Welcome to the forum

UK's longest and toughest ride

edited August 2014 in General
For those in the club that like a good beasting you may be interested in this. Only 100 places available!

http://www.chainreactionhub.com/latest-news/17-events/1489-226-miles-three-routes-18-hours-welcome-to-the-uks-longest-and-toughest-one-day-cyclosportive-the-chain-reaction-cycles-etape-xtrem

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Sounds like a good one... For those of you that like a similar sort of challenge (and don't mind the lack of PR) have a look here:

http://www.aukweb.net/

A fine selection of rides of varied distances, from 50km to 600km.
  • edited August 2014
    Good shout Shaun.. I mean Will!
  • edited August 2014
    Riding the Fred Whitton route this week, fully loaded with the touring bike over two days.
    112 miles and 13,000ft of climbing.
    No hope of managing Hardknott, and Honister may prove a Rubicon too.

Reading this, you may be interested; I am trying to establish whether I can get a possible CCA team entry for the 2015 FW next year. Geoff and I met a man who knows a man who..... repeat, who seemed to think it was possible. I have written to him to see if this is actually the case. Wait-out.
  • lets start with....Ashwell-Wells-Ashwell.
    with a couple of crumps pork pies!
  • edited August 2014
    Today I again rode Hardknott followed by Wyrnose. Yesterday, the other Big Four, though only Honnister really counts.

I weighed everything properly this morning; 86lbs inc' bike.

If you want a challenge, with 112 miles and 13,000ft of climbing, look no further than the Fred Whitton.

Sadly, I stalled two times on Hardknott, my first dismounts on my adventure.... thus far. I rode them all with no dismounts carrying 45lbs some six weeks ago, clearly I am not yet strong enough for 86lbs. Grrrrrrr £@;)&&:-?&((. ,

The moral of the story being you can, should you wish, simply add weight to any given bike, add some hills, forego the 'pay to ride' business model & just ride. Cost? On yer bike!

On my return leg now,2,600 down, just another 2,000 miles to go.
  • Tim, if your total luggage capacity can accommodate more than, say, a single orange you should not attempt to cycle up Hardknott and Wrynose! Anyway, having said that some of me admires you for trying.