Welcome to the forum

Club Hill Climbs

edited September 2014 in Time Trial
Folks,
Some dates for the diary…

The Interclub HC is promoted by IRC. Details …The 5th and last event in the Inter-Club series is the Hill Climb promoted in 2014 by the Icknield Road Club using Moleskin Hill (i.e. hill between Sharpenhoe and Streatley) on Sunday October 5th starting at 10 30 am, entries for this event only to Peter Tasker, 01582 661077 or peter.tasker916@btinternet.com.

We won this round of the IC series last year so would be good to have a good turnout.

Our club hill climb will be on Sunday 12th Oct and will probably be much the same as last year, i haven't got round to sorting anything out yet.

More details to follow.

Comments

• Is Moleskin Hill different from Sharpenhoe Clappers that was used last year Tim?
  • No, same thing.
  • Might do the Sharpenhoe IC HC this year. The CCA double whammy last year blew my legs off.
  • I want to represent the club at the interclub on 5th October.

Just to clarify that members who want to ride should contact the organiser directly rather than us sending a compilation of names.

Sorry for question but I'm new to the club (or nearly new).
  • Usually we just enter these inter club things throught the BRCC online widget but in this case it looks like its probably best to drop Peter Tasker from IRC an email using the address at the top of the thread.
  • Good luck guys, I'm gutted I can't do it this year.
  • Thanks Theo. Won't be the same without you.

Tim, I have emailed Peter Tasker, but haven't heard back - is this the best way to enter? It would be a shame if half of CCA didn't get a ride on a technicality...
  • Yeah, as far as i know. If you want to be double sure email Peter Tasker and fill out the BRCC widget as well.

Theo, I'm sure the cote de Weston Hills can't be that much of a loss, I'm guessing you can probably find almost as good a hill climb in Sheffield!
  • Sorry but I'm going to ride the St Neots Sportive instead on 5th now. Good luck to all CCA riders - really enjoyed watching the even last year - hope it's a good day for all.
  • Only four CCA riders have entered.
    Jane, Justin, John and a non J, me.
  • Ok, so the club hill climb is this Sunday, the 12th, starting at 9.30.

Format is the same as last year, so 2 hills best aggregate time wins. First hill is Chalk Hill out of Baldock and second hill is Coombe Hill off the 505. First hill starts at 9.30, second hill about 10.30 or when we all get over there.

Signing on will be from 9.00 at the start of the first hill. No need to pre enter just turn up and sign on like at the club 10's. Cost is £3 for club members, £4 for non club.

Space is a bit tight at the start so it would be best if everyone rides over to the start rather than drive. Also lets please respect the locals and keep the noise down and keep out of the road.
    When riding over to the second hill please approach from the top and dont ride along the 505.

See you there.
  • Oh, and Tom Trimble currently holds the prestigious wooden trophy and set club records on both hills last year....2.15 for Baldock and 4.37 for Coombe.
  • Is there going to be a group heading over to chalk hill from Ashwell? If not then where exactly is chalk hill?
  • It leads to hatch lane, off of London road in Baldock to Weston. The steep bit. You'll recognise it when you get there. I hope you've applied for your racing licence for next season, Tom...
  • Just before the George iv pub.
  • edited October 2014
    Exit Baldock going out towards the dual carriageway, Tescos on your R, and behind you, out towards the A1(M) southbound junction & Letchworth. As the homes finish on the left, in the 40mph zone but prior to the George pub, that's where the first hill climb begins, on your L.

Coombe Hill is best approached I'd have thought by returning back down Chalk Hill, turn R & then at Tescos, L & ride through Baldock High Street, take the R at the mini roundabout, & 200m further on, at the lights, straight across. 1 mile from the lights, straight on at the two small roundabouts flanking the dual carriageway, heading towards Wallington. Through Wallingtoon, a dog-leg L and immediate R takes you up the other side into Sandon. Through the village to the pond & church where you turn L and then after 100m turn R towards Kelshall. At the T junction some 2 miles from Sandon, L and Coombe Hill is just ahead.

Hope this helps!
  • Thanks all, managed to locate chalk hill from your sterling directions. Did a practice run of Coombe rd on this morning's ride, i reckon sunday will be pretty painful... Looking forward too it!

Will, I see you are a man of your word...
  • Any thoughts on a good fixed gear ratio for Chalk Hill?
  • A little one
  • After yesterday's trail ride up Chalk Hill, on thighs that were, in hindsight, less than fully warmed through, resulting in a reemergence of an old quad' injury, I will, on Sunday, bring my cameras along and get one reasonable shot per rider per hill climb which will then be available to download in two different sized jpegs on Sunday evening from a Dropbox folder here on this thread.

The club can of course use any resultant image(s) for PR usage as required thereafter.
  • Sorry you cant ride Tim, but the photos would be great!

Martin, tricky hills for fixed and different gear needed for each. Reckon id go about 65 GI on Chalk hill and 72 GI on coombe, but im only guessing dont think ive ridden up either on fixed.

See you all in the morning but it looks like it might be foggy. dont take risks riding over and fingers crossed for the event!
  • Cheers Tim. Ah... I've got 74 and I did a recce of Chalk Hill on it this afternoon, suffice to say I'm taking the rack of me Le Mond now instead!

Fingers crossed the fog doesn't show up.
  • Thanks, everyone, for a very interesting morning! I particularly appreciated the cowbell ringers and horn tooters. I must try to compensate my lack of climbing ability with my next bike. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good hill climbing bike?
    Susan
  • I was at the catford hill climb this morning

interesting thing to note: the winner was running 40psi
    2 parts were 1:4 though, so I guess grip was a lot more important over there than here but still quite interesting! also a lot of people using fixed gear
  • A massive thanks to all the helpers again, Tim, James and Finn. I suppose I enjoyed it (afterwards).
  • After this morning, Susan, I would recommend a bike with a motor :)
    Thanks Tim and everyone who assured me it was not about winning, but taking part. Hence I did it slowly, just to enjoy taking part longer than everyone else.
  • Interesting observation Nat. Which tubs was the rider using?
  • daniel
    not sure if this means anything to you?

I wasn't really paying attention but I overheard him saying he used "little glue". also just noticed he has no rear brake, makes sense I suppose! (he was also riding fixed gear)
  • Nice. Strip the front brake, leave Garmin at home and hell, let's go crazy next year and lose the helmet too
    ... that'd get me under 6mins on Coombe Lane, for sure
    Did somebody mention tubs?