Welcome to the forum

Sunday 18th 9.00 club run

edited January 2015 in General
Was hoping to be out this Sunday but like all the other rides will be keeping an eye on the weather. Looks like snow is a possibility in which case i wont be out on the road, might cx. ...flippin weather.

Comments

• Forecast now seems to be saying no snow tomorrow but temperature around zero at 9.00.
    Will probably make a desision in the morning and will be at the Tuns at 9.00 but not sure if road or cx. Dont like this in between weather, would be better if it was a hard frost or not at all. ...aarrrgh.
  • Could start a bit later?
    Garmin said temperature during David's 10am ride today ranged from 0 to 1.5 degrees, but we kept to gritted roads and the surface was fine
    It was pretty dry though ... possibly won't be as lucky tomorrow?
  • I'll be there at 9, I reckon it'll be better than today, forecast isn't as cold.
  • I think we will be ok as Tom says. The forecast is for no change of temp, 1 or 2 degrees all day so no point in going later. The only slight problem might be the rain in the early hours. I am planning on a 40 mile club run, probably Barton, comberton, Bourn.

The road from Ab Pig to Littlington is always bad, so if thats ok we should be fine. if it isn't ill post here.

At least there is no wind, don't like the windy weather.
  • On my way
    Hope I wont be alone
  • hope you all have a good ride. Snowing with a vengeance in Teesdale now. Just back from a session in Manchester velodrome last night...4 hours so at least some cycling. Actually back at 2am, but needed some sleep to recover.
    Having to do rollers and turbo as the roads are snowed or icy and the winds are something else. Lost half of one of the stone barns near the river last week due to the strong winds. These are 2ft thick stone walls so go reckon !!!!!!!
  • We managed to find the sketchiest bit of road in all of Hertfordshire, 500m+ of black ice with Cam and Strappy both going down, miraculously Tom and I stayed upright, until Tom stopped, turned round and then slipped over!

Strappy, hope the hip is ok and you get your bike fixed up. A few miles later and my mech hanger gave up the ghost and I had to be rescued too. All in all a less than satisfactory ride.

Hope the other group were all ok?
  • Oooh, sorry to hear that. Hope you are all ok.

We were fine, no problems but it was a very borderline day.
  • Guy's

I am fine just road rash in the usual places, a massive thanks to tom & his dad for coming to rescue me and drive me all the way home .

i think my bike is scrap it's snapped off the mech but off the frame not the drop out i will take into work tomorrow get my mate to look at it.

I might have jinxed it at the tuns when i spoke phil and tim about a new winter bike with brake discs ooops.

Hope to see you all next week ( BIKE PERMITTING ).

thanks to all on the ride for helping.

Strappy.
  • edited January 2015
    That's tough, Strappy. Hope you heal fast and that the bike can be saved

Thanking my lucky stars that Tim's group stuck to gritted roads. Garmin says temperature dropped below freezing for about half of my ride. It was great to see the sunshine - just wish I could've felt it too

Good news: think we might have banished the puncture fairy from Iain's bike
  • ouch - hope things mend quickly Strappy.

Puncture fairy back for me - after picking up a flint on the way out (in the new tyre) picked up another one coming back into ashwell! Bring on spring!
    Iain
  • Hope your bike is sorted out quickly Strappy! Heard you are already some serious miles in preparation for the Marmotte!

Iain, can't believe you another puncture coming into Ashwell. Hope you got home ok.

Had a lovely ride once the sun came out - my Garmin registered a few seconds above 0 degrees but mostly -1/-2.

Good route Tim!
  • I spoke too soon :(
  • Good to hear that folks got out but not the crashes. Was Cam ok?

Strappy, I landed on my hip in December's ice. Saw a chiropractor last week to get realigned and all the stiffness taken out of the legs and back. Might be worth getting the same once the surface injuries are healed.
  • Update

BIKE SCRAP ...... will have to pop down metal & waste in Hitchin and weigh it in .

In negotiation with skelders bike store for possible replacement.

If not plenty of sales about got a few options.

Jeremy cam was fine, slid for a while on that toboggan run but i won by 20 yards easy .

See you all soon.

Strappy
  • Thats a bummer Strappy, if Skelders bike store doesn't work out you can borrow my Boardman in the interim.
  • Heal quickly well Strappy.

I have a Dolan winter frame in the shed if you want to borrow it let me know
  • Tim , James

Thanks for the offer but i would never live it down if trashed yours as well , seen a nice trek domane 4.0 on sale at grafham water shop .

just up my street guess what colour ! . Its got low end kit on it but shouldn't be too long before i wear that out.

might get it tomorrow if i can dodge of work for an hour or so.

thanks

Strappy.
  • edited January 2015
    couldnt you swap over your 105 with the tiagra then sell the tiagra gorupset?
  • Hi Strappy,

I just had a look at those Domane bikes. They look like good value and you have options to use the bits from your trashed bike. Another option is to spend that sort of money on a new frame. You could get something really nice if you were happy with 2014 colours.

Will had a nice looking Kinesis for sale that had good kit on it. Might be worth considering if it fits and he still has it for sale.
    Jeremy
  • Guy's

Already stripped all the 105 kit from the old bike it's all in good nick so will have that ready to fit on the bike if needed.

Jeremy 2014 colours are fine what frame was you thinking about anything in particular always open to ideas.

Thanks

Strappy.