Welcome to the forum

WattBike

edited October 2014 in General
I currently have a turbo trainer in the garage but my wife worries that the noise might upset the neighbours so I fear my winter training will be impacted.
I am thinking about a WattBike.
Does anyone own one so I can test out noise levels before I hire/buy?
Alternatively are there any gyms in Baldock or Letchworth that have a WattBike?
Or any other (helpful) suggestions?
Regards

Michael Martin

Comments

• hi martin. Mark Wyer has access to some watt bikes care of british cycling and organises sessions so perhaps he can help...also, I think Skelders has/had one so worth asking.
  • Craig Dyce also has one.
  • If your near Cambridge we have one at my rowing club, you could try. Not sure if they are any quieter than a turbo, and they get noisy if they need a service.
  • Rollers? much quieter, and the small barrel ones offer surprisingly high resistance on higher gears.
  • Going to London soon? My gym has a row of Wattbikes and you can turn up as a non-member for £10. Marshall Street Leisure Centre.

They feel pretty good. I wouldn't say they were quiet though. They are big.
  • Michael,

I have access to a few wattbikes and have used them for the past couple of years. They are an excellent piece of kit, but the noise level won't be much different to a turbo. It's similar to a concept 2 rowing machine in noise level, due to the air resistance. If it's the vibration of the turbo that is the issue it could help, but they are by no means quiet.

On a slightly separate note, I have also found them to become inaccurate over time if not maintained. I have different 20min test readings of up to 40 watts amongst 6 different Wattbikes. I have now reverted back to the turbo with power meter for most sessions

Somebody I know in a similar predicament purchased an Elite Muin (turbo based on the cassette not wheel). The noise level was very impressive, far less than a Wattbike, particularly for high power efforts.

Hope this helps.
  • I can recommend the Planet-X resistance rollers, like Tim says but with a magnet in the rear roller that makes it feel like a good climb, and you get the added bonus of working the core muscles to maintain balance

Produce here: Planet-X Resistance Rollers (and currently £160)
  • Thank you everyone for your comments.

I think it will be a no to the Wattbike due to noise.

I think the ideal solution is either rollers or a cassette based turbo plus possibly a power meter

If anyone feels this the wrong solution please say

Michael
  • Haven't ridden one, but the Pro Form TdF is supposed to be almost silent
  • What sort of turbo do you have? Fan based ones are the loudest by far, Magnetic and fluid are much quieter.
  • I find that sitting with your feet up reading a book is much quieter than a turbo/rollers/wattbike...