Welcome to the forum

Wiggo's Swansong

edited January 2015 in General

Comments

• I don't know wether this is a bit harsh but I just can't see him winning it. Whilst I don't doubt he has the constitution I just don't think he has the build for it.
  • Wiggo will be sadly missed. I can remember the early days when he was riding premier calendar stuff for Team Brite in the 90s. Great character and a talisman for UK road racing. It is a big disappointment that he missed the TdF in 2013 and 2014. I think he can win Paris Roubaix enough help from Team Sky. Suspect the team will bury themselves trying.
  • I think its maybe possible. Of course there is a bit of a lottery element in road racing and especially in PR. As well as top form you need the gods of the cobbles on your side. Well chuffed with a podium?

Then he's back on the track, the hour record, probably in London. Thats going to be a hot ticket. And whats the likely hood of riding the Gent 6 again in the next year or two. Born there, won there before with Cav. Ill be keeping an eye on those tickets too!

Just seen he's setting up his own team as well. Interesting year for Wiggo
  • dead right Tim. Luck has to play an enormous part in a win on the cobbles. Only ridden a few sections in Belgium and at club pace. Was nearly shaken to pieces. The gaps, the wet and mud make them lethal. Was cream crackered also so fitness is paramount. Has to be the toughestrace one day anywhere.
    Anywhere up front is brilliant and a podium the icing. Good luck to him.
    Just seen his young british talent team list...impressve. Really sad that Dave Brailsford has favoured international talent above British up and coming youth. Guess he needs to show results for Sky investment rather than predominantly slower development of UK talent.
    All good for cycling here in UK.
  • Speaking of PR..

Something closer to home for those that may be interested Tour of Black Country 15 unpaved sectors and a velodrome finish!
  • D'oh - same day as the Ixworth crits!
  • Jamie, I think you were looking at last years dates.
    Tour of The Black Country is Sunday 10th May, Ixworth is the Monday before (4th May)
    I spent many hours at Aldersley Stadium in my youth - that was when I could run and didn't have to sit down to exercise!

Neil