Welcome to the forum

Club Cyclo-Cross Race at Knights Templar - 4th October

edited August 2014 in Cyclocross/Offroad
Hi all,

Our Cyclo-cross promotion at Knights Templar will be on Saturday 4th October.

This year the event is not a league race. Instead we will have the club cyclo-cross championships. There will be open races for Under 10s and Under 12s and Youth riders - best CCA performances for the club titles. There will be a CCA only race for members aged 16+. We want everyone in the club with an off-road bike of some sort to come and take part. The event will finish with an open race for those aged 16+ which has to be entered on-line.

Everyone who wants to take part will need to help with the event, whether it's signing on, building the course, marshaling the other races or taking the course down. We will also need a catering team.

The more helpers we have the easier it will be to put on the event.

Mark.

Comments

• Just bringing this back to the top - can you sticky please Martin.

Can those who can help out please start signing up.

Thanks,
    Mark.
  • Put me down for course building and marshaling Mark. Will try to bring cake too.

Is the gap between the CCA race and the Open race likely to be long enough to allow people to enter both?
  • Hi Mark,
    I'm also happy to course build and marshal. I'll try to bake a cake.

Link to the on-line entry HERE

Daniel
  • Put me down to help for the whole day again,

Mark B
  • edited September 2014
    Happy to help out for all the time that I'm not racing, so put my name down where ever I am needed. Dad can also help out all day.

Bryn
  • Hi, happy to help as well.
    Jez
  • I can help out. Paul Proctor.
  • i can help out too.
  • Add me to the helpers list Mark.

Cheers
    Scott.
  • Thanks all so far.

There is no advance entry for the CCA 16+ race. It will be entry on the day and you will need to have helped out in some way. The race will be 40 minutes.

That is followed by the youth race so there will be time to recover if you want to enter the Open event which is advance entry only.

Mark.
  • Sam and I will be there and happy to help

Peter
  • The Fields will be there all day. Might manage a cake from my FT lesson

Stuart
  • Happy to help here - count me in.
  • Jez,

Can you do First Aid?

Thanks,
    Mark.
  • Yes, no problem,
  • Most roles covered ok, but I still need a catering team - any volunteers?

Thanks,
    Mark.
  • Mark
    I am ok to set up the course. Have lots going on that day but would like to ride the club event and for girls to ride the under 10 event. Can you give me an idea of the race start times to coordinate my day withmy other commitments.
    Cheers
  • Mark,

We're also happy to help.

Lindsey
  • Hi all,

See you at 8am tomorrow if poss. Plenty of work to set out the course. There will be time for you to pre-ride the course. If necessary we will start the club race a little bit later or have a neutralised first lap.

Mark.
  • All of my laps are neutralised... :-)
  • What a great day! Thank you to Mark and all the team setting up, running, administering and clearing up the CCA Cyclocross event today in Baldock. Results are here.

The senior club championship which was a race in two parts. Bryn and John battling out who would become the 2014 club champion miles ahead of the mortals. Bryn got the better of John in this tactical chess game.

Great to see a good turn out in the women's race too (Linda, we need you in the league).

I will leave it to the Youth to describe their races.

John and I stayed on for the open race after lunch and the rain meant that the course was completely different; pretty slippery! I have to say I enjoyed both the dry and wet edition.
  • Thanks Mark for organising a great event. Also thank you to everyone else who was involved in planning or running the day. I think we did CCA proud.

The CCA only race was great fun to be a part of. Good to see some new faces giving cross a try. I thoroughly enjoyed the battle with John, although it got strangely tactical once we had a gap on 3rd place and neither of us particularly wanted to work into the wind too much. As much as anything else, I think it was decided on the slippery corners as the rain intensified.

Here are a few photos Dad took, none of them are that great (no offence Dad) but I do like the ones of the blue starting grid:

CCA1
    How to get on the front row of the grid: don't invite anyone else to the race. Simple. (I particularly love Ian's grin...?)

CCA CX 2
    Within fractions of a second, Daniel adopts his standard race face.

• Nice one Bryn.

I hope you didn't come to any injury in our little tumble - I have a chainring imprint on the side of my skinsuit - not sure if mine or yours :) I just about kept up with you with the one brake, but then you pulled out a lead while I was changing bikes, and I had another crash trying too hard to pull you back.

Thanks to Mark for organizing, and all the helpers for erm, helping. Good day.
  • First and second place looked like a good battle. I had the same feeling chasing third when we hit the wind and was pleased to let first Ian ( ok there was no real letting Ian do anything really) and then Tim slip past me into third and fourth place. But then it all got a bit hard clawing them back. Ian then came back to us ( apparently he was nursing a collarbone fracture but I put it down to my prowess as a cross rider. One can but dream).
    Tim kept his position in third after my first two laps or so holding that third podium position. My nemesis Stuart was on my tail as usual so I neutralised the chase and he kindly obliged doing a good turn on the front to put Tim back in reach. but then the three peaks knocked Stuart a bit and I followed Tim in fourth place. Well that was it really. Tim kept his lead and slightly increased it at the end with my final spurt hampered by a poor assent of the mound. Nathanial, out of respect for his elders let me keep fourth but was making headway until the last half of the final lap. So that is third, fourth and fith.
    What happened behind us?
    brn and John, excellent riding.
    Mark and all who helped, many thanks for a superb event. Good turn out for the club cross. More next year though. A mention must go to James who turned up and rode in trainers. Respect.
    Vincent
  • Thanks to everyone who helped put up the course, judged, marshalled, made cakes and packed away. A glowing report from the Commissaires and no bikes went missing at the end.

Mark.
  • So thats what the front of the grid looks like! Thanks Mark for an enjoyable day and well done Bryn. I hope all the club riders who tried something new found it fun.

I was quite enjoying the rain by the end and the changing nature of the course was interesting. Also enjoyed watching the open event on the tricky off camber left hander, lots of sliding around on the floor there!

Like the photos too, thanks.
  • Oh, and i found a pair of black Bontrager mitts on my car windscreen. Anyones?
  • Hi Tim I put them there as they were by your door so I assumed they were yours
  • I know that some of you are not on Facebook, but for those who are on easterncross group read the feedback! this is why it's worth while... ;-)

Shelton
  • Hi Shelton

For those of us not on FB can you put some of it on here?