Welcome to the forum

TDF STAGE 3 CAMBRIDGE

2»

Comments

• I would like to ride with the CCA group too. It's a case of "follow the leader" for me as I am not sure of the route to Finchingfield.
  • Exciting that those in either Cambridge or London will be able to cheer on Theo on Monday. Just been sent this from the weekend's Cambridge News;

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Sport/Sport-headlines/Teen-Theo-Doncaster-is-set-for-taste-of-the-Tour-de-France-20140628070355.htm
  • I have got the day off as well, so see you all at the Tuns.
  • So 8am at the tuns?
  • edited July 2014
    Just bringing this back to the top on Phil's behalf:

'looking at the route i'm thinking great sampford, between radwinter and finchingfield, logic being that there are two sharp turns through there so they will be coming in "quite slow", plus it might not be as popular/busy as finchingfield................and there is a pub!!'

8am departure from The Tuns. Route = Ashwell, Buntingford, Hare street, Clavering, Newport, Debden, Thaxted, Gt Sampford = 33 miles

Looks as if we've got Martin H, Nathan, Strappy, me, Phil and perhaps Mick and Kevin. Anybody else? ... I'm guessing it'll be 17-18mph average. Sunshine all the way :)
  • Luke and Myself plus Carmelo if he can get out of bed on time.
    Looking forward to it :-)
  • FANtastic. That'll push our av speed up to 19's then ....
  • I plan to get to Great Sampford with the family, but for obvious reasons won't be leaving from the tuns at 0800.
    I'll stick the bikes on the car and drive as far as possible leaving a manageable ride distance for the kids. If we see you en route all the better, if not hopefully see you all there.
  • Very excited. Looking forward to this.

See you at 8 at the Tuns
  • Hopefully see you there if my legs work!!!
  • have a great day guys....envy you but will watch out for you on telly.
  • thanks again for last week geoff. really going to try and get out for this one
  • Cheers Phil for the route, the navigating and the sunshine.

That was my first time spectating Le Tour and call me a rookie, but I still think the best route home from that pub would have been via a few closed roads, onto the Mall, then Kings Cross train to Baldock (one more beer) and a short spin home :)
  • edited July 2014
    Phil, top choice of Great Sampford, easily accessed and not too crowded - did you see the masses at Saffron Walden!! simply incomprehensible.

We got a pitch just before the first bend, which turned out to be a good spot, very close to the riders.

Glad to say we spotted Theosaurus in his chauffeur driven car too.

Just some screen grabs from the video I shot.

And I'm not sure why (Cam?) but Gerro and the Orica team seemed to recognise our CCA kit for some reason??

• edited July 2014
    Phil

once again i bow to your wisdom of not going to finchingfield as i suggested seeing the village on tv later yesterday i could not belive how many people had crammed in to it.

thanks to all who pulled me along there and back a great day out with perfect weather too.

probably see on the road during the week.

strappy
  • enjoyed that.....great weather, great view of the race, great company and a very enjoyable ride.

great pictures peter
  • Me too!... All worked out beautifully....thanks guys and lady...