Welcome to the forum

TDF STAGE 3 CAMBRIDGE

edited June 2014 in General
A little early ,but are the club organising a club ride to see Stage 3 either in Cambridge or en route ?
I am looking to drive down from Warwickshire the day before, and would like to join you

Comments

• kev

i was just thinking the same, i am sure some one will be going i have just booked the day off work to go.

maybe a nice ride out to finchingfield weather permitting i think thats on the tdf route, i know lots of our guy's are going to geoff's place
    up north.

watch this space

strappy.
  • I've got the day off ... hoping for a club ride, else will go into Cambridge
    Only 2 full weeks to go now :)
  • If weather good, likely me and the missus will make it a picnic in Finchingfield. Will drive with bikes in the back to ride a few miles, as I think the roads could clog up near to the route. I think Finchingfield will be popular.

If weather poor, we'll be going to Cambridge.
  • We are going into Cambridge with the kids who have a day off school. Going to leave the bikes at home and either train in or might even canoe in!
    I think we've also managed to blag some tickets into whatever sort of starting grandstand/ ticketed enclosure is going on on Parkers Piece.

I have a feeling you might have to be very early to get anywhere near Finchingfield. might all depend on the weather.
  • I won't be watching because I'll be riding!
    I've been selected to ride in 'Les Cadets Juniors' which means me and 7 other junior riders from the region will be riding the first and last 30km of the stage, (before the pros come through). So if anyone's watching in the first or last 30km, look out for me!
  • That brilliant Theo. Hope to catch you around the Chesterford area
  • Fantastic Theo well done.
    I've seen the cadets riding when we've watched stages in France in recent years. You'll love it.
    Is yours processional initially but with a competitive race at the finish?
  • I have the day off and was initially thinking of riding into Cambridge, but not sure if having the bike there is a good thing or not...maybe the train is a better idea...
  • Day off also and thinking about going into Cambridge. Maybe we can arrange a CCA blue train on the.... er... train?
  • there was talk of providing secure bike parking at various locations
    cambridge rugby club was mentioned
  • allez Theo…allez, allez, allez.
  • Just had a rather uninformed response from Cambridge.gov saying that the normal bike parks at Park St and Grand Arcade will be open as usual!!

That's a total of 400 spaces. I sincerely hope Cambridge are doing more than this?? The bike park in Harrogate and capacity for 3500 bikes!
  • Found this page which has some info about bike parking (but not much):

https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/parking-for-le-tour
  • Just found this snippet on Cambridge CTC

"Stage 3 of the Tour de France departs from Parker's Piece on Monday 7th July. Details of planned road closures in Cambridge can be found here. We're told that you won't be able to cycle along any of the closed roads, but you can wheel your bike. Additional cycle parking (temporary railings that you can lock to) will be available on Christ's Pieces and Queen's Green."

Doesn't sound like it is secure parking though.

I'm up for a ride from Royston Tim if you are?
  • You do get the feeling that Cambridge isnt quite prepared for the scale of whats about to hit them.
  • Relax! Cambridge is used to lots of bicycles and in any case it's ages away. Isn't it? LOL

I am really impressed how Yorkshire (and in particular The Dales) has totally understood what this event means and it seems to me that they will reap rich rewards from the race visiting the region.
  • Matt / Tim

Karen and I would look to cycle from Royston too.

Peter
  • Ok great, sounds like we have the makings of at least a Royston to Cambridge ride, exact route and timings TBD.
  • We've received the following email about bike parking, if you are interested in the Cambridge Rugby club option post here and i'll let them know numbers

I have been advised today that there will be 3 temporary bike parks arranged by Cambridge City Council – low level barriers which you can padlock your bike to, with stewards on hand throughout. These 3 are at:

Christ's Pieces
    Queen's Green (accessed off Queen's Road, known as The Backs/Queen's Backs)
    New Bit - An area of green park, accessed off Trumpington Road (after the Brookfields Avenue junction and across the road from the Botanic Gardens).

https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/parking-for-le-tour

On this basis can you advise me as soon as possible if you want me to pursue the Cambridge Rugby Club opportunity, and if so, the likely numbers you think from your club who would use this option (Friday at the absolute latest). Needless to say, the 3 City Council sites are all closer to the centre than the Rugby Club.

I look forward to hearing back from you.
  • So Stef just to get some kind of clarity here, is there a ride out to Cambridge on the big day or are people happier going to one of the routes villages and watching from there whilst having some lunch and maybe a pint of ale :-)?
  • edited June 2014
    Mick, I'm up for a ride out to one of the villages

Think Phil K and Rupert are too... and a few others, I'm sure. Anyone care to pick a village? Finchingfield was mentioned, but I don't know it (or the best route from Ashwell)
  • edited June 2014
    Hi Mick,
    Some people are favouring Cambridge, others the villages such as Finchingfield.
    Some talking Cambridge are planning to go by train, others riding in.

Reading above posts sounds like there is appetite for a club run so just a case of getting yourselves all together, and agreeing a start time (and where you are going of course).
    I would start early. Timings:

..........................Caravan.....Race
    Depart Cambridge.....09:50.......11:50
    Great Chesterford.....10:20.......12:20
    Saffron Walden........10:27.......12:27
    Radwinter..............10:39........12:39
    Finchingfield...........10:54........12:54

You want to see the publicity caravan for the full Tour experience - and Theo of course, and you need to allow time to get through road closures and find a spot as it will be quite popular i imagine!

So for Finchingfield you really want be getting there by 10:15 - 10:30 I would have thought.

Over to you guys to sort yourselves out.
    I'm taking the family into Cambridge so wont be joining you.
  • Thanks Stef maybe see you in Cambridge on the the day.
  • Jane I'm definitely up for a ride to a chosen village, just need a time to meet at 3t's and where on.
  • edited June 2014
    If I'm home on monday i'm up for the village!! sounds really nice

"authentic" tour experience!
  • looking at the route i'm thinking great sampford, between radwinter and finchingfield, logic being that there are two sharp turns through there so they will be coming in "quite slow", plus it might not be as popular/busy as finchingfield................and there is a pub!!

Leave the 3Ts at 8am?? ashwell, buntingford, hare street, clavering, newport, debden, thaxted, gt sampford = 33 miles
  • that sounds spot on phil,
    would love to join you, wonder if the family can make their own way to cambridge?!
  • phil

agree with stef spot on. we have a plan lets hope for nice weather count me in

strappy

(were's tim duckett & his beer carring saddle bag when you need him).
  • Great Result
    I will drive down from Warwickshire Sunday night and stay in Lower Bygrave.
    Hope to meet up with you all at the 3Ts at 0800hrs if OK
  • edited June 2014
    Kevin, I'm sure CCA riders will make you feel welcome. I suspect there will be several rides on the that Monday and details will go up on this forum, nearer the time. We should be able to give a rough indication of speeds and distances too, if that'd help you choose between them?

For anyone planning a ride, there's info from Cambs Council on parking for spectators, road closures, changes to bus routes etc here

And villages/spectating spots to choose from here, Stage 3 route