Welcome to the forum

Sunday 4th - club runs

edited January 2015 in Club runs
Hi everyone,

I am finally allowed out to play tomorrow! Still very much 'starting' for next season so in a bit of a pickle which club run to go on tomorrow.

Can anyone give an indication on route/pace?

Alex

Comments

• on sundays you have the:

9:00
    'nasties' which is 60-18 average 18mph
    the general club run is 40-60 miles at around 15mph average

9:30
    30-60 15mph average
  • Guy's

Will be at the tuns @ 9.00 we can see who turns up , how far, how fast, its been a long xmas break for me so i don't think i will be on a flyer.

See you in the morning hopefully no ice ?.

Strappy
  • I hope you guys have looked at the weather forecast.
    Heard today a few clubs have cancelled their club runs for tomorrow....
  • BBC forecast is 2 - 3C, thick cloud and gentle breeze.
    Hopefully not icy on the road.
    I plan to be there for a "club" pace ride.
  • 4-5mph westerly freezing up to 3deg and sunny so taking a couple of friends out for a nice flat ride tomorrow. That's Durham for you.
  • FDFD
    edited January 2015
    Not planning on being out tomorrow morning.

BBC forecast just now for Ashwell tomorrow is for 0C at 9am, 'rising' to 1C by midday:

Sunday
    A cold and frosty start with winter sunshine for most, however, any freezing fog patches may be slow to lift. Turning cloudier from the west later.

Take care on those roads.

FD
  • No rain so will be out at 9am, wrapped up very warm. Will have to pick a sensible route as the minor roads will not have been deiced but there should be rideable roads.
  • Hopefully will be there in morning. Leaving Hitchin at 8 so should be with you for 9.
  • Just been out for the papers first time in ages not used the bike it's very slippery.

If you have turbo use it.

might pop out later if it warms up ?.

see you next week.

A very disappointed

Strappy
  • Up here on the high ground at Sandon it is freezingfog, visibility below 100m.
    Last I read, the Met Office predicted it lasting much of the morning, sunshine after lunch.
  • It's cold but mainly water on my road so while cold is not as icy as recently. Will be riding today with bright lights
  • Might have a look this afternoon but for now it looks like I'm back on the turbo....
  • 9.30 a no go for me this morning,
    let's hope the weather improves shortly,
    too much turbo makes dull riding.
    Try again next weekend

CTJ
  • Roads very slippy - lots of black ice. After several slips and slides I turned back and spent some time on the rollers. Be careful out there.
  • Cambridge CC and Hitchin Nomads have cancelled their club runs. Really not worth even trying to go out.
  • Three out this morning at 9.am. Mark C, Ben (new to the club). We road carefully through hinxworth, over Langford, to Biggleswade, Potton and Longstowe. At this point, with ice forming on bikes and clothing and some slightly less than thermal glove wearing meant we cut back to Arrington and Wendy back to Guilden Morden for coffee at mine. Mark has turned to the Paleo psychosis catosis diet. Another Andy convert. So was lacking in energy while he goes through the two week cold turkey stage. It was a steady and enjoyable ride. Warming up nicely at last. Mark has just informed Jane ( my partner) that he hasn't bonked in ages and then gave her a new year hug. she was not familiar with the cycling terminology. A classic moment.
    35 steady miles. Was good to get out albeit on larger roads. Very glad of the full night ride lights in the fog.
  • 90 mins on the much loathed turbo for me.

Bored witless, even while watching the highlights of the 2013 TdF.

Still, better than nowt?

Static Dutchman
  • Well we had a wonderful ride oop north. A steady 32 miles on a "flat" route with coffee and a slice of crimble cake for reward afterwards. Stuart is just getting back to cycling but looks like he will give me a hard time when fit again. Quiet roads and only ice in the puddles. Beautiful sunshine and just dusk now with a clear sky and full moon. Very cold tonight I reckon. Sorry you couldn't ride much :-)
  • edited January 2015
    Much talk of Paleo diet.
    Did anyone read the Saturday Telegraph this w/end?

Article on swimming the channel, of course the swimmer in question had a huge bowl of porridge before setting off, plus talk of on-the-move feeding (carb' gels).
    13hrs and 47 mins in the v cold waters - I was at the White Horse Pub in Dover on the 30th, where swimmers get to sign their names post a successful; swim - interesting rogues gallery.

See image below - if it finally works, if not: https://flic.kr/p/qoKrfg
    image_DSC6686" alt="ajdshbc" />
  • Went out at around 12 for 40 miles. Still cold but at least not slippery!

See you guys soon.

Alex
  • Did manage to get out at 12.30 roads were ok by then still foggy very cold - 1.5 degrees.

all ok till i got a rear puncture couldn't even fix it my hands were frozen so i done what any old tyre fitter would do
    Rode it home FLAT finished on 37.5 @ 17.7.

Better than nothing i suppose roll on spring.

Strappy.
  • edited January 2015
    Was a very cold ride but very enjoyable. Thought my gloves were going to be good enough but with freezing fog forming ice and frost on them was obviously too much. Glad I stopped at Vincents house for a coffee and warm up before riding back to Hitchin. Clocked up 56 miles all in all, not bad considering conditions. Thanks guys :-)