Welcome to the forum

8am Saturday 10 May another 100M

edited May 2014 in Club runs
Where shall we go?

Comments

• Route to finish in Baldock around 1pm to catch the women's race?
  • I'm meant to be TT'ing buy the weather looks awful in the afternoon with heavy gusts. I'm leaning more towards this, it's been a while!
  • Think MC and I will be riding on fixed just because of the weather. Might be a 70m or so...
  • can't make it sorry, I'm doing track training / need to be in the city asap after :(

at this rate i won't even make it to the end of the chiltern 100 haha.,.......
  • edited May 2014
    I'm gonna brave the rain and take out the fixed for 70M ish….
    maybe the GD clockwise and turn off at Wallington to go to Baldock on the way back
    or do a hilly Hexton, Sundon, Lilley, Knebworth, Walkern, Wallington then Baldock.
  • Rule #9:

Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.
  • Hi Robbie,

Should be there, will dig out the winter bike I think.
  • I'll be there, I vote hills!!
  • edited May 2014
    If you're doing hills and winter bikes, I'm in
    (... probably)
  • Always the winter bike!!
  • Could join you en route somewhere and flog myself for a bit. Are you coffee stopping anywhere and what time roughly? Have to be back in Hitchin by 12.30ish to pick my son up and cycle to Wymondley for Women's Tour.
  • Should be there.
  • Robbie,
    I hope to attend
    Peter
  • edited May 2014
    Probably do the Hexton Sundon route...
    then Lilley... coffee at Whitwell but not sure what time John. There is a turn off then to easily get back before 12.
  • Happy with that Robbie!
  • Good luck in the Womens Tour, John
  • FDFD
    edited May 2014
    Toasting the Giro with some Chianti Classico, so will see what tomorrow brings!

May join the 9.30 club run instead, as that heads out to Sharpenhoe and passes nr Hitchin...without too many hills!

Jane, you should be in the Women's Tour...when are you going to start racing?!

Arrivederci!
  • Great ride and company. I think the highlight other than the women's tour was Robbie's comparison of Lance Armstrong and Nigella Lawson!!
  • Turned out rather a pleasant day eh!
    Top ride chaps and chapesses. Until nxt wk...
    Good luck Luke in the race!
  • Btw.... Nigella or Lance? No brainer
  • edited May 2014
    The race atmosphere in Baldock was far better than in Welwyn. I'll pop up some images up later HERE

A pdf of images.

Glad two Ashwell groups adhered to Rule #9:
    "Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders" as the number of riders from various clubs in the High Street really added to the sense of occasion. Very cool.
  • edited May 2014
    Good ride - enjoyed that..........and of course robbie's "drinking problem" !!!
  • LINK here to a pdf of image from both Baldock & Welwyn.
  • edited May 2014
    Tough ride for me, but I know I'm going to appreciate it in t'Dales next w/e. Best bit was in Baldock High St - great atmosphere. Especially liked the bit when we crossed the finish line of the sprint and got a cheer from the crowd :)

Today's good news: Strava gave me QOM on the Baldock to Bygrave sprint ( - on the front, winter bike, 6 mins 33, yee haa. Good espresso, clearly)

The other news: I lost my QOM on the climb out of Hare St towards Buntingford today - to Peta Mullens, Dani King, Marianne Vos, Katie Archibald, Sharon Laws, Annemiek van Vleuten and Ellen Van Dijk. Think I'm going to have trouble winning that one back!
  • Didn't see you in Baldock High Street en fete, when I was with the Flying Dutchboy, but managed to meet the 9.30am club run and Will....thus reuniting our long lost Orange Fratellos!

Short journey home from Baldock to Hitchin via Quickswood, Clothall and Weston involved ripped rear wheel tyre blow out, two punctures, torrential rain storm and son crashing off bike from huge pothole....oh, the love of cycling.....