Welcome to the forum

Velodrome 20th dec - bikes etc

edited December 2014 in General
If you are hiring a bike and/or shoes please post below and specify the size you need.

Below is their guide to bike sizing. And please read their comments on pedals/cleats below to see if you need to hire shoes - you can bring your own shoes/cleats but not your own pedals. They use LOOK KEO pedals.
Bike hire costs £10 per person, and shoe hire £6 per person. You can also hire helmets though I assume everyone will bring their own.

"Shoes: You can wear normal trainers for track sessions or if you wish to bring your own cleats we use Look Keo pedals so Look Keo cleats can be worn. Please note that other makes are not necessarily compatible – even if they say that they are. You may not bring your own pedals for use on our hire bikes."

RIDER HEIGHT Frame Size
145-159 43
150-169 46
161-168 49
169-175 52
176-185 55
186-193 58
194+ 61

Comments

• if you are bringing your own bike then note their regulations, although we've never had any problems in the past

https://ebookings.leevalleypark.org.uk/docs/velopark-terms.pdf

Velodrome track bikes
    - a fixed wheel drivetrain
    - 165mm or 170mm cranks with 280mm (11”) or greater bottom bracket height (measured from floor to centre of bottom bracket) - the frame must not have braze-ons or extra fittings
    - the frame must have track ends
    - tyres/tubulars must be 21-25mm wide and must not have coloured tread
    - no Michelin tyres/tubulars or other dual compounds are permitted
    - tyres/tubulars must be correctly inflated to the manufacturer’s specifications
    - tubulars must be correctly glued and not taped
    - the wheels must be spoked (not disc) for all taster and accreditation sessions
    - the handlebars must be drop bars and have bar tape/grips and bar-ends (aerobars are permitted only in specific sessions)
    - brake levers or callipers must not be fitted
    - spare sprockets must not be fitted to double sided hubs
    - quick release wheel axles are not permitted
    - wheel axles should not extend beyond the track nuts
    - the chain tension should be tight enough to avoid derailing but not so tight it ‘binds’ the drivetrain
  • Bike: size 52
    Shoes: size 44

thanks!
    Tim
  • Bike: size 46
    Shoes: size 41

Vicky
  • Bike: size 55
  • Bike: size 61
  • Bike only, please ... size 46 ... feeling ever so slightly inadequate next to TC !
  • Bike: Size 55 please.
  • Bike - size 55 please.
  • You sure Jane? Just that you fopund the Cougar road bike small. That was a 50cm. Normal rule for track bikes is one size less than your road bike...so a 56 would be a 54 and so on. MY guess is that you riode a 53/54 so 51/52cm would be about right. Sorry if out of turn. Just don't want you to be trying to ride a bike too small.
  • Jenny: frame size 49, shoe size 38
    Dave: frame size 55, shoe size 43
    Thanks!
  • edited December 2014
    Tim Fisher

bike: 55

Edit - just read Geoff's remarks. I ride a 54 road bike, though Trek's own sizing chart suggests a 56. Happy to take whatever you suggest.
  • Tim........ You are taller than me. I ride 54/55 and am comfortable with 56 as I have long legs. I would have thought you to be a 56 at the very least. 55 will be fine for you. You rode my 56 Roberts happily enough.
  • Considering bringing my own bike - it fulfills the criteria above - just want to check the gearing.
    The bike is running a 44x14.... Would an 82" gear be OK or undergeared for the session?

JRVM
  • Hi Jamie,

You might find that a tad undergeared

Just remember your vinegar for the tyres
  • edited December 2014
    Vinegar? You being serious! Is that to ensure the rubber is clean and free from grit?

May drop a 13 sprocket on that would take me up to 89" - or I could just spin it out!
  • edited December 2014
    Jamie..if it's your first session then 82 will be fine. Most trackies use this or close for warm up. Bring 13 sprocket and I'll swap it over for you on the day.
    You will spin a bit faster than most, but it's more responsive and that is what you need for learning. White vinegar or meths would also do...some use surgical spirit, but vinegar will not harm the tyre and gets any oil/grease/dirt off the tyre.
  • James Creaven: 49 please. Own shoes.
  • Hi Geoff,

Just a bike for me. Normally sit between a 54 and 56 so think the 55 might work for me.
  • Bike Size : 52
    Shoe Size : 44

Thanks
    Stuart
  • Bike size 46 for me pls
  • bike size 55
    shoes 44
  • My mate Peter will be coming along - have added him to the list on doodle poll.

He will need a 56cm bike and size 12 shoes
  • I've signed up on the doodle poll, it said there was 27 participants so I hope that's ok and there's a space.

Bike size 55

I have shoes which have Keo type cleats, hopefully they will work!

Thanks

David
  • Nice one Dave, yes keo cleats are fine. you do know there wont be much mud?
  • No mud and no bikes to clean after!

They're not actually Keo cleats but Keo compatible. If anyone has any spare Keo cleats I could borrow in case they don't work that would be great.