Welcome to the forum

Junior Tour of Wales

CCA have two riders competing in the Junior Tour of Wales. Cameron is riding for the Central Team and Theo for the Eastern Team.

The race is a 5 stage event spread over the forthcoming Bank Holiday weekend. The event website is Website

I am the Team Manager for the Eastern Team and have set up a blog which I hope to update as often as I can as the race unfolds. The link is TUMBLR. The blog has a facility for supporters to add comments. To use this click on the three parallel lines in the top left corner and select ‘Supporters Messages’. (I have to approve the message which I can only do each evening, so don’t expect to see something straight away).

This is a big event in the Junior calendar and a prestigious one too. Previous winners include Erick Rowsell, Alex Dowsett, Dan Martin and Charly Wegelius. David Miller, Geraint Thomas, Peter Kennaugh and Kristian House have all come second and a certain Anthony Morris finished 4th one year!

Daniel

Comments

• Good luck guys. Will be keeping an eye on the blog over the weekend
  • Yes, good luck lads, will follow with great interest. Have fun as DS Daniel!

Thats also a great list of previous winners and hadnt realised Mr Morris was up there with those names! Class will out!
  • All the best to riders, manager and official photographer! Best of luck!
  • Ant came fourth years ago. Think he said 1974?
  • Only 4 riders that year and they ran it as a time trial...
  • wish Cam and Theo all the best from me Daniel. I'll have my fingers crossed for them.
  • Today went well! News + pics on the blog - link above.
  • edited August 2014
    Stage 5 started gradually with a slightly different neutralized zone than advertised due to road works on the Heads of the Valley Road.

A few riders got away from the main bunch, but never for very long. However by the high moorland section of Cefn yr Henriw (where the race joins the A470 for the long descent towards Brecon) a group of 4 comprising Sean Noon, Oli Maxwell, Scott Auld and Gabriel Evans had a gap of about 1 minute on the main bunch. Later this group was joined by another three riders (James Shaw, Dan Gardner and Josey Weik) by the second KOM point at Bwlch, south of Brecon.

The main bunch was moving with some pace as it approached Abergavenny, the Chief Commissaire noting 60 kph.

Close to Abergavenny some riders tried to bridge across to the leaders. Two of which were Eddie Dunbar and Stephen Williams. This move was not only successful but exquisitely timed as both Dunbar and Williams started the signature climb of the stage, Tumble Mountain, with the leaders.

By all accounts Eddie Dunbar rode in a league of his own to take the stage win and also overall victory of the whole tour. Gardner and Williams fought for 2nd and 3rd place with the Welshman Williams getting the better of Gardner.

The Eastern Region riders admirably dealt with the considerable challenges of long high speed descents and excruciating climbs. They finished close together mid field. Our leading rider, Matt Clements, retained is 27th overall position in the final General Classification despite suffering from a crash in stage 4. Lewis Stevens finished 43rd and Chris Jackson 46th.

Sadly our last minute secondment George Evans was prevented from racing due to injuries sustained in Stage 4. I understand he is sore and stiff, but not seriously injured. The Eastern Region Junior Team is very grateful for his willingness to ride with us and we thank him for his excellent riding. Get better soon George!

Cameron Woolsey (Central Region) was also not riding today after a different crash in stage 4. His road rash was so severe that after completing the course he was taken to hospital. The walking wounded came to support the race today though, and we are all encourage to see him. Best wishes to Cameron for a speedy recovery.

As Team Manager I am enormously proud of our team; they are a credit to themselves, their own clubs and most of all to the Eastern Region. A 3rd place in Stage 4, an individual position of 27th and overall a Team position of 11th is a magnificent achievement. I would also like to thank their support team who worked effectively, tirelessly and with good humour to support the lads. Theo Doncaster deserves special mention in this respect as he became the Team Mechanic after being prevented from competing in the race due to illness.

Finally I would like to thank our supports NUUN and Nathaniel Rosa Photography (excellent work on show in the tumblr blog) and for financial support from Ryland Saddlers and BC Eastern Region.

Daniel Doncaster
    Eastern Region Junior Team Manager for the Junior Tour of Wales
  • Great to read about your exploits - chapeau and mend well and quickly!
  • echo that. Great report Daniel. Sorry Theo not well enough to ride and hope injuries of all especially the road rash (that is a seriously unpleasant injury) heal soon.
    Congratulations on taking on the management of the Eastern Juniors Daniel. The work load is quite an undertaking and I know that with the attention to detail you give this is a major committment on your part.
  • edited August 2014
    Nice one Daniel. Have enjoyed reading the report and pics - well done to all.
  • well done all and hope the injured recover quickly.
    thanks Daniel/Nathaniel for taking the time to report, its been great reading / seeing pics as the event happens.
  • Just put together a gallery of the hilights

JTW 2014 HILIGHTS and from there you can click through to the individual stages.

Here's Lewis, one of our guys.

Lewis Stevens Eastern Region Junior Tour of Wales 2014
  • Daniel, looking forward to catching up and hearing more about it. What a great thing and well done to all involved. Real shame that Theo couldnt ride, but hey ho, theres always the 3 peaks!

Nat, those pics are amazing!