Welcome to the forum

Winter Tyres

edited October 2014 in General
Looking to get the collective wisdom of the club before I invest in a set of Winter tyres. Will probably do some sections of the Greenway as part of my commute but mostly riding in the lanes.

My default setting is Continental Grand Prix 4 Season.

Any advice or recommendations welcomed.

Comments

• Im liking the Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech (has toughened sidewalls) in a 25 which you can get for less than £20.

Its nothing like as light and racy as GP 4 seasons but might be more dependable on the Greenway. Good solid winter tyre and more grippy than gatorskins which i found too slippy in the wet.
  • I second what Tim says, I'm starting to move away from gatorskins for the grip issues. For a slightly cheaper option the Vittoria Zaffiro Pro are £11 on Ribble. I have just got them for the winter and the grip looks good to me!
  • They all go bang at some point - so make sure they're easy to get on and off with cold, wet hands like the Bontrager hard case range - now rebranded as AW [All Weather?].

http://www.bontrager.com/products/components/tires

As recently vouched for on Monday with a front and back double-pop at Stondon in the hissing rain.
  • Bontrager all weather RXL tyres are by far the best winter tyres I've used. Great grip and good puncture proofing. The Vittoria rubinos are good, just a little bit slippy... Zaffiros? They're probably 11 quid for a reason, good luck with them, Luke!
  • edited October 2014
    I feel very confident with my own Vittoria tyres, though mine are 38's!
    eBay purchase, 2nd hand and I have put on 4000 miles since then, so I feel confident in recommending them.
  • edited October 2014
    Gatorskin? More like 'skaterskin'. Rubbish tyres.

I think Conti GP 4 season are great tyres. However bad news if you slash the side walls on some rough track as they're not cheap.

Add some latex inner tubes and they will roll nicely and are supposed to give better puncture resistance. I personally have only some miles to back up this claim, but tyres with latex tubes did better at Hog Hill during the winter (flint hot spot).
  • Schwalbe durano plus, super strong, durable, grippy.
    I've done really rough gravel sections on them and never punctured.
  • have a gander at these...
  • FDFD
    edited October 2014
    I ride 25mm Conti 4 seasons on both my winter and summer bikes. Work great for me. Easy to get on and off, spare folds up well, pretty durable, run well, light, but pricey (I buy them in bulk when on Wiggle offer). The P fairy visits less often compared to almost every ride when I was using gatorskins, Michelin Pros and a whole host of other tyres I've tried. Then again, I'm 100 kilos so need decent protection, especially on rear wheel - I used to snap drive side spokes for fun as well, even 36H hand built double butted! Not sure about for the Ronde van Letchworth though - I have Challenge Grifos for that on my Cotic X with pre-filled Slime road tubes.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions which have helped create a short list. Must admit the Bontrager AW3 and Vittoria Rubino Tech Pro look like great value options given current discounts available.

Regarding Gatorskins - had a nervous ride home tonight in the rain. You can feel them slip underneath you - will be coming off ASAP!
  • Another vote here for Conti Grand Prix 4 seasons. On my second set now - bombproof !
  • Conti 4 seasons FTW. I use them and when I used to do a long commute to and from cambridge in all weathers and on muddy, flinty lanes, I never once had a puncture. Worth every penny and they are occasionally on offer!
  • It being a winter hack, do you need 23/25?

Why not sacrifice some speed, or the perception of "some speed' and buy a slightly wider tyre, perhaps a 30 (?) just for the extra confidence it brings with it, which after all is a valuable asset on winter roads?

My front is wider than the rear, a practise you oft' see in mtn bike circles.

Just a thought.
  • Just bought 2 pairs of Cont 4S (28s and 25s) for the two bikes I intend to use over Winter. Wiggle offering 40% off was too good to resist.
  • i would second theo...bike radar seem to like it i use to ride ride 4 seasons but kept slitting the side wall