Welcome to the forum

Ride Of The 3 Cafes, CCA Spring Classic! Fri 20 Mar 8.30am - coffee from 8.15am

edited November 2014 in General
null

Ride Of The Three Cafes... the new CCA spring classic for 2015!

A ride from Ashwell for all, with two distances;

'The Continental'
Point-to-point with a train back. 60 miles approx. Doable by any regular Club runner, I'd say.

'The Full English'
A circular 118 miles [route TBC] of cycling fun n' frothy coffee.

Want more details and the opportunity to buy an official limited edition ROT3C mug? You'll just have to get to the CCA London-Baldock social, Fri, 12th Dec for all that. See the Sticky at the top of the forum.

All welcome

Martin
07977 652 247

Comments

• It's a proper mug. Not a la-di-da one. Official photo;

null
  • Phew, wouldnt want a la-di-da one. Looks great Martin!
  • nearer the time i'll post a warm up ride or two in preparation for the new spring classic ROT3C.
    extended club runs for those looking to up their miles ready for the big one.

if the new spring classic is Gent-Wevelgem, these rides will be more Omloop Het Nieuwsblad
  • edited February 2015
    Hi all

OK… all systems go for the Ride Of The 3 Cafes 2015. All welcome - CCA members or not. The Friday before the epic Milan-San Remo…

Friday 20th March, 8.30am, Three Tuns, Ashwell.

Sorry: I just can’t get a weekend for those who can’t get Friday off. I hope the sister-classic bank hol G-RIDE two weeks after makes up for that.

ROT3C route…

http://www.plotaroute.com/route/24003

The Full English route is 118 miles of Suffolk based ‘hell’. The pace a la the season closing Wells 123 Classic is all-inclusive club run styley. I’d say approx 16mph av. It’ll be a full day and note sunset is at 6pm on that day. An adventure! A bit lumpy. Likely a bit grimy. Bring. It. On.

The Continental route ticks off two of the cafes and is approx 60 miles to Bury St Edmunds station, for a relaxing train ride back to Ashwell via Cambridge station.

So it's a Classic for everyone.

The roads and lanes may require a little more single file here and there than perhaps the Wells 123. And there is a small section [2.5 miles] of A-road around Highpoint Prison. Though it looks light in traffic and is wide. As ever, we will do whatever we need to do to stay safe.

Cafe 1
    The Blue Egg
    35 miles

‘Hi Alex Dowsett. How’s the collarbone? Can I get me hour record ticket money back?’. No ride with ‘cafe’ in the title would be right without this leg end in the mix.
    http://www.theblueegg.co.uk/kneadfood.html
    Comes highly Cav recommended: https://twitter.com/markcavendish/status/346994102845444096

Cafe 2
    Maglia Rosso
    62 miles

A right proper destination to mark out the furthest point of the ride and new mecca for cycling cafe hunters, complete with converted pub garden into a cyclo-cross track. If there’s enough of us going, I’ll have a word to prep a ROT3C cake to celebrate.
    http://www.magliarosso.co.uk/the-cafe/
    Review: https://hiddentreasuresofburystedmunds.wordpress.com/2014/05/25/cycle-on-in-to-maglia-rosso/
    From the air: Link

Bonus cafe!
    Adam’s Cafe [formerly Tubby T’s] as mentioned recently by Cambridge CTC.
    75 miles
    No one can accuse CC Ashwell of not keeping it real as we’ll be stopping off at cycle stop-off classic and Highgate Prison’s favourite pre-lock-up caff for a super quick Twix.

Cafe 3
    Mocha
    93 miles

Saffron Walden’s greasy spoon, tucked away making builder’s tea and butties for 40 years.
    http://themocha.co.uk
    Good review: http://cambridgebreakfasts.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/mocha-cafe-saffron-walden.html

Whatever your goals this season, this ride is likely a good test and achievement. I have several commemorative mugs still for sale. And [drum roll..] there is a badge for every finisher, dispensed at The Three Tuns. Make mine a “Clubman’s Brandy” please!
  • Looks like a great day out. At work so won't be able to make it.

I have in the past been to a keep fit class with the owner operator of Mocha and not sure if he would take kindly to Greasy Spoon ????

Sure he would like a group of hungry cyclists though.
  • Looks great, im in! going to be tough but great spring training.
  • This goes over my old neck of the woods, count me in as a keen bean!
  • I'm in.. No Belgian Beer this time. I'm sticking to special brew
  • Martin - as discussed, have put this in the diary. It will be epic.
  • Epic Indeed. Can't Wait. The Cafe's Sound Brilliant. Blue Egg ofc! Soup Looks Damn good.
  • Day off booked and looking forward to a great day out on the bikes.
  • Great stuff. So far...

Martin L
    Tim D
    Tom C
    Jess L
    Adam C
    Nathaniel R
    Jeremy P

I will contact one-year-time-trial chap Steve Abraham and see if he wants to join for some or all of it. Not sure of his rules and the effects of peloton drafting though. We'll be around his pace.
  • Put me down for the Full English as well Martin. Might be last club ride opp for me for a while as moving west end of March.
  • Great. We'll raise a toast to thank you for all your CCA contribution and success, over beans on toast, in Cafe 2.

Martin L
    Tim D
    Tom C
    Jess L
    Adam C
    Nathaniel R
    Jeremy P
    John P
  • Martin,
    Please include me for the ride......would be ride not to!

Graham
  • Martin L
    Tim D
    Tom C
    Jess L
    Adam C
    Nathaniel R
    Jeremy P
    John P
    Graham D

If we get to 12 riders, I'll take it to DEFCON 1 and order us a big fat CCA cake at Maglia Rosso.
  • got to be back early afternoon, but hope to join for at least 1 cafe.

the A road by the prison is no problem at all by the way. (not that i'm a regular visitor or anything)
  • I'm in......for the full English.......you'd be a mug not to!!!
  • The Full English for me please! And i will purchase a mug if their is one left :-)
  • edited February 2015
    Martin L
    Tim D
    Tom C
    Jess L
    Adam C
    Nathaniel R
    Jeremy P
    John P
    Graham D
    Stef D
    Phil K
    Beny R
    Will S

I have maybe 9 mugs left. Apparently dishwasher proof: I've been too chicken to find out. Will bring to March club pub night, Tues 3rd March, Three Tuns.
  • Appreciate I'm not a member yet but I'd be up for 'The Continental'. And get the train home on my own... ;)

Scott,
  • I'll give it a go. Full English or Classic to be decided nearer the time.
  • I'm hoping to make it too
  • Martin L
    Tim D
    Tom C
    Jess L
    Adam C
    Nathaniel R
    Jeremy P
    John P
    Graham D
    Stef D
    Phil K
    Beny R
    Will S
    Scott R
    John R
    Simon R
    Peter G

null
  • Will try to be there got to get back on the bike.
  • edited February 2015
    Martin L
    Tim D
    Tom C
    Jess L
    Adam C
    Nathaniel R
    Jeremy P
    John P
    Graham D
    Stef D
    Phil K
    Beny R
    Will S
    Scott R
    John R
    Simon R
    Peter G
    Martin H
    Vince F
    Robbie L
  • I'd definitely be up for this!
  • Since I already have the mug, better do the ride! I will do the 'Continental', maybe upgrade to a 'Full English' en-route!