Welcome to the forum

Building Elsie

edited September 2014 in General
I am sure there are a few Ashwell members who are familiar with Elsie. Originally hand made by Arthur Caygill Cycles for Richard Glover, she was then in MC's possession before coming my way earlier this year.

I'm not really sure that my legs are worthy of such a machine just yet, but I hope to build up my speed over the coming winter and give her a good run next year.

I have never built a bike before and after some deliberation of 'shall I just drop it off at Trisports' or 'no, let's have a crack at it' , I opted for the latter.
Having purchased all necessary ancillaries (shifters, derailleurs, crank, cassette, saddle, brakes, wheels, aerobars) I then proceeded to put them all in a box in the garage and shut the door!

Originally planning to have Elsie ready for the last club 10 of the year, various things cropping up meant that I just would not have enough time. JMac then posted up about the N&DCA 10 on the 20th September.... the race was on... I had six weeks!

Anyway, below are a few pics of the build. I literally put the bar tape on the aerobars this afternoon after a quick trip to Trisports for some matching yellow Bontrager tape (Nathanial, I think that was you in the shop!)

Tomorrow is the road test, so fingers crossed all goes well. Assuming it does, Elsie will be lining up for the 10 on Saturday.

Comments

• Brilliant! that looks like a great build Matt. Looking forward to seeing Elsie back in action on Saturday.
  • tasty looking machine Matt.........go fast.
  • Love the bike Matt

saw this, better get some!

Tech fans - Team Sky will be using a revolutionary Muc-Off chain wax at the Team Time Trial World Championships on Sunday which could reduce chain friction by up to 80%. Learn all about it at http://po.st/C4ChainWax
  • Well done Matt, good job and a real classy look :)
  • You've done a great job. What a lovely ride, full of individual character. You're gonna need to get lower though!

BRING ON SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • The only thing that will be low is my time, KS!
  • edited September 2014
    Stiggers.........Yes, it's about aero, but don't forget it's also about delivering power. Unless one has trained in ultimate aero position from youth it is not possible to get that low without a loss of power. Often a slightly more open position enables you to deliver more power. Just a thought guys.
  • haha Matt, you're a comedy genius!!

Hear what you're saying Geoff, I'm trying to perfect the position for comfort first and foremost.........almost there!!
  • good luck all you testers.