Welcome to the forum

Sat 3 Jan New Year 100 - Paleo v Carbs

edited December 2014 in Club runs
Paleo versus Carbs 100

Sergeant Pain Skeen is testing his Paleo theory and riding 100m without the intake of carbs.... Just burning body fat.
Sounds like it might be fun so I'm in too... we'll probably ride the GD100 so others can turn off for shorter 40/60/70/90

Is this madness or a new way for all?

Comments

• The GD100 on the 3rd sounds like a good plan. I'll be playing for the "carbs" team!
  • edited December 2014
    What's the food intake prior to the ride?

The best source of energy is and has always been fat, most notably from animal sources. Ask Ranulf Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes, he lost out to the Norwegians on at least one race due to his feeding regime not including enough fat. However, their fat intake was quite extreme.

Maybe I'll bring along my scales and do a weigh-in before we leave, as they do with jockeys and F1 drivers, and measure body weight, water content, muscle mass and fat content- as a before / after set of readings?
  • Brekkie for me... 4 egg omelette with bacon! Loadsa coffee...
    Ont bike I'll have bail out bars etc
  • Good for you Robbbie. Fry your omelette in at least 1 tablesoon of extra virgin coconut butter and you'll be flying. And if you really want to kick some ass wash it down with a "bulletproof" coffee and a green juice to oxygenate the blood. You'll fly. Just Google bullet proof coffee - grass fed butter blended with the coffee. When the ride is done, celebrate with beer and chips....oh wait.... that's not scientifically proven. But well deserved ;)
  • edited December 2014
    The best breakfasts away from Home Are, in reverse order: Travel Lodge (£6:50 All you can possibly eat and still retain some dignity), Toby Jug, (£3.99, again, all you can shovel down y'er gullet, & hang the dignity).

Other Greasy Spoon caff's are available. Cheapest Monster Breakfasts costs about £5:50 in a few caff's around Britain. Details on application.

Some hostels do have similar deals, so if it's offered at the time of booking, it can be worthy of consideration.

Or last night's 12 inch pizza that never did get scoffed. Porridge for me. On top of and after the pizza, obviously. There is no such thing as, "Too much for breakfast".
  • Btw... This ride is worth 2 festive fifties if you're going for the 500m badge.
  • STARTS 8AM SATURDAY 3 JAN
    GD 100 ROUTE

COUNTS AS A FESTIVE FIFTY DOUBLE BUBBLE
  • ... double bubble or double gurgle (under bucket-loads of rain)?

Chapeau to you, Robbie and to everyone else who's amphibious enough to ride
  • Now 7am but raining hard and no sign of easing up according to weather reports. It's not floating ( excuse pun) my boat so will give it a miss. Cycle safe if you venture out.
  • Just been out in the garden - rain heavy and persistent. Last night's enthusiasm has evaporated and I'm going to try and get out later.
  • Two setting off. Looks ok ish.... for ducks
  • Robbie - You are rule #9

The CX crowd will be out at Welwyn today and Derby Nationals tomorrow
  • Go Robbie and (?) Andy

Looking on the bright side: the good thing about fat is that (unlike sugars) it won't dissolve in the rain!
  • Think it will be Robbie and Nathan. Both need at least 50miles for the badge.

I was out with the dogs for a couple of hours - a really nasty day.
  • FROZEN no not the film but my bloody feet. Guilt trip for not going at 8am I met up with Robbie and Nathan at Haslingfield. Weather was wet and cold. Massive respect to both of them for finishing. I managed to do 58m and was relieved to remove wet gear and defrost my hands and feet. Pleased to have joined them and enjoyed the chat...or was that just the sound of our teeth chattering!!!
  • edited January 2015
    Six and half hours with two short stops at shops for bananas... Big thanks Graham helping to keep us smiling and effort on the front. Feet went three various shades of red blue purple in the shower. Having a protein recovery drink with brandy I'm to sort myself out.
  • Recipe for recovery drink:
    Made in nutribullet

Half pint Full fat milk
    Lemon
    Orange
    2 powdered eggs whites
    Various nuts and seeds
    Half cup French Brandy

(Feet are better now!)
  • You all have massive respect for going out on the bikes in that filth today....chapeau!

....bad enough walking the dogs up around Pegsden Hills...just awful.

Rule 9 indeed.
  • Respect guys - great effort. Ever so slightly jealous of that tired glowing feeling after a long hard ride.

Graham - I too felt guilty about standing these guys up. Think we all persuaded ourselves not to ride on the forum this morning.
  • Jeremy, About 10.30 it looked brighter so I ventured out, secretly, I was hoping I wouldn't bump into them as I knew I would have to stick with them......having as much luck as Glasgow Rangers I saw them at Haslingfield.boo hoo!
    The rest is history. Very wet and cold but did not feel bad about missing start as I was frozen after 59 miles. But as you mentioned the after glow on finishing is gratefully wafting over me as I type.