Welcome to the forum

Rim wear

edited March 2015 in General
I replaced a rim on a wheel Theo was using as he was concerned that the braking surface was concave and he was worried about adverse wear. Furthermore he could hear a 'click' sound once per rev.

It turns out his concern was justified. In the photo below you can see one side is heavily worn.

In the next photo you can see the view from the other end of the section I cut out. Here you can see that a crack has started on the more worn side; I assume this moving is the 'click' sound Theo was hearing.

Looking back I think this wear was caused by a brake rubbing a bit last winter when I was using the wheel.

So a cautionary tale to check your rims for adverse winter wear and be particularly suspicious of concave braking surfaces. The rim was a Mavic Open Pro.

Comments

• interesting to see this dan thnks for posting
  • wowDaniel. That's close to crumble time. Good call.
    I'm going to check my mavics and the rest. Time to clean out thoroughly any muck in the pads and change them if necessary. Think we all tend to roll on and brakes are so crucial.
  • I've had catastrophic failure of Mavic rims on my old MTB. Was riding along and the back wheel literally exploded. Happened to me twice during the V brake era.

Definitely worth checking rims for wear and a great excuse to buy some nice new wheels for Spring :)