraSkin enhanced tyres have the fewest tyre related problems during the race. Incorporating Conti's special wear resistant carbon compound, the tyre is characterised by very good mileage performance as well as excellent adhesion on wet roads and at low temperatures.

A double Vectran Breaker belt under the tread raises the puncture and cut protection to the highest level available on the market."
  • sorry guys, but I've already told you on several occasions which tyres are the best. If you choose to ignore the advice you'll continue to suffer.. :-) love the carat system Daniel.
    Just a thought also. When you stop on a cyclosportive for food/drink do you check tyres for flints or on a long club ride at coffee break or for a comfort break ??.....how long would it take after all ?? might well save you from a puncture before continued cycling drove it deeper into the tyre.
    Still, despite all efforts, if some nut strews tacks or you get a snake bite from impact or the flints are very frequent and sharp I guess there isn't much you can do.
  • I bet loctite have a product that prevents punctures
  • My 4Seasons tyres have served me v well through 2 winters. I put them back on, just for LdnPheonix - mostly to preserve my new GP4000s, which definitely get cut up a lot faster

As Tim said, it was a tough course for tyres. Perhaps heavier riders have a bigger puncture risk? There may also be variation in batches of tyres ... and I reckon they change a bit with age too ... who knows? Luck plays a big part
  • I fished out a 24 carat from my front the other day, but threw it away! Doh!

I knew it was there because the front wheel made a resounding clink sound every revolution. No puncture though, but then I rarely do.
  • My options would appear to be:

1/ Lose weight...yes, I know!
    2/ Fit solid rubber tyres
    3/ Take out a second mortgage and buy Geoff's recommended tyres at almost £50 each on Wiggle
    4/ Find a four leaf clover, wear a rabbit's foot or throw salt over my shoulder before each ride.

Think I'll continue with option 1 and see how we go!!
  • If you want something grippy in wet and dry conditions and bulletproof then I'd highly recommend the bontrager RXL all weather hardcases. They've got them pretty cheap on the Evans website at the moment. They're a bit heavy though and don't feel quite as nice as the Vittorias...
  • hahaha John.....there's lots of heavy guys out there riding, so it can't be all about weight....maybe your luck will change. Like it Nat :-) sure Jon will chip in soon.
  • daniel

do any of my tyres count if so i would win hands down, whole house bricks, huge lumps of concrete,assorted spanners , spark plugs, half a back leg from a stag,

you would be amazed at what we find sticking out of tyres.

strappy.

(p.s.your not busy enough at work).
  • now you all have picked the flints out of your tyres. oh noo now i have a hole im my tyre where flints can easily entre and punchure my tyre.

Loctite 382 instant adhesive will close the hole and stop flints re-entering the hole.
  • Drum roll....(deep breath)...

.........are tubs more puncture resistant than clinchers?

....(retreats to a safe distance)....!!!
  • the only way that could be is that you dont get pinch flats with tubs where as you do with a clincher
  • Oi, Road scummers this is getting a bit long winded....
  • Jon
    Would that ... ahem superglue... not then become something which could cause a puncture?

I'#m not being funny i've always actually wondered that
  • interesting question Nat. My take is that you would squeeze glue into slit whilst the tyre was fully inflated and then let the air out so closing the slit. The only glue would be a very fine line. If you filled the slit with glue and did not deflate it would probably crystalise forming a sharp pointed slug filling the space left by the flint with acrylic which would act just like a flint so no gain, other than another puncture :-)
  • Geoff and Nat: You use a very small amount of glue to close the slit left by the flint; this bonds the two surface (within the slit) as oppose to just 'filling in a flint shaped hole'. When applying the glue, with a tooth pick, the tyre is being squeezed to open the slit and once let go the slit is bonded shut. This is common practice in repairing tyres, neither me or anyone I know has had a puncture due to this method.
  • Thanks Theo...was having some fun...........this glue only works when there is no gap!!! there is no such thing as a gap filling glue.