Welcome to the forum

Ashwell - Wells - Ashwell

2»

Comments

• edited September 2014
    There's nothing from Ely until Great Massingham. Unless you grab an onion from one of the fields. That's like 40-50 miles of nowt.

Even then: it's just a post office at Great Massingham. There's a cracking looking pub too. Puddled Duck. As approved by Wills n' Kate.

Several miles thereafter, there's a shoppe in most of the little villages until Wells, every few miles. I can recall two anyway.

Take a bit of chalk and write 'cheeky' [Certificate PG] yet motivational remarks to inspire us following behind as we haul up those Norfolk cols!
  • I'm up for a beer in Ashwell after, if it works out. 07977 652 247
  • The chip shops in Wells sell bottles of water, its a bit pricey, but best to fill up anyway.
  • Pub a deffo after!
  • Will also come over for a beer. Let me know when you're getting near Ashwell...
  • Wish I never suggested a badge for cycling home. I should have known there would be some crazy ones that would go for it. Now I won't have the pleasure of your company on the ride. Poor show.
    Have friends coming over in the evening so won't make it to the pub unfortunately. Have a good one.
    V
  • Top team effort chaps! Must say... even tho it's pretty flat it still takes some doing! Nice to have a few shandies in the tons. Still... it didn't stop me waking up with cramp in the night! Obviously not enough!!! So 191miles needs even more post ride hydration!
  • edited September 2014
    33 out. Everyone rode really well and thanks to all for the discipline shown on the major roads. The lanes were nice and quiet and doing this Classic on the first Friday of sept is definitely the best time in the hinterland between summer hols and back to school. Cars were very considerate and we rode as one peleton after Ely without issue.

Just two punctures all the way and one snapped gear cable. Well done Paul for riding with an improv single speed thereafter. The weather was great though the headwind was stronger than I expected. We averaged around 16.5mph in total.

It was not a great advert for garmins. A few detoured down the A10 and missed Ten Mile Bank. I think next year a good few will know the route from memory. Definitely the best way.

It was good to see the fellas going there and back near Holkham. And nice they warned the chippy we were coming and got the haddock on. I cycled to the beach, got some souvenir sand and would have had a quick dip if we had more time. As it was, we made great time and most went on the 5:37pm train. The Fenman pub was very accommodating and the train station staff kind. I've got badges for those who got the 5:37 train.

Several us ended up at the Tuns to greet the others riding back. That was nice. They looked toasted: let's not underestimate Norfolk. It does roll a fair bit. Respect due for that supreme effort.

Nice how everyone looked out for others. It got stretched at times. Not least that draggy hill outta 'S. Creake' (no paddle). But the elastic never snapped.

There was talk of a season-starting Classic to bookend this ending one. I like the sound of that and happy to load up the bag with pork pies for that. I think vedett makes a better lunchtime ale than duvel which did feel a bit heavy, if refreshing.

See you at the Three Tuns, Friday 4th Sept 2015, 8am for this ride again. Tailwind this time.
  • Excellent fun, thanks for easing the pace back for me towards the end. I struggled to sleep when I got home, must have needed more hydration at the tuns as well.
  • Brilliant ride, huge amounts of fun. There's something very different about getting a couple of hundred miles in your legs at a steady pace than any other sort of riding. It's exhausting in a really good way. For some reason my protein shake has given me a pretty big hangover. Seem to be producing an impressive tailwind...
  • Hats off to you guys that did the Ashwell - Wells - Ashwell 191...!
  • Well done guys especially Robbie just coming back from Ireland.
  • edited September 2014
    Thanks guys for a memorable day out. I don't call 17mph for that distance steady but then I wasn't jet propelled!

Martin and I trying to keep up with the speed-eating of Robbie and Will

A very welcome stop at Caffe Nero in Ely on the way back with just a couple of hours in the saddle to go out of fractionally over 11.

• huge respect, well done boys. you were looking good when you passed me wheezing and creaking up that tiny hill near holkham.
  • that's because we were going down it... you should have seen us go up the other side...
  • Hats off to you guys,and and 100% turn out for a pint on your return. Shame a few more on the shorter(!) ride didn't go for post ride
    drink in KL.

Good to see Robbie still going strong on the shots at last orders ;-)
  • If only I had realised Paul I would have been pleased to have had a post ride pint and debrief.

When we arrived at KL, I just thought everyone was piling for the train home.

I'll know for next time hey...
  • From the point of view of getting 32 riders on the train back, it's probably best that everyone didn't go to the pub and then try to get on the same train.
    Mind you, I do enjoy a couple of malted recovery drinks after a day in the saddle and wasn't in a rush. Also, you get your all important badge if you go to the pub.