Welcome to the forum

Online bike building resource?

edited August 2014 in General
Wondered if anyone knew of a good online resource for bike building? Tips, techniques, torques etc

Thanks

Comments

• I never found anything that was very helpful Matt. The best thing for me was talking to people for advice and researching the components....and good old fashioned trial and error.

It was though, a very good experience and I learned loads.

The best bit of advice I can give is, when you've chosen the component you want, get it, or wait until it's available. You'll only end up wasting your money on a stop gap.
  • The Park Tool video tutorials are very good. My top tip is work out what bottom bracket standard you like best, and choose your frame accordingly. Also. Get The Right Size Frame.

And don't fall in the trap of enjoying bike building so much you never actually ride the thing.
  • Yes Park Tool is pretty good.
    What sort of bike are you building up?
    Generally I find the best order of things tends to be: headset and forks > bb and cranks > stem and bars > derailleurs and brakes > cables > chain and indexing > brake setup.
    then all the little things after that.
    Most torques should be displayed on the part in question.
  • Thanks for the replies...

It's a TT bike. Headset, forks, stem and lower bars already assembled (thankfully).
    Have used Park Tool guides before. Thanks for reminder.

Maybe I'll use this thread if I get stuck. Sounds like you chaps have built a few bikes between you!
  • I'm building two today!
  • Matt, the tech guys at Chain Reaction were very good. I asked them advice about components before I bought & they were always very helpful.