Welcome to the forum

Diss CC Summer RR

edited August 2014 in Road Racing
I think Ant should write this one up seeing as he won it...

Comments

• Thanks Will !

Yes the Diss CC Summer road race but didn't feel much like summer. Windy and a bit chilly then started raining around halfway. Flat circuit so knew it would take a good group working well together to stay away so when a group of 3 went up the road early I was fairly confident it wouldn't stay away. They stayed out there for a couple of laps never too far from sight before being brought back. The next break that stuck went up the road with just under 3 laps to go. As they started getting out of sight I thought it might be a good idea to get something going to chase them and started pressing on a bit on the fast main road section with a Strada Sport rider. Didn't expect just the 2 of us to pull clear but we did and were making good progress before John Peters from CC Luton came across to us just before we made contact with the leading trio. 6 of us had 30 seconds on 3 chasers and 40 seconds on the bunch. The break was not working well with only 2 or 3 of us actually doing decent turns. The chasing trio caught us with 2 laps to go but the poor working continued with riders wanting to sit in and not do a turn and the through and off constantly starting then stopping. I decided it was time to split the group up and try to drop the weaker riders leaving what I thought would be 3 or 4 of the stronger riders. I choose to attack on the slight hill just after completing the penultimate lap with around 8 miles to go. I moved across the road and pushed hard for a minute or 2 before looking around to see what the damage was. Surprisingly I was on my own with a big gap so went into TT mode and got on with it half expecting the stronger riders in the break to work together and bridge over at some point. A couple of miles later I looked around on a long straight and could barely see the riders in the distance behind me so knew I had maybe 30 seconds or more. Onto the main road and the fast tailwind section I knew I had a race winning gap unless they got organised and working well together. I backed off a little knowing that after turning off the main road the last 2 miles were into a strong wind with a little rise before turning off the circuit for another little rise to the finish. Going past the kilo to go sign I looked around and knew I had it. 200 metres to go I cleaned the snot, spit and dirt from my face ready for 2 arms in the air...
  • Tremendous, not surprised though. You must have enjoyed that knowing it was in the bag. First cat yet?
  • 2 or 3 more good results for 1st cat. Unless I stop racing this season so I can win something next year too... ;-)
  • Well done Ant. On the report, that is. Good bike riding too.
  • Exciting stuff and a well deserved result from all your efforts.
  • Top man Ant !!!
    It was only a matter of time..
  • Yes ,it has been coming...great win and great season ...nice one!
  • Outstanding result, well done!!
  • Yee haa ... you star!
  • Great ride Ant! There's nothing cooler than winning solo